IGNORED

Breakout 2000

Xgames

I bought a copy of B2K maybe ten years ago from Carl Foran's Songbird Productions. At that time I paid something like $80 US plus shipping.

I really dig this game, but it's definitely not everyone's cup o' tea. I find it is a very mellow game: when I just want to sit on the sofa and veg out while playing something straight forward and unstressed, B2K is a game I reach for often. I rank it in my personal top five games for the Jag, though I doubt most people would.

Here's a good review: http://www.ataritimes.com/index.php?ArticleIDX=55

Edited by ls650
  • Like 1

Hey thx all i appreciate the info on the game going to go ahead and grab it from songbird.

B2K is a solid game and exclusive to the system. If you own a Jaguar, the classic updates like Tempest 2000, Defender 2000, Missile Command 3D and Breakout 2000 are nice to own as part of a core Jaguar collection.

• Like 1

I love this game! It's challenging to find (rarely pops up on ebay) and when you do find it the price is outrageous. Just like the 2 other retrofitted jaguar games (Tempest 2000, Missle command 3d) it has an playable original breakout port. Unfortunately it's the Atari 2600 rainbow version and the game ends at 2 levels. The main game however is alot of fun. There are a total of 10 levels each with 5 stages. (A total of 50 levels!) Not to mention the bonus games you play once you complete a level. Pong, blaster etc....This game is definitely worth it to own. I'm glad i finally have all 3 retrofitted jag titles! (if only they made a Pacman or Donkey Kong 2000)

• Like 2

I'm glad i finally have all 3 retrofitted jag titles! (if only they made a Pacman or Donkey Kong 2000)

Don't forget Defender 2000 and Pitfall!

Yes, it's a nice game. I've played it a lot, and as said, it good to relax to. The game could have made more out of the 2-player mode, for how rounds of battle ends and so, maybe a couple of different modes for 2-players. But it's ok.

I recommend it. And the price is fair over at Songbird productions.

Does B2K work with a rotary controller? Seems like a good candidate for it.

No. And yes! Too bad a secret code isn't built in like there is for T2K.

B2K is good for what it is, but could have been a much, much better game had analog rotary controls been implemented. I do like the music and sound effects though. Ball hitting the bricks and the tones they produce... somehow hypnotic and relaxing, in sort of a "depressing" way all at the same time. Not unlike the music in Atari Karts. :lol:

The rotary controller is not analogue.

The gameplay using a Chaos Reins modded controller and Impulse X begs to differ. :)

Okay, okay... whether the controller is digital or analog, the game has been properly written to have the dial behave as analog. When you spin it quickly, your paddle moves much faster. Turn it slow and get a much slower response. That's close enough to analog for me when playing video games!

B2K doesn't even try to pretend to have analog type action while playing. It could have by allowing momentary speedup with the press of a button for that all important save, but nope. Impulse X realizes the importance in a paddle game (when using the d-pad) by offering such a feature. Press C and your paddle is quicker. Let off C and your paddle is slower.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of Arkanoid so when I got Breakout 2000 and found that it had gifts and other weapons like Arkanoid I was very happy. Like some Jaguar games it tends to bog itself down with great graphics slowing down the gameplay. At one time I tried to make a rocker controller to switch from left to right to simulate the rotary effect.

The Breakout 2000 Source has been released by Curt Vendel and the rotary could be added by some programmer. Not being so much a programmer yet I tried the hardware solution with the rocker (two way) switch.

Arkanoid II ST port for the Jaguar is listed as incomplete and with spinners only. Was fun to play for a bit but incomplete.

Impulse X is probably the most versatile breakout game for the Jaguar (with rotary, jagpad, and mouse support). It is quite good, just haven't gotten past the space invader level or that learning curve yet. :D

And the Breakout list would not be complete without the cute breakout hidden game in Rayman. For the longest time that was the only Breakout I had on the Jaguar.

• Like 1

I have an Arkanoid arcade cocktail table. Don't play it much, but definitely a great game! However, my favorite ever rotary controller game is definitely Warlords, which I have the two player arcade console for as well as multiple 2600 copies of. If somebody made a Warlords 2000 cart with rotary controller capability, I'd be all over that in a hot minute!

I'm a big fan of Arkanoid so when I got Breakout 2000 and found that it had gifts and other weapons like Arkanoid I was very happy. Like some Jaguar games it tends to bog itself down with great graphics slowing down the gameplay. At one time I tried to make a rocker controller to switch from left to right to simulate the rotary effect.

The Breakout 2000 Source has been released by Curt Vendel and the rotary could be added by some programmer. Not being so much a programmer yet I tried the hardware solution with the rocker (two way) switch.

Arkanoid II ST port for the Jaguar is listed as incomplete and with spinners only. Was fun to play for a bit but incomplete.

Impulse X is probably the most versatile breakout game for the Jaguar (with rotary, jagpad, and mouse support). It is quite good, just haven't gotten past the space invader level or that learning curve yet. :D

And the Breakout list would not be complete without the cute breakout hidden game in Rayman. For the longest time that was the only Breakout I had on the Jaguar.

Good points/list. If we're making a full list, I suppose you would need to include the dreadful Breakout game in Zool 2 as well. It's pretty sluggish.

I may start a thread comparing these soon. I'm curious what others think. I agree with your points on Impulse X. I think it's a more complete game, but the learning curve is pretty heavy, and Breakout 2000 has a few fun innovations - the most important of which is the 2 player mode.

They are a both must-haves, IMHO.

/Schmüdde

• Like 2

I have an Arkanoid arcade cocktail table. Don't play it much, but definitely a great game! However, my favorite ever rotary controller game is definitely Warlords, which I have the two player arcade console for as well as multiple 2600 copies of. If somebody made a Warlords 2000 cart with rotary controller capability, I'd be all over that in a hot minute!

So you like Warlords eh? I can't vouche for rotary controls, but check out ProjectW:

http://www.jagware.org/index.php?showtopic=619

Impulse X is indeed a difficult game but that Space Invader level (level 6, I believe) has a trick. Always shoot your ball up the right side. You're trying to break into the colored brick just next to the right eye. There is always a Magic powerup in that brick. Once you get that, it'll easily cut through all the blocks on the screen.

The only problem I have with this level is that the color of the magic ball blends in with the background of the level itself. A little unfair and unfortunate, IMHO.

• Like 1