IGNORED

ATR disk image test suite (Atari DOS, MyDOS, SpartaDOS formats)

playermissile

Is there a test suite or collection of public domain or free software disk images ATR that covers all the various DOS formats? I'd like to support reading & writing all the DOS formats in Omnivore, but I don't have many examples that I can legally include and distribute in a test suite.

I can create basic Atari DOS images, but I don't have any MyDOS or SpartaDOS images at all. Also, it would be nice to find weird disk images, like Atari DOS images where there are a bunch of deleted files or empty spaces in the VTOC; SpartaDOS images that have multiple directory levels; enhanced and double density images, and even broken disk images so I can test failure cases.

I can find tons of ATRs, but I guess the legality aspect is my biggest concern. I'd like to distribute images with the program and I can only do that if they are in the public domain or licensed under a free software license.

The data on the disk is unimportant, I'd happily use files that have random numbers as content, but I'm trying to avoid creating all the data myself and then testing the data myself, which is not good testing practice. So, if anyone has pointers to images (including broken & weird ones) or you can create some examples for me, I'd appreciate it!

Can you just use those DOS's to create blanks, then create the structures you want in them. Just don't include any DOS files and I think you'd be OK.

Yeah, for some unit testing I can do that, but I was hoping that there might exist some set of disks with more complicated structures that I can't create easily. Essentially, I'm hoping that I can leverage someone else's work so I don't have to do it all. :)

One thing to watch: Be careful of ATRs from the Holmes archive (and other sources) that are of a smaller size than usual. These defective ATRs will boot, but not allow DOS access. See my other thread. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/248845-how-to-fix-bad-atrs-the-ones-with-k-in-the-corner/

Good thread, I saw it when I was searching for more info about ATR images. I've got a couple images like that; when I see the size is not the normal 92160 (and 133120 and whatever double density is which I can't remember off the top of my head) I've been flagging them as boot disk images without any VTOC or directory info. I need to find some with PD files so I can include in my test suite, the ones I have are pirated games. I'll search around Holmes more, I guess.

You'll find that some SD/ED ATR images are the wrong size due to an extra sector at the end and some DD ATR's have 256 byte sectors for Sectors 1 to 3 which can either have false sector data where you'll see 384 bytes padded after 3 valid 128 bye sectors or 128 bytes padded after 128 valid bytes...

XFormer images can be just as bad...

• Like 1

There are more issues with ATR files. Thomas Grasel from ABBUC-RAF wrote a tool that can corrects an entire batch of ATR files. It's called ATR HELP TOOL SUITE.

Some headers are wrong. They do not match the actual physical size. The tool can correct the headers, or the physical length matching the header.

Abbuc has a more than excellent Sio to USB Flash drive device which can not handle ATR files with this kind of issues, so that is why Thomas created this tool.

• Like 1

Hmmm it seems to be no longer available online.

Please ask Thomas Grasel

http://home.arcor.de/grasel/

That is his site (ABBUC RAF) where the file was hosted before...

This is one of the topics on Abbuc Forum:

http://www.abbuc.de/community/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5139

I'm not sure whether the program can be freely distributed, so I'd better not post it here without permission.

Early SIO2PC versions (e.g. versions 2.x) had a bug and therefore created medium/enhanced density disks with 140kybte, instead of 130kbyte - I use MyCopyr 1.2c to correct this problem (with Enhanced density option set to "on"), since most other sector copy programs do recognize such 140k ATRs as single density (90k)... e.g. here:

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/Pooldisk/CD1/UMICH/GAMES/LINEUP.ATR

XBoot by FoX also creates shortened ATR images (and there is no Un-ATR yet for these images).

ATR-Fix and ATR Tool Suite do correct ATR images that are shorter than 90kbytes, they cannot correct images that are longer than 90kbytes, but shorter than 130kbytes (with the emulator use a trick, insert the <130k ATR as source and a standard 130k ATR as target, then sector copy the shortened ATR; when an error appears, insert an empty 130k ATR as source and copy the empty sectors over to the target)... e.g. the first version of X:8 send to Abbuc (unpacked and also un-released) and one of the Arsantica demos did use such a non-standard ATR/disk-image format. (Besides, the current "Priest John McPuke" program did use a non-standard 400k ATR image with approx. 384k of data on it.)

There are several pseudo-boot disk versions of DOS 2.x programs, that have their directory hidden elsewhere than the standard DIR sectors (even some PD programs did use this!); and some programs or disks use the standard DIR sectors, but hide the files after a few empty DIR entries (or use special chars. which clear the screen when the DIR should be displayed)...

Here are some DOS versions: http://www.atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=7.%20DOS-y

or here: http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/holmes%20cd/Holmes%201/ATR%20Programs/Disk%20Operating%20Systems/index.html

Edited by CharlieChaplin

ATRHELP.zip

This is what I have in my Atari correction folder. Originally downloaded from the internet after it came out (I still had an XP Windows machine then), but it still works with Windows 7. I don't use my [sIO2USB] hardware as much any more. This equipment should have been named (SIO2THUMBDRIVE), a lot of USB's don't work with it. The actual zip file I downloaded in the late 2000 era also had a setup file and a cab file for installation but I think that that file went with the XP machine, but the basic data files had been backed up and not lost. I lost a lot of great programs when my XP died. One called XEBIN I have been trying to find for years, it is available for linux OS but not Windows.

Edited by rdea6
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifATRHELP.zip

This is what I have in my Atari correction folder. Originally downloaded from the internet after it came out (I still had an XP Windows machine then), but it still works with Windows 7. I don't use my [sIO2USB] hardware as much any more. This equipment should have been named (SIO2THUMBDRIVE), a lot of USB's don't work with it. The actual zip file I downloaded in the late 2000 era also had a setup file and a cab file for installation but I think that that file went with the XP machine, but the basic data files had been backed up and not lost. I lost a lot of great programs when my XP died. One called XEBIN I have been trying to find for years, it is available for linux OS but not Windows.

I have bought a stack of MicroSD card readers (looking like an USB stick) which are compatible. I had that problem with the incompatible USB sticks too, so I started looking for a solution.

Not all MicroSD card readers are compatible, but most are. I have several types, and only one type fails on Sio2USB-Abbuc. There are also very very cheap plastic ones, which I installed in an USB extender plug which is very firm, so as long as I do not keep ejecting and inserting the Micro SD card, this is very good too.

Perhaps an idea? It's quite a nice device with YASH as shell (I installed that on the internal S2USHELL.ATR as autorun.sys) and the built in RTC.

Sio2USB-Abbuc is my main SIO storage device. I have a stack of those interfaces; love them!