IGNORED

Is this a Japanese heavy-sixer?

Dropzone

Hello all

I got this from a collector who got it from an other collector... that's just about all I know.

The machine works, but image quality is horrible on a PAL TV.

On the top right corner there is a label "2" (shiny metal-like)

On the bottom left there is an other label in Japanese (?)

Any information is more than welcome!

DSC00632_zpsy3thqutn.jpg

DSC00649_zpso1m0zsts.jpg

DSC00637_zpszq5suxye.jpg

DSC00655_zps0chpdf8l.jpg

DSC00669_zpsqieaxmei.jpg

DSC00677_zpstgz1sxft.jpg

DSC00673_zpske75pjbz.jpg

DSC00629_zpscyh8ihen.jpg

Heavy Sixers were not released or made in Japan from what I know. The Heavy Sixer was only released in North America. In Japan their models were released in 1983 as the Atari 2800 which looks like the Sears Video Arcade 2 and Atari 7800. It's very likely that these are stickers someone placed on there. Other than that a very pristine and beautiful looking Heavy Sixer.

Thanks for the answers!

I found this on gamestudies.org:

"However, the production of ‘Made in Japan’ home consoles started in 12 September 1975 with the toy company Epoch[12] and its “TV Tennis Electrotennis”. Epoch made a partnership with Magnavox for the development of the technology, as this console was wireless and functioning through a UHF antenna. It was obviously a Pong clone for the home, and was probably released even before the Atari “Home Pong” which has supposedly been commercialized by Sears for Christmas 1975 (Kent, 2001, p. 242). From 1975 to 1983, until the arrival of the Nintendo Family Computer (Famicom) in 1983, around 125 home consoles were released in Japan, most of them Pong clones and dedicated consoles, including importations of US consoles Odyssey (1974) and Atari VCS (1977) (Atsugi & Mizusaki, 2000; Game Museum, 2005, pp. 5--9)."

Is there anybody out there who is knowledgeable enough to confirm that this is an Epoch machine?

Wonder why it can't be used outside?

No kidding! Just a generic warning I'm sure. Like those tags that read: "WARNING! No user serviceable parts inside". :lol:

Really? I'm a user and those "parts" are quite serviceable to me. Replaceable at least. Maybe that's how they should be phrased: "ATTENTION! It's highly unlikely that you can replace the parts inside, so KEEP OUT"! :rolling:

• 3 months later...

It is Japanese script. Although I am not that good at reading it.

Rough translation for the back sticker:

This TV game is 2 Channel dedicated only.

Caution: In addition It cannot be used outside.

I translated it with the Google translator and its like that:

The game is only on channel 2.

Note: You can not use it on an other channel than 2.

Just to correct a few things here. The heavy sixer was not limited to north america. I have a genuine PAL heavy sixer that was sold here in the UK. And also mine has an orange bezel that is original, so its not true that all heavy sixers had a yellow painted bezel.

It also has the original 01 combat gatefold in PAL format too as well as 2 original CX10 joysticks. Coaxial cable built in.

Genuine PAL heavy sixers are rare. But it may have been sold in Japan too.

A beautiful looking console indeed.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

U.S. Heavy Sixers, at least the early ones, were dedicated to channel 2 and did not have a channel select switch. The text on the Epoch import states that the console can only be used on channel 2. However, which channel 2? The U.S. channel 2 is in the 54-60MHz band, but the Japanese Channel 2 is in the 96-102MHz band. U.S. and Japanese TVs of the time did not have the ability to receive at the other country's respective frequencies. Therefore, I cannot see how these systems would have worked in Japan unless Atari or Epoch modified the RF modulator inside the system.

Also, that connector may look like a 300-75 Ohm Balun, but I think it is more likely to be a right angle coaxial connector that someone put on as a mod. Japanese TVs tended to support both 300 Ohm separated pair and 75 Ohm single wire connections, but earlier TVs require the user to twist a wire around a screw connector and clamp the ground shielding for 75 Ohms. Later TVs may have come with a coaxial screw.

Edited by Great Hierophant

• 5 months later...

U.S. Heavy Sixers, at least the early ones, were dedicated to channel 2 and did not have a channel select switch.

Very informative post. But, I do not believe this part to be entirely accurate. I have a Heavy Sixer w/o channel select switch and it tunes to channel 3 (I have not put a scope on it to check the output, but all my TVs tune it on 3). I believe the Heavy Sixers w/o the channel select switch overall varied what channel it tuned to. It would be interesting to compile the data from the Heavy Sixer serial number list here to see the variance.

-Allen