IGNORED

TI-99 - DOCs, Manuals, eBooks, Lost & Found

Schmitzi

Hmm- discovery.   In TIHOME Tidings v2n4 August 1982, above. there is a brief reference to Scientific American of July 1982 and a program for the TI99/4 called QUADCUBE.
Quadcube is not to be found in the TI Gamebase and does not seem widely known.
It was written in TI Basic and commercially sold by Linear Aesthetic Systems.  
They came from  West Cornwall, Connecticut.
They also had a mention in issue 5 of David Singmaster's "Cubic Circular".

I have now tracked down a copy and the attached DSK file contains the interesting simulation of a 4x4x4 puzzle cube. This program is copyright 1981.
The file QUADCUBE is purely TI Basic.
Note 1: It will not run in TI Basic from disk even with CALL FILES(1).
Note 2: It will not run in Extended Basic due to the use of the extra charsets.

Therefore I have added to the disk QCUBEX which has added the vdp utility that allows such a program to run in XB.  The program awaits input- either 3 keys (eg R then X then 2) or keys S or U, or A.    if nothing is happening it awaits either the 2nd or 3rd key following R or L.  Note that this is a 99/4 program and expects CAPITAL LETTERS.  You may be able to add visual feedback of key press awaited and made.

Have fun.       bb

quadcube.png

cubes.dsk

• Like 7

Just as a side note - I had some of these Rubik's Puzzles back in the 80es, and I also had a booklet with solutions for the 3x3x3 standard cube. I also had a 4x4x4, but never solved it (only by taking apart).

Ernő Rubik is an architect and sculptor and professor of Architecture, but not a Mathematician. It was purported that he invented this toy to teach his students logical thinking in 3D.

I remember that during my Math studies, I once tried to derive formulae for operations on the 2x2x2 cube but soon gave up, since I could not come up with a suitable model. A few years ago, I found a paper on the topological and algebraic properties of the 3x3x3 cube (267 pages) that showed how complicated a model for this structure is and how to derive operations from it. (http://www.logicalpoetry.com/rubik/math_joyner.pdf)

I always suspected that there was something weird about his purported intentions. The Cube is definitely not suitable for students (unless you want to definitely discourage them to learn Mathematics), or its suitability was just a claim, but I just read about the actual background: it was solving the structural problem of moving the parts independently without the entire mechanism falling apart.

• Like 3

A zip file of hi res clean TIF images of the 12 pages of the

ASGARD SOFTWARE CATALOG 1990-91

for you to read, ocr, print or pdf as you wish.

My next project for the weekend is a very thick UK magazine- over 100 pages. It will be in two very large parts over two weeks.

My thoughts are to present with Part 2  a contents summary as a separate downloadable  text file rather than take up room here.  Also as there are a lot of software adverts, including many that are unknown and probably lost, a separate text file listing the software advertised and indicating if I know of a current source - many of the titles are in the category Mythical.  What do you think?  Add a  note below or message me your thoughts, before 26th Nov please!

asgard catalog 90_91.zip

• Like 7

Here is a zip of clean hi res TIF images for you to read, print, OCR or PDF from
TIHOME TIDINGS V3 N2 May 1983 part 1
108 pages, A5, two spine staples.
This has a lot of content and is in two parts- part one today and part two next week.  Next week I will also add text files in PDF form listing the Contents and separately a list of the advertised software and where you can find some of it.  A lot of the advertised material is so rare it is mythical (in the "never been seen" category).
This first part has a small games listing from Lantern Software and the listing for Peter Brook's 3-D Noughts and Crosses. And a lot more.
bb

tihome_tidings_V3_N2_May83_pt1.zip

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I am looking for the manual for the DEBUG program by T&J Software (I think from Tom Freeman) that was released for MDOS/Geneve.  I have the disk, but can not locate my manual.  I pulled the disk up Saturday, and I think the filename was TDEBUG, along with several other files that looked like it may have been configured for loading onto different memory pages within the Geneve.

Beery

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 9640News said:

I am looking for the manual for the DEBUG program by T&J Software (I think from Tom Freeman) that was released for MDOS/Geneve.  I have the disk, but can not locate my manual.  I pulled the disk up Saturday, and I think the filename was TDEBUG, along with several other files that looked like it may have been configured for loading onto different memory pages within the Geneve.

Beery

Found it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here is a zip of clean hi res TIF images for you to read, print, OCR or PDF from
TIHOME TIDINGS V3 N2 May 1983 part 2
108 pages, A5, two spine staples.
This has a lot of content and is in two parts- part two today.

Not in the wht archive yet so please feel free to add it there.

Also two pdf files for you- one has detailed contents listing for this magazine, the other one lists the advertised programs, a bit of info about them, and when known where you can find them today.

enjoy.

Next up will be another thick magazine, from Chicago- their bumper issue for the 5th Chicago TI Faire, with lots of adverts.

tihome_tidings_V3_N2_May83_pt2.zip v3n2contents.pdf v3n2swadverts.pdf

• Like 7

Chicago TImes Oct 1987  part 1

96 pages, A5, two spine staples. Blue cover, other pages white.
This has a lot of content and is in two parts- part one today and part two next week. 
Next week I will also add a text file in PDF form listing the contents in detail.
Part one includes an early history of the Faire- this issue is a bumper issue for the fifth annual Chicago TI Faire, and is full of adverts.

bb

chicago_oct_87_pt1.zip

• Like 4

Chicago TImes Oct 1987  part 2 

also a text file in PDF form listing the contents in detail.
This issue is a bumper issue for the fifth annual Chicago TI Faire, and is full of adverts.

bb

chicago_oct_87_pt2.zip Chicago Oct 87 contents.pdf

• Like 6

I can currently only access atariage without scripting as I have to use an external proxy that removes scripts- this is due to the server for atariage today only accepting https using elliptical curve.
This means I cannot post documents right now.
I am trying to upgrade my system to use elliptical curve https, this but it is a long complex job- all my computers are a decade old plus. Setting servers to only use this method does NOT increase security but just shuts some folks out...
I may be absent for some time. Pity- I had some Christmas goodies to share.... oh well. bb

• Sad 2

Hurray, back on board again. Thank you Albert.

I have lost some time, so in order to get seasonal issues here I will put aside TI*MES 17 for now - I will get back to it, as it is historic!  server settings permitting! - and move quickly on to TI*MES 18, November 1987.

Again in two parts- this is part one, a zip of hi res clean TIF images.

I had to retype some of the pages which were far too pale. As this was only the second issue under "new management" (wait for No17 to come) there were a couple of errors, but things got better when we got to 19 which will follow next year.

I will issue a contents list with part two in a few days....

TI*MES 18 November 1987 Part 1:

times_(uk)_No_18_Nov87_pt1.zip

• Like 5

A special seasonal offering, with a ZIP file containing TIF images of the UK User Group magazine:
TI*MES No 18  Autumn 1987  (November 1987) - Part Two

for you to read, ocr, print or pdf- also as this is not on wht please feel free to add it there.

Also in this post are a couple of screen grabs of programs in the magazine and a dsk file with two programs, both in TI Basic (will not run in Extended Basic) - the disk files are called TREE (Maurice Rymill) and BRKOUT (Geoffrey Coan). Plus a pdf with detailed contents.
In this issue is a Christmas listing for LOGO 2 and a c99 listing of John Behnke's Spider Bop. And an assembly listing to allow you to use CHARA1 fonts in an Extended Basic program. Lots more.  Enjoy.
I'n now working on a seasonal offering from Chicago but I expect my next post will be TI*MES 17- will have to see how time allows.
bb

times87bkout.jpg

times87xmas.jpg

TIMES_18_Contents.pdf times_(uk)_No_18_Nov87_pt2.zip XMAS21.dsk

• Like 8

You will notice the tree graphic is a bit wonky- this is due to my terrible keying in of the program. Alas my eyesight really isn't up to keying in weakly printed listings... some of the HCHAR lines need minor amendment to get it right- generally the column number needs tuning. I'll leave that up to you- your Christmas challenge! back soon -bb

• Like 1

Chicago Nov 87 not quite ready yet so here we are with a zip containing TIF images from:

TI*MES (UK) Issue 17 - Summer 1987 - Part One

This is not yet on WHT so feel free to add it there (or anywhere else...).

Part two will follow for the weekend and I will add a contents list at that time.

Due to low contrast tiny print I had to retype several pages.

Issue 17 is truly historic as reported in the issue- it is the first UK User Magazine to be produced by a "real" User Group with a Committee - not just run by one individual ( or a commercial enterprise.in the case of TI-User and Parco).

bb

times uk No17 Jul87 pt1.zip

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A zip file with TIF images scanned from 
TI*MES (UK) Issue 17 - Summer 1987 - Part Two
and a PDF with a detailed contents list.   There are some great articles from Tony McGovern on what is happening when you use TI Writer and when you use Funlweb.  And a TI Basic listing of Spider Bop by John Behnke.  Lots more.

times_uk_17_Summer87_Contents.pdf times uk No17 Jul87 pt2.zip

• Like 6

Happy Solstice (today 21st at 15.59 UTC) - the days will grow longer and lighter...

Here is a zip file of TIF images scanned from:

Chicago TImes December 31st 1987 - Part 1

for you to read, ocr, pdf or print.

This issue contains two main topics- reports and reviews of the 5th Chicago TI Faire, and Geneve owners unhappy with a costly system that is unfinished and mostly not working.   To balance this issue the next one which I may be posting next week, is comments from owners of the unfinished and mostly not working Geneve who are happy with their purchase.

This issue is not in the wht archive so please feel free to place it there or anywhere else you wish.  Part two will follow in a few days.

The contents of this issue of Chicago times include a review of Command DOS, news of GramKracker changes to tackle late issue consoles and hints of GK usage; program reviews- TI Keys and EZ Keys; another scripted SPAD flight adventure; a short XB program using speech and its Assembly equivalent; Assembly source code to define characters in 40 column mode;  an overview of Graphics programs- printing and compatability; 9640 information plus Geneve support (making it do what you want and thought it did..).

Part 2 to follow then the January 88 issue.

bb

chicago TImes nov 1987_pt1.zip

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

How many of you spotted that my post above (773)  of Part 1 from a Chicago TIMES was headed as December but the zip file contained part one of NOVEMBER.   Sorry, getting carried away...

Here is a zip file of TIF images scanned from:

Chicago TImes November 30th 1987 - Part 2

for you to read, ocr, pdf or print.

Next week I will be posting the December 31st issue.     Then on to another UK TI*MES in the New Year- again one that requires some retyping.

Meanwhile- seasonal greeting to everyone.

NOV87cover.jpg

chicago TImes nov 1987_pt2.zip

• Like 5