IGNORED

Need Help Identifying Some Oddities

the1hatman

Two things I have never seen before from Intellivision. Hopefully someone can shed some light on them for me:

The first are the Auto Racing overlays. You can't really tell in the picture but these look and feel exactly like Imagic overlays. The texture is just like Demon Attack or Atlantis and with the same coating on the back. Did all Intellivision overlays have a version of this? Did Imagic make spare versions of original Mattel overlays? Either way, considering the hundreds of overlays I've had pass through my hands since returning to INTV collecting in 2006, how have I never seen or held a set of these before?

The other is the Carnival game. The label says it plays on both Intellivision and Intellivision II but I didn't think Coleco releases started that until Lady Bug and after. Did every early Coleco game get a re-release that was INTV II compatible? I ask because I would be very interested in finding all the versions that can play on my II system as that is my preferred model.

Any info is appreciated!

Oddities_zps9h7c94b8.jpg

Nice variations!

I've got a set of those Auto Racing overlays, and at least one other collector I know does, too. Auto Racing has an insane number of overlay variations!

http://intvfunhouse.com/games/auto.php#overlays

I don't really have any *info* -- but you do have what seems to be a pretty rare variation there. The story may be somewhat apocryphal, but word is this variation showed up in foreign-market releases. Who knows, perhaps near the end they used the same manufacturer for a small run of these as Imagic did?

EDIT: That GM in the lower right corner… Did GM make a luxury car w/ Intellivision built into it and give away a special edition of Auto Racing? :P (Just kidding, but dang, that would have been cool.)

For Carnival:

http://intvfunhouse.com/games/carn.php#labels

The copy of that label variation I have is on a tan cartridge. Great! Another variation? Does that count - sticker + cart shell combo? (Would that be insane?) Rumor has it that there was a revision to the ROM that fixed the "Mattel lock-out" issue.

Surely someone here can confirm whether the rumored Intellivision II-compatible ROM variant exists.

Edited by intvsteve
  • Like 1

Funny stuff here! Hatman I am going to look through some stuff to see what I can find for you,Hopefully I have some Coleco carts sitting somewhere. :thumbsup:

Thanks! I have the entire Coleco lineup CIB (if you count my self-made Turbo box) but I would love to find any of the early releases in Intellivision II compatible versions if they exist.

The funny thing about those Auto Racing overlays is that I got them from eBay for 98¢ just to complete an extra copy before I sold it off. Now I may have to post the overlays separately. Not sure what they will fetch but I'm willing to bet it is more than a buck, lol

I have a set of those Auto Racing overlays. I actually store them with my overlay-only collection in the Imagic section :) I knew they were rare, but I might only have that one set. I'll look through the piles tomorrow to see if I can find more.

I'll have to look through my Coleco carts too. I have a few bilingual labels and a subtle DK label variation that seems to be rare. Nice finds and good eye!

KITT from Night Rider was a GM car and Intellivision worthy! :ponder: This may have been the best use of Auto Racing.

Is there a reason for there not being a good racing game for Intellivision?

Nice variations!

I've got a set of those Auto Racing overlays, and at least one other collector I know does, too. Auto Racing has an insane number of overlay variations!

http://intvfunhouse.com/games/auto.php#overlays

EDIT: That GM in the lower right corner… Did GM make a luxury car w/ Intellivision built into it and give away a special edition of Auto Racing? :P (Just kidding, but dang, that would have been cool.)

I have a set of those Auto Racing overlays. I actually store them with my overlay-only collection in the Imagic section :) I knew they were rare, but I might only have that one set. I'll look through the piles tomorrow to see if I can find more.

I'll have to look through my Coleco carts too. I have a few bilingual labels and a subtle DK label variation that seems to be rare. Nice finds and good eye!

I have more of that silky overlays than that glossy ones. It may be rare in the Mattel lineup of overlays, but not when it comes to Auto Racing.

Guess what I just picked up at Trade-n- Games :D

I found an Imagic style Auto Racing overlay....for $0.50. Should I buy a lottery ticket too?

I was just out there Tuesday and was talking to the owner he was telling me he had a intellivision store display he said it was the only one he has ever seen

I was just out there Tuesday and was talking to the owner he was telling me he had a intellivision store display he said it was the only one he has ever seen

You didn't happen to get a picture did you? :) It would be great if he showed you what he was talking about.

You didn't happen to get a picture did you? :) It would be great if he showed you what he was talking about.

He showed me a pic on his phone .It had a place for a TV i am sure it was a system running a demo cart . He said it was at his warehouse and he was having it restored he also has a Atari and Coleco set up . He said he is going to post a bunch of videos on Youtube soon so hopefully it will be on there.