IGNORED

How To CAPTURE GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE - All Generations PC, Consoles & Handhelds

Metal Jesus

I have captured over 40 years worth of game play footage beginning with the Atari 2600 to Nintendo SNES to Genesis to Playstation and XBOX. But also handhelds, Macs, Windows PCs and mobile devices like iOS and Android. Here are all the secrets that you can use on your YouTube channel or in your next video stream!

A few of you on AtariAge do console modding, correct? If so, please post in this thread!
  • Like 2

Good info! I'll freely admit that when capturing gameplay with my friend I use emulation. Sure it may not be the same, but it is worlds easier for old consoles ('specially handhelds) than trying to futz around with a bunch of other nonsense.

Awesome tip about capturing footage from iOS using Quicktime though, I never knew about that!

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if anyone can help me out. I have an Elgato Video Capture device and I have connected my Sega Genesis and Sega CDX to it and both of them displays the video black and white. What can be done to remedy this? Thanks

My buddy Pete Dorr had this problem with the original Elgato device... but I'm not sure how he resolved it. I would recommend just contacting their Customer Service department and see if it's a hardware or software issue they can resolve for you.

My buddy Pete Dorr had this problem with the original Elgato device... but I'm not sure how he resolved it. I would recommend just contacting their Customer Service department and see if it's a hardware or software issue they can resolve for you.

Hey MetalJesus,

I contacted tech support and it turns out that the Elgato Video Capture is not compatible with the Sega Genesis. They mentioned that I should connect the Genesis to a VCR or DVR player and then connect the player to the capture device.

Thanks for your assistance.

tv tuner cards will capture RF, mostly internal ones for desktops, not a lot of USB models will

a lot of SNES models will do component video out with a fairly easy wire mod, but you need a TV that works with 240p

A few of you on AtariAge do console modding, correct? If so, please post in this thread!

Yea I do, but generally not just for anyone, buddies I will, but mostly I will get a broken or untested system off ebay, fix it all up, mod it and sell it for usually cost and time involved here

Done quite a few 2600's

7800 composite mod

Couple NES's, one with a NESRGB with component option, and of course my nintoaster

A SNES with component out and a super CIC auto switching region free mod

and a gamegear composite out mod