IGNORED

RespeQt on Raspberry Pi?

Smokeless Joe

Anyone try to run RespeQt on a Raspberry Pi? I'm thinking of trying and would appreciate any suggestions. I'm running the latest version of Raspbian.

I guess I'll try to follow the Linux instructions: get the Qt 5 libraries and build tools and follow the compile.txt instructions.

Any other things I should lookout for? This will be my first time compiling anything on a Linux-like system.

Thanks!

Edited by Smokeless Joe

I wonder if I could figure out how to install ARM libraries on my Mac and cross-compile it? Admittedly, my MacBook Pro is getting long in the tooth (early 2011 model) but it's a quad-core i7 at 2 GHz. That's GOTTA be faster than a native compile on the RPi2.

No need to compile QT5 yourself. If you are running the current Raspbian release (Jessie) it's as simple as that:

sudo apt-get install build-essential git qt5-default qtbase5-dev
git clone https://github.com/jzatarski/RespeQt.git
cd RespeQt
qmake
make -j 4
./RespeQt
Takes some 10 minutes total (depending on internet speed and performance of your SD card) on a RPi2. On the old RPi use "make" instead of "make -j 4".

so long,

Hias

• Like 8

No need to compile QT5 yourself. If you are running the current Raspbian release (Jessie) it's as simple as that:

sudo apt-get install build-essential git qt5-default qtbase5-dev
git clone https://github.com/jzatarski/RespeQt.git
cd RespeQt
qmake
make -j 4
./RespeQt
Takes some 10 minutes total (depending on internet speed and performance of your SD card) on a RPi2. On the old RPi use "make" instead of "make -j 4".

so long,

Hias

Thank you, Hias! I will give that a shot today. First, I need to update my Raspian installation, however (currently used as a dedicated emulation box running RetroPie 3.something and EmulationStation. Sounds like I better do the old

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

first, then install Qt5. After that, it's down to trying to build a binary for RespeQt itself, I guess. Sounds like a fun project.

EDITED TO ADD: Okay, just tried it. I'm actually running Wheezy. When I try to get the packages, I get an error that packages qt5-default and qtbase5-dev are not found. Hmm.

Edited by DrVenkman

So I just went ahead and downloaded a clean SD card image for RetroPie 3.4, which runs on the latest Jessie as of about 2 weeks ago. Copying all my ROMs back over the the right directories now ... (also: ugh). Once that's done, I'll try to install Qt5 and see about getting RespeQt built. Got lots to do this weekend so it may not happen ...

I think I'm getting really close. Hias's instructions worked beautifully on a Raspberry Pi 1 Model B+ with a spanking new install of Raspbian Jessie. I've got RespeQt up and running and looking really pretty.

Now I just have to get it configured correctly. In Options, I can select Standard serial port or AtariSIO. For Standard, it's looking for /dev/ttyS0. For AtariSIO, it's looking for /dev/ttyatarisio0. If I set Standard to /dev/ttyUSB0, RespeQt acts like everything is working but nothing happens when I try to boot from it. Nothing I put into the AtariSIO option even pretends to work.

I'm hoping I'm missing something simple. Any ideas?

I think I'm getting really close. Hias's instructions worked beautifully on a Raspberry Pi 1 Model B+ with a spanking new install of Raspbian Jessie. I've got RespeQt up and running and looking really pretty.

Now I just have to get it configured correctly. In Options, I can select Standard serial port or AtariSIO. For Standard, it's looking for /dev/ttyS0. For AtariSIO, it's looking for /dev/ttyatarisio0. If I set Standard to /dev/ttyUSB0, RespeQt acts like everything is working but nothing happens when I try to boot from it. Nothing I put into the AtariSIO option even pretends to work.

I'm hoping I'm missing something simple. Any ideas?

When I configured AspeQt, RespeQt and SIO2OSX on my Mac, I had to specify the interface very particularly, with a specific suffix that appears. For instance, my SIO2USB device (also one of Ray's - looks and works beautifully) is something like "/dev/tty.usbserial-DAXT0OSA"

So I'd check the /dev/ directory on the Pi after you plug in the SIO2USB device and see if there's a specific port that appears.

Success! DrVenkman was right! Once I had the /dev directory open and I plugged in the SIO2USB, I saw that ttyUSB0 was what I really wanted. So I changed Tool > Options > Serial I/O backends > Standard serial port > Port name to /dev/ttyUSB0 and...

nothing at first. But once I changed the Handshake method to DSR it worked great! RespeQt on Raspberry Pi Raspbian Jessie! Aw YEAH!

Big shoutout thank you to HiassofT and DrVenkmen for walking me through it!

-Joe

• Like 1

Good news! Once I finish copying over all my ROMs to the newly formatted and installed SD card in my RPi2, I'll update things manually with RetroPie (*) and then try to install Qt5, etc. That may have to wait until tomorrow.

(*) Of course literally an hour after I bit the bullet, reformatted my microSD card to install RetroPie 3.4 with the latest Jessie on it and had copied over a few thousand ROMs, I saw on the RetroPie Wiki that just last night they released SD card images for RetroPie 3.5. Apparently the main download links on the Pet Rock Blog site haven't been updated yet. Damn it.

Update on my own personal RP2 RespeQt ... it's not happening. And it's not happening for a basic, stupid reason that didn't even occur to me until fairly late last night when it was too late for me to do anything about it: RetroPie is a non-desktop distro. All the desktop software has been stripped out of Raspian and basically all you have are the kernel, a bunch of networking services, a bunch of emulator cores, and the EmulationStation front-end. So I need to pick up a new microSD card to use with a desktop environment if I want to play with RespeQt on my Pi. D'oh.

RetroPie is a non-desktop distro. All the desktop software has been stripped out of Raspian and basically all you have are the kernel, a bunch of networking services, a bunch of emulator cores, and the EmulationStation front-end. So I need to pick up a new microSD card to use with a desktop environment if I want to play with RespeQt on my Pi. D'oh.

Disclaimer: I'm not familiar with RetroPie at all and haven't tried the following but it might just work:

You usually don't need a full desktop environment to run X11 applications like RespeQt. An X11-server, a window manager like fvwm, icewm or even twm should be enough.

You could just install these additional packages (don't install a display manager like lightdm/gdm3, this'll give you the graphical login screen after boot) and then manually start X11+windowmanager+respeqt.

Eg setup an ~/.xinitrc and call "startx" or "xinit" from the command line. Checkout the manpages or use Google, there are tons of examples out there how to start X11 together with a specific app in a minimal way.

You might even be able to add a menu entry to your RetroPie launcher for that, you just need to call a shell script or run a command.

so long,

Hias

Thanks for the tips, Hias. I might give it a try. Might be easier just to get a new, bigger microSD card for RetroPie and use my existing 32gb card for a desktop environment. Not sure yet. I've only got <9GB free on this card and I haven't copied over anything but my 800 .xex files, my 2600, 7800, AdvMAME and MAME4ALL roms.

For that matter, I might just buy a PiZero this summer and build a dedicated "drive" out of a dead 1010 tape drive. Hmm ... :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have the following setup.

130xe using custom OS ROM that supports the SIO2BT timing changes

SIO2BT connected to the SIO port

Raspberry Pi B+ running latest OS (jessie)

USB Bluetooth module installed and configured

RespeQT compiled and configure to talk to SIO2BT

Atari ATR downloaded and in D1 on RespeQT

I have booted the 130xe from the Raspberry Pi. A forty year old computer booting a floppy image using a Raspberry Pi as the floppy emulation point. This is amazing.

• Like 1

So I bought a new microSD card tonight and installed the latest Raspian Jessie on it, then followed Hias' instructions up-thread. SUCCESS!!! :) As noted, it took about 10 minutes total to install, and works an absolute treat. Thanks for the easy to follow instructions! Now to move all my .ATR files over to the new SD card (tomorrow's task).

post-30400-0-66780900-1456023376_thumb.jpg

(RespeQt running on my RPi2 under the latest image of Raspian Jessie)

post-30400-0-98881300-1456023479_thumb.jpg

(Asteroids Emulator running on one of my 800XL's, booted from the RPi2)

• Like 1

I took my setup one step further this evening. I have my Atari folder on my PC shared and connected to the Raspberry Pi over the network. So the Atari 130xe boots via Bluetooth using SIO2BT, connected to the Raspberry Pi via an ASUS USB-BT 400 adpater, running RespeQT with ATR images, mounted from a share on my Windows PC, via WiFi. Works great and runs so smooth.

That is what I call taking a 40 year old comptuer to the next level technology.

• Like 3

Hello,

I see, that you already managed to go through the Qt deployment and RespeQt compilation process. Great :thumbsup:

In the mean time I prepared a complete RespeQt package (containing all required libraries) for Raspberry Pi.

You just prepare the SD card with the Raspbian Jessie Image, start the Raspberry Pi and unpack the following file into the home directory (home/pi):

respeqt.tar.gz

Then you open the terminal and type in:

cd RespeQt

./respeqt.sh

In the RespeQt settings, you have to provide the device name, for a SIO2PC/USB cable, it is usually /dev/ttyUSB0

That's all.

By the way, 3 years ago I worked on a small SIO2PI project for the RaspberryPi (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/209010-sio2pi-raspberry-pi-as-a-floppy/?do=findComment&comment=2698490).

The goal was to use the existing serial port on the RPI (/dev/ttyAMA0).

The cable requires a simple level shifter (3.3V <-> 5V).

I used a GPIO port for hardware handshaking (so I modified AspeQt at that time), but today with "NONE" and "SOFTWARE" handshake it is not necessary any more.

Per default Raspberry Pi uses the serial port for tracing and for a serial console. Both functions have to be disabled in order to use /dev/ttyAMA0 with RespeQt.

This opens a new possibility (not related to the RespeQt) to use the ATARI as a terminal for Raspberry PI. I will desribe my experience in a new thread.

Cheers

TheMontezuma

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So in case anyone was on the fence about this, I used my RespeQt on my RPi2 to update the firmware on the Ultimate 1MB board I have installed in an 800XL. I flashed the main BIOS, PBI bios and SIDE loader without any issues, and all at 57,600 bps. Due to (apparently) some weirdness with how OS X handles some things at a very low level, I can typically only run this same SIO2USB device reliably at 38,400 bps. Yet the RPi2 with the latest Raspian kernel handles the higher speed without a hiccup.

Once I had my U1MB updated I booted up a variety of files as a test, both standard single-density ATR files as well as some hacked-together high capacity virtual boot disks (Infocom ATR quads, each several single-disk versions of the classic Infocom text adventures which don't requite swapping). I also tested booting a few XEX files through RespeQt as well. All worked perfectly. Very pleased with my "RespeQtberry Pi" and now very much looking forward to building that dedicated widget this summer.

EDIT: Just remembered I haven't yet tested .CAS file loading yet. Maybe for old time's sake I'll spend a few minutes loading up the cassette version of ZAXXON, crashing through a few badly-played games and then rage-quitting, just like when I was 14, lol! Or maybe I'll try something I remember more fondly, like B-1 NUCLEAR BOMBER; EASTERN FRONT: 1941 or SCRAM. :) That'll be tomorrow's fun.

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 2

EDIT: Just remembered I haven't yet tested .CAS file loading yet. Maybe for old time's sake I'll spend a few minutes loading up the cassette version of ZAXXON, crashing through a few badly-played games and then rage-quitting, just like when I was 14, lol! Or maybe I'll try something I remember more fondly, like B-1 NUCLEAR BOMBER; EASTERN FRONT: 1941 or SCRAM. :) That'll be tomorrow's fun.

Okay, had a little time tonight and decided to test cassette loading. I used the "Custom" 875 baud rate option and the patched "High Speed" Atari OS with my U1MB ... it was a nerve-wracking bit of fun to wait through the several minute load time but then, voila! Worked great. :)

post-30400-0-04453000-1457230980_thumb.jpg post-30400-0-81311600-1457231004_thumb.jpg

Since I have 4 different Atari Program Recorders but none of them are working, it's good to know RespeQt is working as expected here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

TheMontezuma, you beat me to the post. I also tested with the Pi3 over the weekend and got it working (SIO2BT). The only issue I have is a couple of warnings during the compile and when I open the dialog to select a disk image the only time I see a list is using the All Files filespec from the drop down.

Would love to see ATX files supported.

• Like 1