IGNORED

TI-99 - DOCs, Manuals, eBooks, Lost & Found

Schmitzi

Appendices to TI Manuals

Clean hi res tif files for you to ocr, pdf or print.

Whether you are an original purchaser or second hand, there is a good chance you don't have all these official changes and notes on various TI Manuals, so here they are in one place- well, two places.

Check the small text file for more detailed info on the contents, but briefly zip1 contains appendices covering the changes between the 4 and the 4A. changes between XB versions 100-110, and general TIB and XB corrections. zip2 covers the floppy drives (may help some having problems) and the change to the PEB from push button switch to rocker switch and the new back panel fuse.

Now doing some really thick cassette program manuals, Programming Aids 1 and Mailing List will be next followed by a cleaned up SPAD XIII. This may take a while. :woozy:

APPX Addendum zip contents.txt

appendix1.zip

appendix2.zip

• Like 4

More documentation in cleaned hi res tif format to ocr, pdf or print:

post-47425-0-75353400-1554552973.pngpost-47425-0-72454700-1554553106.jpgpost-47425-0-53271900-1554553114.jpg

PROGRAMMING AIDS 1- PHT6004 TI cassette for TI99/4. orange cover. "Requires a cassette recorder". The first program supplied is to catalog a diskette... you get display at, accept at, screen print, lower case, second ascii set for highlighting etc, and character definition. Lots of listings to look at.

Mailing List- TI- Disk- PHD5001, TI99/4 manual with blue cover, supplied in the zip with and without the statutory UK Warranty sticker. The manual suggests other uses too. Compatible with the Thermal Printer. All the files on the disk commenced with the name MLIST.

SPAD XIII- Not Polyoptics Diskette. The quality of the manual was pretty poor- I have an original print- so you have a choice- CLEAN which is archivally accurate but not much else and BEST which has many pages with retouched graphics but is therefore not archivally accurate. Yes - Figure 1 was printed after Figure 2. My eyes hurt - time for a rest.

Next up- could be a few days off- the Paragon Enhanced Display Package Vn 2.1 docs.

ProgAids1.zip

mailing_list.zip

Spad_13_clean.zip

Spad_XIII_best.zip

• Like 3

What does "not polyoptics" mean?

Not Polyoptics was an early US based supplier of games for the TI99/4 and TI99/4a.

Founders of Not Polyoptics were Michael Capobianco who later had a science fiction book published, David Harter and Gene Hitz.

Initially successful with tape based TI Basic programs, efforts to move to Extended BASIC programs or disk based programs did not succeed due to the low user base for expanded systems at the time.

Driving along- "What shall we call our software Company...". Hours later---- "we are not going to call it Polyoptics" Thus was born NOT Polyoptics.

So, from the founders, Not Polyoptics means what it says. NOT polyoptics.

Next question, what does Polyoptics mean? Polyoptics and Poly-Optic are registered trade marks of manufacturers of resin glass replacements.... Move along please...

• Like 8

Hi res clean tif files for you to ocr, print or pdf- for -

ENHANCED DISPLAY PACKAGE vn 2.1, written by Curtis Provance, published on disk by PARAGON COMPUTING.

(NOT to be confused with Display Enhancement Package from Oak Tree Systems)

This took a long time. I think I'll look for something smaller for my next effort! Always pleased to have any special requests just in case I have the documentation....

(This package added 40 column support to XB including 40 col equivalents to eg CALL HCHAR, PRINT etc. Also added are vdp peek and load and a vdp register writer etc)

EDP_v21_Paragon.zip

Edited by blackbox
  • Like 6

Three multi-language documents in clean hi res tif format for you to pdf, ocr or just print or read.

post-47425-0-71863400-1555752825.jpg

These documents are presented for archival purposes as each has serious weaknesses. As a group there is no indication of copyright, and no indication of where printed, although circumstantial evidence (eg inward facing guillemets »« suggests Germany). There is no warranty information.

BLASTO PHM3032 European- gb, i, d, ne, f, s

THE ATTACK PHM 3031 European - gb, i, d, nl, f, s

Not credited in these documents but the code for the games was copyright by Milton Bradley. They did not use the MBX system.

The games indicate that joysticks are "necessary" which is not true. I have added for convenience the keyboard keys to use in an extra added page.

TERMINAL EMULATOR II PHM3035 European - gb, f, d, nl, f

This TE2 manual is possibly the worst manual to carry a TI Logo. The original 44 page English manual has been reduced to just over a page. Perhaps odder still space has been given to the "Speech Editor" module, which does not work with TE2. The Speech Editor text refers to technology never marketed and abandoned before the TI99/4A was made-- the modules to fit into the speech synthesiser.

All very strange.

And while posting minimalist documentation, a little gift of the tape cassette inlay card for Mr. D, - produced by SP Software and sold through Stainless Software. I am indebted to Derek Buchanan for this little treat.

post-47425-0-61215100-1555753027_thumb.png

Blasto European Manual.zip

TheAttack European Manual.zip

termemulator2_phm3035e.zip

• Like 4

Just in case you haven't heard of Test Trainer-

The Manual here is for "Compact English Trainer", produced by ILS (Institut Fur Lernsysteme) who offered boxed packages - you received lessons on cassette OR disk and needed a module called "TEST TRAINER 1" which had menu options for German, English and French. Compact English had 3 double sided C60 cassettes I think. The "Test Trainer 1" module was PHM3065.

There are WAV files for the cassettes and two dsk files on whtech.

Edited by blackbox
  • Like 5

Module documentation in clean hi res tif format for you to pdf, ocr or print as you wish. One page per image, text for these is at 480dpi.

Two educational modules written by Scott Foresman (a leading US educational text book publisher).

NUMERATION 1 - PHM3050 ("kindergarten through third grade")

NUMERATION 2 - PHM3051 ("grades 5 through 7")

post-47425-0-14351800-1556376312.jpg

Notice the name of Scott Foresman does not appear on the cover of Numeration 2, but the program is still copyright by them.

Not a lot of documentation for the education modules online now - but I have lots, so I'll see how welcome these two are before digging into the pile.

In the UK sales were low as it was all tied into the US school system and curriculum. Still excellent educational material but at the time - what did "suitable for Grades 5 through 7" mean? Even when the UK started using CLASS 1 or FORM 1 there were still age and curriculum differences. And we changed the method of teaching every few years anyway. In purely age terms Grade 1 seems to be our Year 2. (We currently start with Reception Class as Year 0!). Aaagh. Still good material though.

Numeration_1.zip

Numeration_2.zip

• Like 4

Not too much interest shown in the forum in educational modules so far - but before I move on here are a couple more for you. If interest remains low, I'll put the educational material to the back of the pile.

Documentation presented as hi resolution clean scans in TIF image format at 480dpi. You can ocr these, print them, read them, or make pdf's from them.... versatile..

These are again modules written by educational publishers Scott Foresman and are copyright by them. Let us Read this time.

READING RALLY. "Grades 4 through 6" PHM 3048 (also SF3120)

READING ON "Grades 2 through 4" PHM3046

post-47425-0-60626100-1556720455.jpg

Reading modules were a problem to sell in the UK, as they not only used US spelling, they were also somewhat culturally biased to the US.

READING RALLY is excellent and should perhaps be mandatory for all reporters and commentators- the age range given can certainly be upped. It covers the differences between fact and opinion, the purpose of the author, and bias and connotations. Not covered are changes in the meaning of words with time, locale, and generation. A difficult word for the UK is "billboard" = "advertising hoarding".

READING ON is about reading maps, graphs and "schedules" (UK-timetables) ( and was that SHEDules or SKEDules?)

The final activity is a puzzler and may require a warning or two - health warning, legal warning, animal welfare warning, environmental warning..... it is about "digging up clams". Obviously an activity well known to all American children? Note: This activity is legally restricted in the UK ("Harvesting razor clams is not illegal in the UK if it’s under 5kg per (collecting) person per day" and "10cm, the current EU Minimum Landing Size" also unlawful to sell on unless location and collector are licensed. Beware water pollution.).

reading_rally.zip

reading_on.zip

• Like 4

Updated list time-

An amalgamated list of manuals available from several websites, sorted into alphabetical order. This is a pdf.

amalgamated_list_02may19.pdf

A simple text list with URLs of the documentation held here on Atariage.

omegalist.txt

Next update will depend on how many new manuals get added but as long sunny (!) days are here- and some longer manuals beckon- perhaps in three months?

regards
s

• Like 6

Two more manuals supplied as separate one page per image clean hi-res TIFs for you to ocr, print, read or pdf as you wish

This time two of the older programs by Milton Bradley:

HANGMAN PHM3037

CONNECT FOUR PHM3037 - this is the 6 language European manual with the tiny screen printed images of the tv screen.

post-47425-0-34098800-1557345632.jpg

If American spelling is confusing in HANGMAN you can input your own word list of up to 60 words- and can even save them to tape for later use.. which makes it suitable for other languages. The partly complete word on the cover should be obvious.(!)

As seems usual for the European manuals there is no note on Connect Four to suggest Connect Four is a trademark, or that Milton Bradley wrote the program and claim copyright in it.

On the other hand HANGMAN suggests that HANGMAN is a trademark of Milton Bradley.... I am sure there was prior art to negate that claim.

hangman.zip

connect_4.zip

• Like 5

Two more manuals scanned in high res 480dpi, clean tif images for you to ocr or pdf or print or read...

A couple for the Milton Bradley MBX unit:

I'M HIDING PHM3155, ages 4-7, requires the MBX unit, and uses the membrane keypad, the speech recognition and MBX unit speech synthesiser.

HONEY HUNT PHM3156, ages 5-8, will use the MBX unit if you have one but also works on a normal TI99/4a, using the MBX unit speech synthesiser if you have one, or the normal TI speech synthesiser.

post-47425-0-57793900-1557945931.jpg

honeyhunt.zip

Imhiding.zip

• Like 6

Documentation in hi res clean TIF format for you to ocr, print, read or pdf as you wish....

post-47425-0-86711900-1558519877.jpgpost-47425-0-55222800-1558519905.jpg

First CERTIFICATE 99 from Great Lakes Software. The documentation was three sheets of A4, printed both sides, stapled at top left. No pretty pictures or cover. I have included the advert for the software which was sold on disk to be loaded with Extended Basic or Editor Assembler or Mini Memory or TI Writer.

Two more modules from Scott Foresman-

READING FUN (1981) PHM3043

Solving problems. Why things happen. Characters feelings.

Reading Fun works both with and without the speech syntheser.

READING FLIGHT (1982) PHM3082

- classification, summarising, and outlining skills.

Includes the ADDENDUM sheet regarding the horrible error on page 2- the module does not support speech! I have included the correction both as a separate sheet (quite badly printed) and also copied the small amount of text into the blank area on the relative page- if you want an archivally accurate incorrect page, just cover that area with white.

Certificate99.zip

reading_fun.zip

reading_flight.zip

Edited by blackbox
  • Like 4

Two more manuals in tif format image format for you to read, ocr, pdf or print, 480 dpi clean images.

First is Treasure Island, by DataEast PHM 3168 (joystick or keyboard) with helpful playing hints.

And from Spinnaker Software, FACEMAKER- PHM3177 (keyboard only)

TI version by Jerry Spacek, cartridge conversion by John M Phillips

post-47425-0-65553100-1559148935.jpgpost-47425-0-33771300-1559148965.jpg

treasure_island.zip

facemaker.zip

• Like 6

Here is documentation in clean tif format for you to read, print, pdf or ocr as you wish.

Two disk based programs for graphics users.... especially TI Artist...

GUIDELINES published on two disks by Texaments, a companion product for TI Artist, 1989/1990.

Includes scans of the two disks so you can duplicate the disk labels. Scanned at 480dpi.

DISPLAY MASTER by Chris Faherty, published by Inscebot, to produce slide shows, demos and displays using TI Artist artwork.

Includes copy of original 1986 invoice! and a demonstration listing. Scanned at 600 dpi due to use of blue ink on grey paper with 7 point font.... includes a note on using the TIF images for various purposes (eg adding borders, changing ink colour or paper colour....). This one was hard to deal with.

Back to more games modules next!

Have fun. S

guidelines.zip

display_master.zip

• Like 3

BITD I seem to have bought a lot of graphics programs of one sort or another and as a result have a shelf of documentation- but is there demand for it?

I find I not only have the Data Force Draw-a-Bit but also Draw-a-Bit II - which may be quite rare as the keyboard overlay is hand produced in ink on graph paper! However at 40 pages scanning it is not trivial, so is there a demand for it? In the UK it was apparently distributed by Tom Cat in Devon. Not a name I recall!

I also have a lot of (English) documentation for Turbo Pasc 99 released by L L Connor- again at 60 pages it is not trivial to copy so votes please. NB: This is the German Pascal which requires Editor/Assembler, not the PEB card. Several pages have corrections.

I still have quite a pile of games manuals (especially the educational ones) to keep me going. Just looking ahead...

s

Edited by blackbox
  • Like 1

Actually, the Draw-a-Bit programs look interesting, especially as there is an overlay for them. I've been making overlay templates for every program I've found that had them. . .

On TurboPasc99, I really need to sit down at some point and translate the book for it that WiPoSoft put out. . .