IGNORED

Bobby Bearing - final release

mariuszw

Here is the final release of Atari 8bit version of Bobby Bearing.

Thanks for Jose Pereira for preparing credits, title and loading screen!

Thanks for Poison for his stereo music!

And also thanks for stRing for testing the game on real hardware.

Last, but not least thanks for all community members who support me with my Atari programming :)

Game works on any Atari with 64KB RAM. It supports stereo Pokey, but will also work on standard Pokey setup. It was tested on PAL machine, but it works ok in NTSC mode when tested under Altirra.

Compared to preview version, I fixed game speed, now it syncs to vblank interrupt so it shouldn't go too fast. Also, some code was optimized so it should be faster at places where it previously slowed down.

Loading screen:

post-42656-0-53674600-1454775606_thumb.png

Credits and title screens:

post-42656-0-27064000-1454775615_thumb.pngpost-42656-0-81781500-1454775621_thumb.pngpost-42656-0-45132600-1454775627_thumb.png

In-game screens:

post-42656-0-82210400-1454775633_thumb.pngpost-42656-0-30686900-1454775637_thumb.pngpost-42656-0-01277300-1454775641_thumb.pngpost-42656-0-33244400-1454775647_thumb.png

bb.atr

bb.xex

• Like 16

Hi.

What is going on regarding my worked game pics of the games at AtariOnline front page and forum topic? If any here can read and explain me, thanks.

Here's what I just written there:

Hi, I would like to know because don't seem to get decent Google Translation what's the problem with my pictures on the game, answers in English would be fine...Thanks.

But let me explain:

1st: This is a port,not more wanted than it,all is like name says,a "port" that Mariusz could get the A8 better speed;

2nd: Pic title is from C64 version and had necessary work to fit on A8;

3nd:Load pic was taken from CPC has many hours of rework to get it all 4colours GR.15 Bitmap Mode so it can be used while load(I always liked old fashion and were jealous my other machines friends always having pics),no DLIs coloured more with PMGs on guys;

4th: The credits more complete than in others(even the C64 has top original authors that weren't its guys).The pics have original authors signature on them.The small added text was only A8 release 2016 and 'cleverly' no ©opyright we know don't have;

5th: All recent ports BBC or ZX done by XXL and others have the team names.Pics on them are like mine,are rework of original ones.

Nosty just seems to not like your screens, perhaps he was expecting something different...

I would not take it to heart, its done in a jokey manner, perhaps he wanted more fancy stuff?

Just a case of every one is a critic and you can't please every body..

For me they are in the style of the original, I get the impression its just the text screens he talking about?

Its all ok for me...

Edited by Mclaneinc

Visually it reminds me of Spin Dizzy, a game I used to play a lot with a friend on the C= 64.

I'll have to see if I can get this to work with SDLMAME on my Mac - what do the XEX and ATR extensions mean?

Hi Darrell.

XEX files are Atari stand-alone COM executables. It was renamed XEX to avoid confusion with MS-DOS when working emulators on PC.

ATR files are disk images, copies of Atari floppy disks.

The best Atari 8-bit emulator is Altirra (made by VirtualDub programmer, unfortunately available for Windows only).

Hi Darrell.

XEX files are Atari stand-alone COM executables. It was renamed XEX to avoid confusion with MS-DOS when working emulators on PC.

ATR files are disk images, copies of Atari floppy disks.

The best Atari 8-bit emulator is Altirra (made by VirtualDub programmer, unfortunately available for Windows only).

So those are the Atari equivalents to the Commodore PRG and D64 files, thanks!

Made a little headway:

../mame0169-64bit/mame64 a800 -flop1 /Volumes/Drobo/Applications/MAME\ Game\ Data/ROMs/bb.atr -ram 64K

results in

Driver a800 (file atari400.cpp): 1 errors, 1 warnings
Errors:
   RAM device ':ram': Cannot recognize the RAM option 64K (valid options are 48K).
   Warnings:
   RAM device ':ram': Setting value to default 48K

co12499b.rom ROM NEEDS REDUMP
co14599b.rom ROM NEEDS REDUMP
WARNING: the machine might not run correctly.

So I need to find better BIOS files, plus figure out why I can't change the RAM to 64K.

Other issue is if I don't give the full path to bb.atr:

../mame0169-64bit/mame64 a800 -flop1 bb.atr -ram 64K

it can't find it. I put it in the ROMs directory with the bios files, which it can find.

FATALERROR: Device Floppy Disk load (bb.atr) failed: File not found

• 7 years later...
On 2/6/2016 at 5:12 PM, SpiceWare said:

Visually it reminds me of Spin Dizzy, a game I used to play a lot with a friend on the C= 64.

I'll have to see if I can get this to work with SDLMAME on my Mac - what do the XEX and ATR extensions mean?

I think the best Atari emulator fo the Mac, of course it depends on whic Mac OS you're running, is Atari800MacX. It can be downloaded from this website: https://www.atarimac.com/atari800macx.php

Edited by magnusfalkirk
  • Like 1