IGNORED

Ask Chris Cardillo of Coleco - ColecoVisions Podcast

thevnaguy

Chris Cardillo representing the Coleco brand is wanting to have a Q&A session with everyone!

Please send questions to colecovisionspodcast@gmail.com or post in this thread. A list will be compiled and sent to Chris and then a special podcast epsiode will come out where your questions will be read and answered by Chris!

In the recent interview with Willy, it was mentioned that many requests have been made for a reproduction of the original table top games. How about a tabletop game in that same form factor but with a modern LCD display and something like a Pi zero emulating the original lineup, Pac-man, Galaxian, etc, using the arcade versions. It would be a low cost - mini mame multicade but with a limited number of licenses to keep the cost down.

• Like 4

In the recent interview with Willy, it was mentioned that many requests have been made for a reproduction of the original table top games. How about a tabletop game in that same form factor but with a modern LCD display and something like a Pi zero emulating the original lineup, Pac-man, Galaxian, etc, using the arcade versions. It would be a low cost - mini mame multicade but with a limited number of licenses to keep the cost down.

added to the list! one I really would like to see happen. I love my Coleco MiniCades!

Chris asked me to post this - "let them know that Coleco has said that "we do value and appreciate their opinions and are interested in addressing them in a podcast, and although, we realize that some Atari-Age fans may be skeptical, we hope that we can not only earn their support, but also learn from their expertise (and not to mention good grammar)".

so keep those questions coming, Chris is very interested!

I'm more then half serious. It's a real concern. I just do this for fun and any profits are minimal. Barely cover the costs of making the items.

Do they have any actual interest in the colecovision specifically or just the coleco name?

Ae they intersted in the homebrew scene? Can I have a value added experience by say submitting my game to be an officially licensed product. What percent would they expect and how would they further market my game to help us both. For instance if they were to help get a game I make added to a flashback type console then it it would be very reasonable for them to take a percentage since I would be reaching a larger market.

If they were to say take on such a role would they provide standardized logo designs, labels perhaps even providing packaging as a specialized online store.

Are they interested in releasing a new toy line such as the Sectaurs toy line from years ago.

are you going to start suing us all?

what I expected to see :P seriously though, he is very interested in getting questions. I am putting this one on the list :P it is a valid question for new brew's.

• Like 5

I'm more then half serious. It's a real concern. I just do this for fun and any profits are minimal. Barely cover the costs of making the items.

Do they have any actual interest in the colecovision specifically or just the coleco name?

Ae they intersted in the homebrew scene? Can I have a value added experience by say submitting my game to be an officially licensed product. What percent would they expect and how would they further market my game to help us both. For instance if they were to help get a game I make added to a flashback type console then it it would be very reasonable for them to take a percentage since I would be reaching a larger market.

If they were to say take on such a role would they provide standardized logo designs, labels perhaps even providing packaging as a specialized online store.

Are they interested in releasing a new toy line such as the Sectaurs toy line from years ago.

Excellent questions! Chris is going to love all this, so far I am up to 15 questions for Chris! And yep Digress, Chris loves the Colecovision and all things Coleco! the questions you have posed are the kind he is wanting to see :)

Are they going to exert more control over their IP in the future than they did with the Flashback? The controllers and testing of the games that were on it were atrocious compared to the Intellivision Flashback.

The return of the mini arcade consoles was teased by Mark a long time ago, what is the current status?

The Coleco Chameleon has licensed the brand name, how much input and control will you be exerting?

One of the barriers I and others have run into with respect to licencing existing IP is the up-front Cadillac prices expected from the IP Holder, especially for older, stagnant IP. IP Holders generally expect large up-front cash outlays by the very people that are willing to invest time and money to what amounts to extending and enhancing the IP on the holder's behalf. All the ones I've run into have no clue about modern crowd funding/social media promotion and are stuck in the pre-internet days of "rigid pay us now (and we'll also take a cut of sales)" Is there any room for smaller, more flexible arrangements that aren't so front-loaded?

• Like 1

Question i would have, is typically how it would cost to have the coleco brand on a "Colecovision 2" console . And how much to have the name on published games.?

so in fact what are the different options we have to have our product licensed by Coleco.

And can we have an exclusivity? Let say , i put on the market a colecovision 2 console , i don't want to see another console with the Colecovision brand on it.

And Second question , do you control on what the coleco brand is put? Is there some rules?

Edited by youki
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I found the podcast very interesting, transcribed a few key quotes here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247145-coleco-chameleon-hardware-speculations/?p=3461804

Chris, you mention that you are looking for a real working system. Get in touch with someone like Till Harboum and Lotharek who design and build a reliable and working FPGA emulator system called MiST. Get them to tweak the design to make it more user friendly (while still being open source and hackable). You can license and sell multigame SD cards (can even have multiple systems on the same card), and get that thing shipped. Maybe as a console but the best would be a mini arcade box which people still go wild for. If the open source emulator cores aren't up to scratch, talk to Kevtris (who also has his own FPGA system design that hasn't been manufactured yet).

ZX Vega plus in the UK shows how much appetite there is for even a pretty expensive system that is well designed, evoking memories of the original, and that comes with the official brand name and a ton of games: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-sinclair-zx-spectrum-vega-plus-console#/

• Like 1