IGNORED

New HSC Leagues?

I just read the short discussion here and its funny, but I had pretty similar thoughts like lid had in that thread. In fact we have very few competitors and the competetive level is acordingly not the highest. Since I am absolutely not okay with how cparsley managed the leagues I will never ever compete in his highscore contests any more. I am sick of beeing betrayed (and yes, for me its kind of betraying when he randomly inserts double or quattro-point games when he is far behind like he was some years ago). End of the rant at this point, I just want to point out why I do not participate any more under his organization.

As some of you know, I am a quite good gamer in some games and I am also very interessted in competing with some guys to find out the limits. So I would appreciate if somebody else than cparsley would organize it. I also would help out at some points. Important for me would be these things:

- Every Round has the same scoring. No fucking multiple points, because it sucks when you win 4 rounds in a row and get blown out just because one single game gets quattro points

- Every Round lasts a defined time. I think a month would be good, but two weeks would be okay either, but it has to be sure that a game ends at the last day of the competition and the next day the new one starts. Its annoying to wait longer for new rounds as the playtime for a single round was

- Screenshots are definitely neccessary. Even low scores should need a verification pic

- Hall of Fame: There was a thread like that in the past, but it wasnt updated for years and now I cant even find it anymore. I made some pretty nice scores, lost in space and that is very sad, I would like to get a alltime HSC leaderboard

If there is no interesst its fine, if we get something managed I would be glad to participate in some future competitions :)

Edited by Ignorama
  • Like 3

I agree with almost all you've said, except for requiring screenshots for every score and I think rounds with multiple points aren't a bad thing per se. It just can't happen as a surprise. If you check the 2600 HSC, the end of each season (I guess the last 4 rounds) has a different point scoring but everyone knows this since the begining. The most important thing is to know how the contest works and not change rules in the middle.

• If rounds last 2 weeks, new rounds should begin in the next week (there can be exceptions as real life gets in the way but they must be exceptions not the rule).
  • It would be nice, in my opinion, to have a more simple and competitive score system as in: 1st place - 10; 2nd -9; 3rd - 8 ... 10th and below - 1 point.

Since I still got no answer from cparsley (I contacted him), I guess the best way to gauge interest is eigther to start a topic with a pool or simply announcing the start of the new season.

• Like 1

I think its just unfair with multiple points. I dont see any sense, really not a bit. When I win 3 games, why should another player be able to get that much points in a single one? I have games where I am pretty sure I will be highly favored to win the competition and others where I will be in the midfield. If you reward random games with multiple scores you give players random advantages or disadvantages. For me the most constant player should win and not the one who had the luck to get his strong games rewarded with multiple points.

And other point I forgot: The scoring system sucks. It definitely need to be changed:

1st place = 10 points
2nd place = 9 points
3rd place = 8 points
4th place= 6 points
5th place = 4 points
6th place = 2 points
7th place and on = 1 point

Why just one point difference between 1 and 2 and randomly two ponts between 3 and 4? Winning should get the benifit of beeing rewarded. My suggestion would be that scoring:

1st: 10 Points

2nd: 8 Points

3rd: 6 Points

Following places: 5, 4, 3 and so on til 1 (which get every player for participating).

• Like 2

I agree it needs to function better to be more fun! i like cparsley's rounds but i agree with you guys it has been somewhat in disarray. If cparsley still has trouble keeping up next time then some getting some help from another member or else a new moderator would make a big difference.

Edited by S.BAZ
  • Like 2

Good to see you back Oscar :D Any comments to multiple scoring or the scoring itself (look at my suggestion for the new point system which rewards the win higher)?

I agree with you Ignorama, the scoring system has to be even across the games. In terms of the scoring table that you propose, it totally makes sense to me. There should be a reward for aiming to be at the top spot of the table.

Your scoring system reminds me the changes that Fifa, the football (soccer) governing body, implemented sometime in the 90s: giving 3 points for a win (instead of 2). Similarly in F1 there is a point system that rewards winning the race by relatively giving more points for a victory.

Thanks for looking into this topic and cheers.

Although I planned to see a new season starting this month, I want to make it in the right way.

So, I'm waiting cparsley to come back (he was last seen in AtariAge in Dec, 11th).

Since cparlsey clearly doesn't have the time to moderate a regular HSC, I expect he will be ok with a new moderator.

Then, I think we could post a thread asking who's interested to be the new moderator.

I know there are people interested.

I didn't contact Albert, but I guess that's how he would approve a new moderator.

Do we really need a new moderator? If you ask me we are just people who want to play some old games in a contest. Its just important that these contests are fair and that the rules will fit to what most participants want. Just look at the scoring system. I dont think its something a moderator should decide, I think its something all people have a vote for and the most voted solution wins.

Another important point: How chose the games? Actually I do not know how cparsley did that. For that I would suggest every player could throw in a title and the order will be randomized. I doubt we get too many titles for one season that way.

• Like 1

(...) to have league after the bowling league ends .

What? So the League threads are to play games?

How did I miss these?

Hmm... Now I think I understand this thread's title.

I still like the idea of the Intellivision HSC running in the same way many other HSC do...

But maybe starting a contest in the main Intellivision Forum is a better idea. We could do it and let all participants decide some details as Ignorama suggested.

About the scoring system, I agree with Ignorama if we make a championship not longer than 10 rounds.

If we go for something around 15-20 rounds, I would avoid rewarding more than 1 point for each position, so players won't be too behind in the rankings in the middle of the contest. Huge differences of points in a long championship would make many players lose interest too soon.

There obviously needs to be another moderator. Running a HSC without one creates a very cluttered and disharmonic thread on account of no one being able to edit the original post without a time limit. Albert definitely needs to be contacted about it. Sooner rather than later would be preferred.

• Like 1

There obviously needs to be another moderator. Running a HSC without one creates a very cluttered and disharmonic thread on account of no one being able to edit the original post without a time limit. Albert definitely needs to be contacted about it. Sooner rather than later would be preferred.

My hearth is bleeding - The INTV-HSC was my baby...

I'd definitely be interested in coming back for a more organized and set HSC. My favorite 'point' systems were the 1980s CART indycar series, but it would be best for a larger pool like maybe 2600 since it runs 20,16,14,12,10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1. I liked the 10,6,4,3,2,1 system that F1 used in the 90s and might work better here.

Gavv

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

I'd certainly like to see the Intellivision High Score Club continue in an organized fashion. But for that to happen, we'll need someone who can run the contests. Having moderator privileges in the forum does make it easier to manage the contests.

Nobody has come forward to me yet looking for the job. Is anyone here interested?

..Al

• Like 2

Greetings,

I'd certainly like to see the Intellivision High Score Club continue in an organized fashion. But for that to happen, we'll need someone who can run the contests. Having moderator privileges in the forum does make it easier to manage the contests.

Nobody has come forward to me yet looking for the job. Is anyone here interested?

..Al

Would love to... I have had ideas waiting for a while :)

• Like 3