IGNORED

some 15 kHz tunes

makary

Makary's Tunes had been very promising, as from scratch they were very advanced. But, where to find a common plot, if "better music" is named "poorly designed" ?

Yeah.... nothing more complex than the taste of music, but a synthesizer that sounds like a drunken Cat rolling on Eggs, isn't really fun to listen....

Hey, 4 times VBI means, you could play digitized sounds with the same amount of CPU usage. Combining "both worlds" makes the result even better.

although I do appreciate Emkay's and AnalMux experiments so much I am yet to hear any non repulsive track from them :))))

in contrary, I have goosebumps when Makary's tracks are playing. i suppose it is not really the math that makes the tune.

• Like 1

As I wrote: Music taste seems not to be definable, one like it or not. But I have to put some old experiment here

It's 64kHz and , after adusting the timing of the main voice, youtube claims it "original". Doing some timing changes, it's not been recognized.

While Cats in the Cradle is using just single VBI speed, this one uses full software modualtions at 4x VBI speed. It's actually one of my 1st tunes, named "Slow" done on RMT as it even didn't support 1.79MHz features and the emulation were fatal, heck , I released the tune long before Kylie Minogue, perhaps I should send her a mail because she stole my idea of a music title ;)

Seems, I still have to check the possibilities myself with RMT Patch 8 at 15kHz and using all those techniques...

Edited by emkay

ANALogue MUltipleXer, MSc (Hons. Mult.) (Theoretical Physics & Mathematical Sciences)

And?

He's really good at math. Better than you at math. You know who's even better at math? Big Poppa Pump!

Scott-Steiner.jpg

• Like 1

I've always wanted to do some remix of that tune... So here it is ;)

Link to the recording form a real Pokey:

http://makarybrauner.bandcamp.com/track/adam-gilmores-zybex-main-theme-break8bit-remix

Hi,

i love it! That music is going to be replayed on every retrocomputing event i take my a8 to from now on.

How about a Draconus remix in that style?

Don't leave the Pokey amd RMT...

Edited by Beetle
  • Like 1

Hi,

i love it! That music is going to be replayed on every retrocomputing event i take my a8 to from now on.

How about a Draconus remix in that style?

Don't leave the Pokey amd RMT...

Hi,

Thanks!

I'm not going to leave pokey and RMT. I think my previous post sounds ridiculously dramatic ;) I'm just going to release xex files and discuss music elsewhere. New recordings will appear at my bandcamp profile as well.

And Draconus remix... yes, it's really tempting idea :)

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Thank you Emkay and Makary. You've both delivered some great music which sounds so different to other music I've heard on the 8-bit.

I used to say back in the 80s that the Pokey chip was the finest chip around (8-bit) but then in latter years I'd got a bit tired of hearing Pokey songs which all sounded similar. I now realise that a lot more can be made from the Pokey. Yes, I've read comments about it being better than what people had said, but it's only in around the last year or perhaps 2 where I've heard tunes where I've thought, "Hmm, they're damn good". The comments were there previously, but the actual songs are now there to be heard.

Makary, "Prism" is from another Pokey planet!! It is amazing.

I have to say the bass tones he's getting on these are fantastic. Very fat and Moog-like. Shame more of this wasn't done back in the day, I knew POKEY had a bit more in it...now it's being demonstrated - what, 35 years - after the fact.

On Atarimania I commented on Panther - what a bummer that one was, because the sounds on the C64 (as well as the sprites) BLOW the Atari version away. Hearing Makary's music suggests more could have been done then. I won't call it laziness, maybe just low ROI, but for a musician / synth lifer, I always wanted better music.

GREAT stuff here!

• Like 1

I have to say the bass tones he's getting on these are fantastic. Very fat and Moog-like. Shame more of this wasn't done back in the day, I knew POKEY had a bit more in it...now it's being demonstrated - what, 35 years - after the fact.

On Atarimania I commented on Panther - what a bummer that one was, because the sounds on the C64 (as well as the sprites) BLOW the Atari version away. Hearing Makary's music suggests more could have been done then. I won't call it laziness, maybe just low ROI, but for a musician / synth lifer, I always wanted better music.

GREAT stuff here!

Hi!

Thanks. Nice the word "Moog" is mentioned here ;) because I've got some analogue synth background. I do sound design and soundtracks for indie games/apps using mostly some semi-modular gear or do some programming in Max or Pure Data in case of more advanced multimedia projects. And idea behind the atari tunes was simple and related to that background: trying to apply some basic synth techniques to Pokey. Not common chiptune techniques, but just synth techniques.

For instance that moog-like bass is an effect of mixing two channels and instruments in a similar way as you mix and detune two oscillators to get a richer timbre from a synth.

Edited by makary
  • Like 2

What is demonstrated exactly?

The Original Tune runs in a VBI, leaving enough CPU cycles and technical space to handle the gameplay. Using 4 times VBI a second doesn't even allow to have a still image with DLIs ....

Actually, there are possible solutions ...

Hi!

Thanks. Nice the word "Moog" is mentioned here ;) because I've got some analogue synth background. I do sound design and soundtracks for indie games/apps using mostly some semi-modular gear or do some programming in Max or Pure Data in case of more advanced multimedia projects. And idea behind the atari tunes was simple and related to that background: trying to apply some basic synth techniques to Pokey. Not common chiptune techniques, but just synth techniques.

For instance that moog-like bass is an effect of mixing two channels and instruments in a similar way as you mix and detune two oscillators to get a richer timbre from a synth.

Very cool!

I have a long history of synth ownership dating back to my Atari days. My brother and I are musicians (he is professionally, I am recreational) and we've owned all manner of keyboards, drum synths, etc. I still have an old Simmons SDS and Synare (I was more drummer then), but have a few other toys around the house. Interesting how analog synthesis has made a comeback, and I love the fat sounds. I was keen on building a Midibox SID a few years back, but lost interest as I am just too busy.

I'm trying to learn RMT, so maybe I can create some things...probably more covers as I'm no composer, but just love tinkering. I appreciate your efforts and those here!

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I just want to share two collections of tunes I presented at various places. The first ATR image contains my original tunes and the other contains couple covers I made.

I've also recorded the music from a real Pokey and post-produced slighlty. I applied some stereo widening, EQing and compression. If you're interested in that version as well please go to:

https://makarybrauner.bandcamp.com/album/yokey-pokey

It's "buy/name your price" Bandcamp option, so putting 0$ means free download.

Enjoy!

m

YOKEYMB.atr

COVERSMB.atr

• Like 4

I just want to share two collections of tunes I presented at various places. The first ATR image contains my original tunes and the other contains couple covers I made.

I've also recorded the music from a real Pokey and post-produced slighlty. I applied some stereo widening, EQing and compression. If you're interested in that version as well please go to:

https://makarybrauner.bandcamp.com/album/yokey-pokey

It's "buy/name your price" Bandcamp option, so putting 0$ means free download.

Enjoy!

m

Bought a copy. I'm listening to the songs now on real hardware - a nice stereo PAL machine playing through my Sansui 7070 receiver.

• 3 weeks later...

Here I was trying to get some "swing effect" in RMT. This effect makes sequenced rhythms of electronic music a bit more convincing, funky or humanized. That's the way it is described usually ;). Modern DAWs allows musicians to control the amount of this effect. In simple trackers this can be done by altering quickly the speed of a tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTVjgrM0NuU

InvadeMB.xex

• Like 6