IGNORED

TI-99 - DOCs, Manuals, eBooks, Lost & Found

Schmitzi

Here for you to print, read, OCR or PDF is the

Chicago TIMES December 30th 1987 issue.
(Post 773 above had the November 1987 issue although the heading referred to December in error, and also listed the December contents.... aagh).
This zip file contains hi res TIF images and the contents this time really are:
A review of Command DOS, news of GramKracker changes to tackle late issue consoles and hints of GK usage; program reviews- TI Keys and EZ Keys; another scripted SPAD flight adventure; a short XB program using speech and its Assembly equivalent; Assembly source code to define characters in 40 column mode;  an overview of Graphics programs- printing and compatability; 9640 information plus Geneve support (making it do what you want and thought it did..).

This issue is not in the wht archive so please feel free to place it there or anywhere else you wish.

My next offering will be a UK TI*MES which is requiring much clean up work and lots of retyping  (worth it for the content) so it will be a few days away yet. Due to the cleanup work required on these I think I will be down to a magazine every 7 to 10 days for a while.

bb

chicago TImes Dec 1987 cover.jpg

chicago TImes Dec 1987.zip

• Like 4

I am busy working on UK user group magazines  but I took a break and found some more paperwork that has not been readily available, so a bit more easy copying to do.

I started with the hardest which was such a mess I had to retype it in the end, and you almost certainly know the program anyway, but here for posterity is a recreation of the documentation of

Quinton Tormanen's MINE FIELD, published by Comprodine in 1991.

It is already in searchable pdf format for you- only the cover is in image form.

Happy 1992...

bb

minefieldsmall.jpg

minefield_docs_retyped.pdf

• Like 5

I should perhaps add that the PDF is A4 size based as was the ORIGINAL documentation. However the game as sold used documentation reduced by photocopying to A5 size. Many PDF printing programs allow you to reduce the printing size or even to print two pages per A4 page sideways.
I noticed a small typo due to using speech to text software (which is pretty good these days, and a real aid when eyesight is diminished) , in one place the word squares is mis-spelled. I can repost with correction if you wish! bb

• Like 2

Another New Year goody- a UK rarity.
Back in the good old days the UK TI User could buy their TIfix from a small dealer in Maidstone (Galaxy) or a huge warehouse in Honiton, Devon - Parco.  Details of ownership were never divulged but Parco was Frances Parrish- I have placed scans of their TI magazine on here previously.
Frances was helped out initially by Harry Pridmore, who left Parco in 1985 to start a tiny computer supply business, New Day Computing - not initially serving the TI but as it was Harry's first love, he could not avoid drifting back to supporting it.  This is his introductory newsletter, announcing a TI magazine on tape or disk- 4Front.  This did not last very long, and was not too well known.  I can find only one issue of the Diskazine, issue 2 which has a small contribution from me.  Main content would be two games- Gangster Alley by Graham Marshall and Tanks by R Hepplewhite.  I play Gangster Alley from time to time- it is NOT in the TI Gamebase. I don't think this version of Tanks is in the Gamebase either.
 The diskazine was initially two x 90k disks- I can't recall if it was two disks or a flippy. Here as two 180k disks as I couldn't establish what to leave off disk one... disk two is 358 sectors.
  Good people- I present 4FRONT issue 2.  Consider it a rarity. If anyone has other copies, please share.

ND4f1.dsk ND4f2.dsk newday1.tif newday2.tif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Amazing what you can find - and a pity so many old TI disks have lost their data.... ho hum.
Here for your further entertainment is all I can locate of the other 4Front Diskazines- as far as I can tell the disk contents should be accessible from the menu structure on the disk.  There could be remnants of deleted files which will not be referenced anywhere except perhaps a disk directory.
New Day Computing diskazine 4Front- Issues 1,3,4:-
Here is Issue 1 (two sides), Issue 3 (two sides) and Issue 4 (two sides) - for issue 3 I'm afraid that side one was horribly corrupt and irrecoverable, so only side 2 is here.

IMPORTANT- the bit map structure of these 5  disks is not guaranteed and you should not try to modify anything on these disks (do not write to them)  as damage may not be immediately obvious. At least keep a safe unchanged copy!  Also some XB programs use hidden assembly code which would be destroyed by editing the programs.
Enjoy these rarities.  bb

4FNo1_Part_b.dsk 4FNo1_Pt_A.dsk 4FNo3_Part_b.dsk 4FNo4_Part_a.dsk 4FNo4_Part_b.dsk

Edited by blackbox
warning re corruption
  • Like 6

Finished my Tenex catalogue business, so here are three more new Tenex catalogue scans, and one for which I deemed the prior scan inadequate (it was monochrome, and the catalogue was in colour):

Tenex Summer-Fall 1984 Catalogue.pdf

Tenex Summer 1986 Catalogue.pdf

Tenex Summer 1985 Catalogue.pdf

Tenex Fall 1986 Catalogue.pdf

Covers are as follows for the collected Tenex catalogues for which (with these additions) digital copies exist. 

Just screencapping from where I'm now collecting them on my manuals site:

image.png.1660a58dcfe52c67a63b094c1fd86971.png

The covers of the Summer 1985 and Winter-Spring 1985 catalogues are nearly identical, but the contents are non-identical.  They just reused the cover design.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Two unusual items today.

1.  A catalog of Fairware programs from Don Shorock- there are not many printed TI fairware catalogs about. This is Catalog #3, February 1990 - Don Shorock Fairware.

2. A massive piece of broadsheet newsprint, measuring 750 x 420mm, and far too big for my little scanner! This is a mailing of a catalog by DATABASE in Honiton, England.  I have scanned it as best I can but it is very piecemeal!

Story- TI UK users were well served my a mail order business PARCO in Honiton. They even produced a TI magazine for two years. No statement of ownership but Parco was Frances Parrish.   I was aware that Frances was struggling by late 1987 but I never heard of any TI User having any problems with orders.

In the post one day this paper arrived, from a supplier called DATABASE. No statement of ownership but the telephone number was the same as was used by Parco- and Database was in Honiton.

Subsequently the name, stock and mailing list seem to have been sold to a person in South Wales (he managed to produce a simple text listing) - I tried a couple of orders but my experience was very negative in both cases.  I never heard of any other TI User ordering from him or experiencing problems.  THIS mailshot is from the Honiton based DATABASE (formerly but secretly Parco)....

databasephoto.jpg

Database_honiton_pricelist.zip DonShorockFeb1990.zip

• Like 4

Here is a blast from the past- out of order but I just found it and can't find it anywhere else on the 'net...
The UK User Group TI*MES Issue No 2 from Autumn 1983.
A zip file of TIF images at 600dpi.  - read, print, OCR or PDF.  And add to WHT or any other archive! 
This is an historic issue as it has the first article that I wrote for TI*MES- my latest is in the December 2021 issue, some 38 years later- anyone else have a longer run of articles! There are several gaps where I didn't contribute.
What's inside this issue: A look ahead- using computers in schools; a review of the 99/4 magazines available from the USA- Unofficial; IUG; Home Computer Magazine- and a brief note of what is in their latest issues;   a run down of the various peripherals for the 99/4a and a few brief module reviews.   Introduction to Stainless Software.  Using data cassettes. A review of Extended Basic. A lovely hand lettered advert from Christine Computing.  (I have seen a pdf of Issue 2 where this was replaced by a modern style graphic, which is a pity as Christine put some effort into her advert!)

I don't see many of the early issues of TI*MES on the 'net- and given my limited output,  would you prefer the older low number issues or  older issues of TI*MES eg continue from issue 20?  WHTECH has copies of  1,3,4,7,9,10,12,13,16 - is there a demand for a rescan of these or just fill in the gaps?

Issue 19 follows next week.    bb

times uk No2_cover.jpg

times uk No2_Oct1983.zip

• Like 5

3 hours ago, blackbox said:

Here is a blast from the past- out of order but I just found it and can't find it anywhere else on the 'net...
The UK User Group TI*MES Issue No 2 from Autumn 1983.
A zip file of TIF images at 600dpi.  - read, print, OCR or PDF.  And add to WHT or any other archive! 
This is an historic issue as it has the first article that I wrote for TI*MES- my latest is in the December 2021 issue, some 38 years later- anyone else have a longer run of articles! There are several gaps where I didn't contribute.
What's inside this issue: A look ahead- using computers in schools; a review of the 99/4 magazines available from the USA- Unofficial; IUG; Home Computer Magazine- and a brief note of what is in their latest issues;   a run down of the various peripherals for the 99/4a and a few brief module reviews.   Introduction to Stainless Software.  Using data cassettes. A review of Extended Basic. A lovely hand lettered advert from Christine Computing.  (I have seen a pdf of Issue 2 where this was replaced by a modern style graphic, which is a pity as Christine put some effort into her advert!)

I don't see many of the early issues of TI*MES on the 'net- and given my limited output,  would you prefer the older low number issues or  older issues of TI*MES eg continue from issue 20?  WHTECH has copies of  1,3,4,7,9,10,12,13,16 - is there a demand for a rescan of these or just fill in the gaps?

Issue 19 follows next week.    bb

times uk No2_cover.jpg

times uk No2_Oct1983.zip 14.39 MB · 3 downloads

I would say, fill in the gaps first, them compare quality of scans, of the ones that Whtech has, if yours is superior, then use yours instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A zip of hi res (600dpi) clean scans of the UK User Group magazine

TI*MES UK Issue 19 -  Jan 1988 Part 1

for you to read, pdf, ocr or print.

Part two together with a detailed index will be here in a few days.

After that I will add issue 20 to make it a round number, show that the untidy nature of 19 was taken care of! and include the first English code for Turbo Pasc 99.   Then go back and fill in the missing issues- starting with Issue No 5.  I am not (at present) rescanning issues that are on WHT, so do feel free to add issues from here to WHT archive- or anywhere else.

times uk No19 Jan_88_pt1.zip

• Like 4

This is part two of the UK User Group Magazine:
TI*MES UK No 19 Jan 1988 Part 2.
A zip of hi res tif images for you to read, print, ocr or pdf.
Also below is a detailed contents list as a pdf.

I admit that Rambles in this issue was an untidy mess, so will add issue 20 next to show a neater presentation.  Then back to issue 5.

times uk No19 Jan_88 cover.jpg

TIMES UK 19 Jan 88 Contents.pdf times uk No19 Jan_88_pt2.zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TI*MES UK Issue 20 -  April 1988 Part 1

Note that the cover has a wrap around design so I have included front and back cover in one image.

Part two together with a detailed index will be here in a few days.

After that I will go back and fill in the missing issues- starting with Issue No 5.  I am not (at present) rescanning issues that are on WHT, so do feel free to add issues from here to WHT archive- or anywhere else.   Issue 6 looks like a challenge as all the pages are printed off the page especially at the top, I will do my best!  After No20 Part 2, I will deal with Issue 5 which looks good.

times uk No20 April 1988_pt1.zip

• Like 5

This is part two of the UK User Group Magazine:
TI*MES UK No 20 Apr 1988 Part 2.
A zip of hi res tif images for you to read, print, ocr or pdf.
Also below is a detailed contents list as a pdf.

Highlights in this issue: First listing in English for Turbo Pasc 99; detailed article on Funlweb by Tony McGovern; listing for use with Pilot99; building a mini widget into a Romox case.. and more

Next up will be Issue 5 of TI*MES UK - four or five days away.

times_uk_no20_cover.jpg

times uk 20 April 1988 contents.pdf times uk No20 April 1988_pt2.zip

• Like 5

"TI-99/4(A) Home Computer Servicing Manual"  -  1st Edition  by  Jon Stanford, Texas Instruments, Nov. 1982

(there should be a newer version?)

TI-99-4_Home Computer_Servicing Manual_T1-2_Jon-Stanford--Nov-1982-1st-ed-OCR.pdf

Maybe watch out for newer versions here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/330055-994a-servicing-manual/

• Like 5

I discovered something interesting this week. Apparently, TRONICS had a newsletter that they provided to their resellers to keep them motivated, give them practical sales tips, and to tell them about new and upcoming products in the TRONICS catalog. I recently obtained Vol 1 No 3, which I will have to scan in soon, along with the other TRONICS items I've been accumulating over the last couple of years.

• Like 2

TI*MES UK Issue 5 - July 1984 Part 2 

(Feel free to add to any archive of your choice eg WHT etc).

Also a detailed contents pdf, a pdf with some corrections to make, and the cover.

NOTE that the centre pages are a centre-spread and the two pages have been scanned as one page.

Highlights of this issue:  Transferring prk data files to TI Writer DV80 format reports (basic program).  Multi-Colour (screen 48x64)  mode in Basic.

[Issue 6 is to follow in a while- some clean up work in progress- major article on using sound tables in Basic.]

ERROR: The zip file name should be ...July84_pt2.zip, please correct after you download it.
times uk no5_cover.jpg

times uk no5 apr84_pt2.zip times uk No5 July 1984_Contents.pdf times uk No5 July 1984_ERRORS.pdf

Edited by blackbox
zip wrong name
  • Like 3