IGNORED

Do you like the Virtual Boy?

KWKBOX

Virtual Boy console, no. Virtual Boy games, yes. The console had some pretty good games that were better than the console deserved. Teleroboxer, Wario Land, Jack Bros, etc. I wish Nintendo would acknowledge the Virtual Boy happened and port those titles to the 3DS. Those games would be fantastic on that system.

Edit: I agree with Osgeld, the VB controller was pretty well designed and comfortable IMO.

Edited by teh_lurv
  • Like 2

I owned one for a couple of years. It didn't ever give me headaches or sore eyes. I really liked the three dee effect and it has about five great games. However, after maybe a year or so I'd tried every game available, including most Japan-only releases, and just didn't play it much anymore. I sold it for more than I'd paid.

There's a couple of decent emulators that support 3D, so whenever I get a hankering to play Galactic Pinball or Mario Clash, I play that for a while. I though it was a good idea with too small of a library.

Edited by ls650

We did not have it in Europe (at least in France) , but i bought one few year ago with a set a games.

In fact i have to say , i like the system , it has great potential. And i love how the 3d effect is done in layers. And some game are very cool.

But i don't like too much the ergonomy . I would have prefer the same system but under the shape of a classic handheld console.

And i would may be have not choose the Red as main screen color.

But very interesting system. At least they try to innovate at that time!

Yes I do. At one time I had 14 different games but sold off the rare (and lousy) games while keeping those that still plays good like Wario Land, Red Alarm, and Galactic Pinball. I also have Performance VB bag to keep it all in and SNES AC tap to avoid wasting batteries.

I need to get Flashboy, they keep going out of stock when I have money and I am not shelling out several hundred dollars to play Space Invaders on VB.

It may be possible to replace the red array with something different like green (don't recommend blue) but it needs to be wired in a specific order and needs to be packed in a tight line so it will be hard to make custom LED array.

I only had one because I worked at TRU at the time and it was on super-clearance (believe I also paid $40), as were the games.

It pretty much only got played when a bunch of my friends were high, and in that regard it was somewhat fun. It was a trip toy for us, a glorified glow stick.

Other than that, no, I didn't like it.

We tried all the US released games and concluded this is easily one of the worst systems we have ever played. Does anyone else still play this system today?

Hey Kevin and Eric,

I like the Virtual Boy. In fact, I was there on launch date when I was 12 years old waiting for my local Toys R Us to open the doors to go into the video game section and purchase it. I still have all the original material and play it when I can. Still think its a cool unit and was a big fan of Gunpei Yokoi's products as a boy.

Anthony.....

I like it, but not enough games. The controller is great. Wouldn't mind if it had been color, and wish it was light enough to wear, but Nintendo was pushing the envelope of the technology of the day as it was.

Whenever I pull my head away, I get that same feeling I used to get whenever I would exit the (dark) coin op video arcades I used to go to when in college, stepping out into the sun...

Hey Kevin and Eric,

I like the Virtual Boy. In fact, I was there on launch date when I was 12 years old waiting for my local Toys R Us to open the doors to go into the video game section and purchase it. I still have all the original material and play it when I can. Still think its a cool unit and was a big fan of Gunpei Yokoi's products as a boy.

Anthony.....

That is pretty cool you still have your original from the release date. I do have to admit the system is very cool but I just do not desire to ever play it again.

• Like 1

I like many of the games, but it's just a stupid setup for the system. It hurts my back so badly, and it does give me headaches after a while. Couple that with the fact they're built terribly and are now having many issues, I don't see it worth owning. Good to play on an emulator, but that's about it. Sad, as I always love Nintendo systems.

I really enjoy a chunk of the library on this thing. Can't really say it's nostalgia either--I did own one back in the day, but playing one recently, the top titles for me are just as fun now (Red Alarm, Mario Tennis, Wario Land, Teleroboxer, Galactic Pinball, V-Tetris, etc). The 3D effect works much better for me than the 3DS and is still convincing. I just wish the units were more reliable and it was more comfortable to use. It *can* be comfortable, but with something like this, work should never be a requirement in order be comfortable.

I love mine. For the tiny game collection it has a rather high ration of fun games to cack. The only drawback is the backache from playing too long!

Shoot I always used to lie on on my back and let the thing sit there, with the feet of the stand on your chest/stomach.

Edited by GoldenWheels