IGNORED

TI-99 - DOCs, Manuals, eBooks, Lost & Found

Schmitzi

16 hours ago, blackbox said:

Here is part one of two, a zip of hi res TIF images scanned from the pages of the UK User Group:

TI*MES UK Issue 38 - Autumn 1992 - part one - 
80 pages!

Part 2 will follow together with the usual detailed pdf of contents in a few days.  After that, back to TI Lines.

(Incidentally there are so few downloads of the contents pdf- does anyone need a copy in a different format? Pure text?  Doc? Docx? html? sxw? pdb? epub...  I could probably manage TI d/v80 at a pinch but it really wouldn't help much!)

[The content pdf will include an embedded OpenDocument document.]

Some of us do use the contents files, so they are definitely useful.

• Like 4

Here is part two of two, a zip of hi res TIF images scanned from the pages of the UK User Group:

TI*MES UK Issue 38 - Autumn 1992 - part two - 
And also a pdf with a detailed index of the 80 page issue- the pdf is text searchable and has an opendocument embedded.

For me a highlight item is an article on first aid for poorly floppy disks.

TIMES UK No38 Autumn 1992_pt2.zip TIMES UK No 38 Autumn 1992 contents.pdf

• Like 5

Here is a zip of clean hi res TIF images scanned from:
TI-LINES (UK) V4 N7 December 1987
from Peter Brooks in Oxford.
For you to read, print, ocr, pdf, archive (on wht or anywhere else!).

32 pages, white paper, A5 size, two spine staples.

Contents include: 
News of replacement DSR rom for the TI RS232 card, true Centronic cable supported  and variable baud rates including split baud rates.   News that rewritable optical media has been developed (good for several thousand rewrites (hohohohoho...).  ).
Listing-Fibonacci series; 
Recovery from a corrupt Horizon ram disk; 
A review of different disk controllers for the TI- with much technical detail eg timings and interlace patterns.  How to fine tune your system (which makes it less compatible with anyone elses... ); 
The Mini Memory Lines program: Source code for Assembly to run in XB with object code file; and ExBas CALL LOAD version (no assembler required for that one).
Translating text to XB Program- by changing a DV80 file to DV163 for editing into a program file by removing the inserted leading exclamation marks.  (Or you could now use the utility program Textloader)
XB listing- TI Writer Font Maker (for FX80 printer- instructions on how to use it are lacking- it uses the printers ESC codes ESC A and ESC K)

tilines uk v4 n7 Dec 1987_cover.jpg

tilines uk v4 n7 Dec 1987.zip

Edited by blackbox
  • Like 3

Here is a zip of clean hi res TIF images scanned from:
TI-LINES (UK) V4 N8 January 1988
from Peter Brooks in Oxford.
For you to read, print, ocr, pdf, archive (on wht or anywhere else!). 
32 pages, white paper, A5 size, two spine staples. 
Contents include: 
Programs that write programs-Jim Peterson-Parts 3,4,5

Computers use of "least significant" and "most significant" - Or why 0548 656C 7021 is (or could be) the same as 4805 6C65 2170. Or why the TI disk system appears odd.
"The Teaching Computer" by Jim Peterson.  and three reviews of US published 99/4a books.

Connections and code to use the 99/4a as a full keyboard for a Decafax VP1 Viewdata (Prestel) terminal. This connection uses the 4A joystick port, and code is in c99 plus object code. Prestel was a UK invention that was available to the public in 1979- well before the Internet was offered domestically,  but the CEO didn't see any future in domestic dwellings being connected to an information network...they never went past 100,000 subscribers, mostly businesses. 
In 1983 a home computer section opened (Micronet800), which reached 10,000 subscribers, and the TI99/4a had network pages available domestically in the early 1980s.

tilines uk v4 n8 Jan 1988_cover.jpg

tilines uk v4 n8 Jan 1988.zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Here is a zip file of hi res .TIF images, scanned from the User Group magazine:

Chicago TImes January 1987
36 pages, A5 size, blue cover, white paper inside.
For you to read, print, ocr, pdf, or add to an archive of your choice (eg wht)

Contents include:
The IBM Compatible TI- or how to use a TI keyboard and RF-to-TV screen  with a standard IBM Compatible Computer for a large sum of money. (Did anyone buy one of these?? Only $500...)
Prompting the user in Basic; Review of CSGD Set 3; an article on GramKracker; an article on the P Code card; How to use TI Writer formatter to slash those number zeros; news of new software High Gravity and Total Filer..

chicago times Jan1987.zip

chicago times Jan1987_cover.jpg

Edited by blackbox
  • Like 3

Chicago TImes February 1987

PART ONE OF TWO

40 pages, A5 size, blue cover, white paper inside.

Contents of the whole magazine (Parts 1 and 2) include: A reassessment of last months enthusiasm for the "PC Bridge"; a review of The Printers Apprentice v 1.04 reporting many errors in the manual; brief review of PC-Keys 2.0; How to use the joystick in assembly language (Steve Peacock); part two of a modified console rebuild project continued from December 1986;  
Next up after part 2, will be another two parter- an 80 page UK Times, followed by four issues of Chicago TImes and then back to the UK TI*MES.

chicago times Feb 1987_pt1.zip

• Like 4

A quick note regarding the UK Users Group magazine TI*MES which I am currently scanning.
TI*MES was the successor (in terms of members and coverage) of the earlier TIHOME.
Issue One of TI*MES was dated Summer 1983. The latest print issue is dated June 2022.
Possibly the longest published TI99/4a magazine???  I have quite a few to scan still.
I had an article in Issue 2 of Autumn 1983 and I have an article in the issue of June 2022 - there were breaks in between while life threw its usual googlies so not an unbroken record.
I am currently working on scanning  Issue 39 dated Winter 1992/1993. 
The 1992 front cover contains 11 contact names- three of these are known to still be active TI99/4a users- the Chairman in 1992 and 2022 is Trevor Stephens, which may be a record of some sort....
s

• Like 6

TIMES UK No39 Winter 1992/93  Part One of Two

80 pages, A5 size, white cover, white paper inside.

Part two in a few days with the usual PDF of detailed contents with embedded searchable text file.

times uk No39 Winter92_pt1.zip

• Like 2

TIMES UK No39 Winter 1992/93  Part Two of Two

80 pages, A5 size, white cover, white paper inside.
 For you to read, print, ocr, pdf, or add to an archive of your choice (eg wht or archive.org)

Also a PDF with a detailed contents list - it has embedded text and is searchable.

An interesting highlight: Accessing the 9902 UART in Assembly, by Mack McCormick.

times uk No39 Winter92_pt2.zip times uk No 39_Winter92_93_contents.pdf

• Like 4

On 6/10/2022 at 4:32 AM, blackbox said:

Chicago TImes January 1987
36 pages, A5 size, blue cover, white paper inside.

chicago times Jan1987.zip

This takes me back down memory lane… I was a member of CTIUG for a number of years, although my work/grad school/three small kids situation prevented me from making the trek to meetings and Faires. I had forgotten that Dave Wakely, one of the group’s founders, was a student in Loyola’s clinical psychology program when I was there. He got his degree way ahead of me, though. But like me, he must have had experience lugging punch cards over to Loyola’s mainframe for statistics class.

And some of the other names are familiar - I think that Membership Chair Don Jones sometimes went by the moniker “Krome Dome Jonze,” if my memory serves me correctly. I probably have this issue in my pile of musty Chicago TImes issues. The group always had a great sense of humor and delved deep into the TI’s inner workings.

• Like 3

Here is a zip file containing clean hi res scans from the TI99/4a User Group:
Chicago TImes March 1987

A5, 36 pages,blue cover, white pages.
For you to read, print, OCR, PDF or place into the archive of your choice (WHT, archive.org etc)
Note: This issue is an "April 1st" issue and may contain more dubious news than usual!
Contents include a program to scramble the letters in a word by Rich Klein (cut down and resubmitted as by Jim DiNovo in the next issue...); a detailed article by Ann Dhein on using graphics with TI Writer; Steve Peacock shows how to use sprites in Assembly language- and the need to use LIMI 2 / LIMI 0.  Mike Maksimik writes about USCD Pascal.

chicago times March 1987_cover.jpg

chicago times March 1987.zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Chicago TImes April 1987  Part 2 of 2 

For you to read, print, ocr, pdf, or add to an archive of your choice (eg wht or archive.org)

Contents include a somewhat less enthusiastic review of the TI/PC bridge; differing TI Disk file formats; TI Writer Graphics part 2 by Anne Dhein; a program to convert a TI Artist instance (_I) into a TI Writer file to print with the formatter; an assembly tutorial on checking for sprite coincidence; and a uscd pascal article.

chicago times April 1987_cover.jpg

chicago times April 1987_pt2.zip

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chicago TImes May 1987  Part 1 of 2 

For you to read, print, ocr, pdf, or add to an archive of your choice (eg archive.org - I've started to store these old mags on wht myself as no-one else was!)

Part two in a few days...

chicago times May 1987_pt1.zip

• Like 4