IGNORED

How much better are Sony PVM monitors?

Goldbrand

I think I want to try and delve into the world of RGB and getting better picture out of old consoles. I'm curious to know how much better a Sony PVM monitor is compared to my 27" Sony Trinitron CRT TV that I am currently using. I live in Canada, and it's apparently fairly difficult to get ahold of a PVM here. If I decided to spend the money and get one, would it be worth it?

Trinitrons are nice (wish I had kept mine), but a good PVM will be better. Honestly though, if you're not super picky then S-Video isn't much worse than RGB (especially on a nice TV). The difference isn't like going from composite to S-Video. It all depends on how much that moderate difference is worth to you.

This page has a lot of nice info (although the screenshots are comparing composite to RGB which is a huge jump): http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/gotRGB/index.html

This page is also nice: http://retrorgb.com/systems.html

Just do your research before buying a PVM as not all PVM's do RGB and the model numbers can be confusing. Once you have a monitor you need to decide how you're going to go about getting RGB out of your console. I recommend a SCART cable myself as they're pretty common for most consoles but you need to be careful there as well as there's Japanese SCART and European SCART pinouts which are not compatible (Euro SCART is the most common though). You might also need a sync stripper device depending on the console and cable used.

It can be a lot to take in at first, but there are tons of sites out there now with explanations so it's not so bad. I found the guys over on the SHUMPS forums to be really helpful even though that's not the main focus of the board.

I did a lot of reading on RetroRGB about what you mentioned. They do an excellent job of presenting all of this information. I'll be sure to take a look at the shmup forums as well.

By the way, when and if I decide to look for a PVM, where should I start? With where I live, it's not possible to search for one locally. Do you think eBay is my best option?

Considering that getting RGB out of old systems will cost money (not to mention the cables for them), I'd rather save money with a nearly free CRT TV. Also, PVM's usually only go up to 20 inch, whereas CRT are 27-32.

Yeah, I can understand that. My CRT is excellent for gaming. I recently picked up another one that's similar for free. A 27" Sony WEGA.

Considering that getting RGB out of old systems will cost money (not to mention the cables for them), I'd rather save money with a nearly free CRT TV. Also, PVM's usually only go up to 20 inch, whereas CRT are 27-32.

You can get 25"-27" RGB monitors, but they're EXPENSIVE! 20" is the norm.

• 2 weeks later...

Like Tempest said you can get large PVMs up to 29" in fact. Sony PVM-2950Q

They are hard to find now as they are quite old(90's) and have either been recycled or sold a while back. No so long ago these could be had sometimes for free by just picking it up to $100 or so from companies getting rid of old AV items.

The difference between CRT and PVM can be very substantial if you choose a PVM with RGB and even more so with a BVM. The main difference is the increase in color space and then the amount of scanlines increase tremendously and to the point of HD actually(500 to 1000 lines of resolution depending on model). With the monitors of sharper pictures it becomes very subjective as the level of detail on the BVM e series at 1000 lines is crazy on a 20" CRT.

What are your old consoles that you are connecting? Having monitors that resolve both high and low amounts along with various pitch size would cover all old consoles.

Also for finding a PVM/BVM or any broadcast monitor try to find a IT recycler in your area and ask him if they have some. In my area it actually cost the recycler to dispose of the CRT so they were more than happy to sell for a good price a few years ago. If your lucky they may let you test things on the items they sell. Good luck!

Like Tempest said you can get large PVMs up to 29" in fact. Sony PVM-2950Q

They are hard to find now as they are quite old(90's) and have either been recycled or sold a while back. No so long ago these could be had sometimes for free by just picking it up to $100 or so from companies getting rid of old AV items.

The difference between CRT and PVM can be very substantial if you choose a PVM with RGB and even more so with a BVM. The main difference is the increase in color space and then the amount of scanlines increase tremendously and to the point of HD actually(500 to 1000 lines of resolution depending on model). With the monitors of sharper pictures it becomes very subjective as the level of detail on the BVM e series at 1000 lines is crazy on a 20" CRT.

What are your old consoles that you are connecting? Having monitors that resolve both high and low amounts along with various pitch size would cover all old consoles.

Also for finding a PVM/BVM or any broadcast monitor try to find a IT recycler in your area and ask him if they have some. In my area it actually cost the recycler to dispose of the CRT so they were more than happy to sell for a good price a few years ago. If your lucky they may let you test things on the items they sell. Good luck!

Hoping to hook up an SNES, Japanese Sega Saturn, PSX, and PS2 at the moment. If I find a BVM, that'd be great, but I'd easily settle for a PVM 20 with RGB. Preferably inside of Canada so I don't have to pay a ton on shipping. I'm going to have a look at some places locally in the near future.

Hoping to hook up an SNES, Japanese Sega Saturn, PSX, and PS2 at the moment. If I find a BVM, that'd be great, but I'd easily settle for a PVM 20 with RGB. Preferably inside of Canada so I don't have to pay a ton on shipping. I'm going to have a look at some places locally in the near future.

Yeah that's the other problem. Even if you're willing to pay for shipping, there's a good chance that it might get damaged in transit. You're much better looking for a local pick up or driving an hour or two to get one than having one shipped.

Yeah that's the other problem. Even if you're willing to pay for shipping, there's a good chance that it might get damaged in transit. You're much better looking for a local pick up or driving an hour or two to get one than having one shipped.

Yeah... I've read some people's horror stories about getting a PVM shipped.

Many of them in the United States never had the RGB boards in them, just composite. Sorry but you can get a nice 27" CRT for peanuts, why go crazy?

The majority of PVMs support RGB and it was built in and without boards... you must have come across the cheapest models for those doing . For the last CRTs that would be the L1 series and every other model above had RGB.

No reason to go crazy and Sony Wegas can be had for next to nothing or even free but the difference between the best consumer CRT and broadcast monitors is quite large. The OP asked if there is a difference and there is.

Shipping of PVM/BVMs can be a problem and my first 2 arrived broke due to poor packing. If purchasing from IT recyclers you should be fine now as they have learned how to ship but I still say if you are interested your best bet is to find something local. Another place to find PVM/BVM are places that sell used hospital equipment. They were used there for ages for scans.

Good luck.

• 9 months later...

Yeah... I've read some people's horror stories about getting a PVM shipped.

I had two shipped to me from a seller on here. The first we had to file an insurance claim on, the box looked like it had been dropped from 50 feet on one side as it had crumpled noticeably and was a thiiiiiiick rigid cardboard box, monitor looked fine though but would not turn on. I disassembled it and the PCB was split in two the entire length. Second one arrived fine though so I've a complete set of replacement parts, sans the board.

I had very good luck with getting one shipped to me - it was actually the best packing I've ever seen from an eBay dealer (actually a BVM series monitor, which is a step up from the PVMs).

The trick (in this case) was we were buying from a known, reputable dealer who sells broadcast equipment (new, used and repaired). Not just some random eBay seller unloading a monitor.

I also picked up a monitor locally from a company that does our monitor repairs and calibrating. They have old stock on hand, and were willing to match an eBay seller's price on a comparable monitor. PVM's can be fantastic, long-lived monitors. The 14M2U in my office is 18 years old, has no burn-in or pincushioning, and still has excellent color.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a tough call. A good quality domestic CRT, especially one you can adjust to get the best out of it (either by service menus or trimmers), will get you 90% of the way there in all honesty.

The PVM/BVM are the ultimate. But I'd not go to town on them. I got a 20" trinitron domestic set for £10 and in all honesty I stopped looking for a PVM/BVM after that. Some people are asking 25x that price for them here now on eBay and it's just madness. It's not that much better. However, if you can get one for sensible money, and I managed to get 3 for the price of fuel (I was very lucky), there's nothing to touch them in terms of CRT tech and I highly recommend it. Just not at £250.

I got a gaming monitor that is 24-inch with 1080p. It is BenQ LED monitor. It has great review online according to http://www.jenreviews.com/best-gaming-monitor/. I play all my games at max setting with this monitor and my high-end graphic card. I really recommend it for gaming purpose. On top of it, it is a LED monitor will help you to conserve some power.

It's a tough call. A good quality domestic CRT, especially one you can adjust to get the best out of it (either by service menus or trimmers), will get you 90% of the way there in all honesty.

The PVM/BVM are the ultimate. But I'd not go to town on them. I got a 20" trinitron domestic set for £10 and in all honesty I stopped looking for a PVM/BVM after that. Some people are asking 25x that price for them here now on eBay and it's just madness. It's not that much better. However, if you can get one for sensible money, and I managed to get 3 for the price of fuel (I was very lucky), there's nothing to touch them in terms of CRT tech and I highly recommend it. Just not at £250.

I've since gotten a PVM, a 1954Q, and you are definitely correct when you say that they're the ultimate. It cost me around 300 CAD, and was worth every penny in my opinion. RGB on it is glorious.

I got a gaming monitor that is 24-inch with 1080p. It is BenQ LED monitor. It has great review online according to http://www.jenreviews.com/best-gaming-monitor/. I play all my games at max setting with this monitor and my high-end graphic card. I really recommend it for gaming purpose. On top of it, it is a LED monitor will help you to conserve some power.

We're talking about CRT monitors... For playing games from the 1980s...