IGNORED

Revenge of the Apes Contest!

Albert

I don't know if this is it, but when the original ending pops up briefly, you can move the statue of liberty's torch left and right by pressing left and right.

You were able to move the torch around in the original proto too,so if moving it doesn't bring up anything else,then no EE.

I wish someone would update Stella for the Mac!

Yeah, you and me both.

Brad Oliver (the MacMAME port author) was going to look into it, but his time is already pretty limited.

I tried modifying the Stella.pro file, but still couldn't get it to work.

I don't know what the game is doing that precludes it from running, maybe Thomas Jentzsch can offer his insight?  

The so called "illegal opcodes" are responsible. You can't play Thrust or Jammed too, right?

Unfortunately I can't replace those codes. You can disable the additional screens (right difficulty A) to hear the music and play the game, but you definitely miss an important part then.

I wonder why this hasn't happend. The updated 1.3 version (supporting illegal opcodes) is out for about one year now. Has MacStella been abandoned? Maybe you should kick the guy responsible a bit. ;)

Unfortunately I can't replace those codes. You can disable the additional screens (right difficulty A) to hear the music and play the game, but you definitely miss an important part then.

Aha, then it must something to do with the EE, or not?

A special screen for the EE. I have found 4 screens now, which are not in the real game. But I think theydon't have to do something with the egg.

Startscreen with Revenge of the Apes Logo,

Prisonscreen, when the apes catch you,

Statuescreen, when you finish the game,

Game Over screen, when you are dead.

So there must be a 5th screen, with the egg, or I wrong? :?

Hmm I wonder me only, why there are different Game Overs Screens, has this something to do with the egg?

When I die without do anything in the pit I get one with out lines. When I die in the cave, the Game Over screen has 2 lines. When you die in the river you get one with one line left and right.

Why these differents?

post-15-1051029464_thumb.jpg

When I die without do anything in the pit I get one with out lines. When I die in the cave, the Game Over screen has 2 lines. When you die in the river you get one with one line left and right.

Why these differents?

Oops, that's a little bug you just discovered. Thanks!

But not the EE. Sorry! :P

Yeah, you and me both.

Brad Oliver (the MacMAME port author) was going to look into it, but his time is already pretty limited.

Yeah, I really want to do this. Hopefully I can find some time on Saturday. I'd be willing to look at any other outstanding bugs in MacStella too if someone wants to make a list.

speaking of bugs (I think)  

Ever notice when the guy runs from left to right or right to left that his hair disappears then reappears? I noticed this while racing through the river looking for the EE  :ponder:

That's what John Marvin (the designer of PotA) told me about that:

"You'll notice a bug I never fixed before Fox canceled the game. The

human looses his hair when he gets near the right side of the screen!

Perhaps there is an aging radioactive effect, and he goes bald? :)"

Marc.

Yeah, I really want to do this. Hopefully I can find some time on Saturday. I'd be willing to look at any other outstanding bugs in MacStella too if someone wants to make a list.

Hi Brad! I was going to mention Stella again on the MacMAME 'board, but figured I'd wait until MacMAME .66 was over and done with.

Anyway, I set up this thread over in the emulation forum here. Hopefully, it will draw in some Mac Stella bug reports.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled contest.

HINT No. 1

It is VERY DIFFICULT to uncover the EE.

Best,

Marc.

Thanks I have found it with this hint:

EE.jpg

In the hardest Level 4. Difficult Switch on Hard, that the apes came from both sites, and shot no ape. Don't get hit by an ape and not the shot from the big ape, then it too not work. And get not catched. And finish it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived