IGNORED

Atari Arcade Flashback system: Why hasn't it come out yet?

Its certainly not possible at all. Maybe there could be 2 arcade flashbacks: one for arcade games from The formative years of Atari up until the end of the Atari Inc. era in mid 1984, while the 2nd system would contain games made by Atari Games Corp.(AKA Atari's arcade branch after the home computer and console divisions of the company were sold to Mr. Tramiel.) What do you folks think??

Its certainly not possible at all. Maybe there could be 2 arcade flashbacks: one for arcade games from The formative years of Atari up until the end of the Atari Inc. era in mid 1984, while the 2nd system would contain games made by Atari Games Corp.(AKA Atari's arcade branch after the home computer and console divisions of the company were sold to Mr. Tramiel.) What do you folks think??

*Not impossible at all

Would just be rehashes of the same offerings we already have on various systems probably, but would still be kinda cool. Something else to purchase, never open and use to decorate the game room anyway. :lol:

Controller scheme would be pretty complex too I bet. Trakball, spinners, paddles, Asteroids button config, etc. Probably have to divide the libraries up into several different Flashback units in order to do the various games justice.

• Like 1

There won't be anything like that from AtGames in 2016 (those products are already set), or likely anything like that in 2017 either. They'd likely go digital first and see how that does. That shouldn't stop others from exploring the idea, though.

There's already iOS versions of most of Atari's big "glory days" hits, along with a similar collection of Williams games. Get a physical BT controller (still too damned expensive in my book but that's another subject ...) and you're set.

There won't be anything like that from AtGames in 2016 (those products are already set), or likely anything like that in 2017 either. They'd likely go digital first and see how that does. That shouldn't stop others from exploring the idea, though.

2016 yeah. But why not 2017 or 2018? Overall, What makes you so sure of that? Clearly neither you nor me are employees of Atgames nor infotari. Time will tell if you are right or not.

2016 yeah. But why not 2017 or 2018? Overall, What makes you so sure of that? Clearly neither you nor me are employees of Atgames nor infotari. Time will tell if you are right or not.

Actually, I am and directly advise on new product development.

• Like 1

This is probably my most-wanted retro gaming product. In my mind, it should have a trackball and five buttons with a design that closely mimics an arcade game panel. That would give it enough controls to play a nice selection of the best Atari arcade games, such as Centipede, Millipede, Missile Command, Asteroids (& Deluxe), Tempest, Space Duel, Liberator, Quantum, Major Havoc, Gravitar, Crystal Castles, etc. :-D

• Like 1

You better not be joking on this one... :? :?

What are you talking about? It's no secret that I work for AtGames as an Independent Contractor (Business Consultant). I've been particularly busy with them the past few months in terms of both physical and digital product planning and strategizing.

• Like 3

Would just be rehashes of the same offerings we already have on various systems probably, but would still be kinda cool. Something else to purchase, never open and use to decorate the game room anyway. :lol:

Controller scheme would be pretty complex too I bet. Trakball, spinners, paddles, Asteroids button config, etc. Probably have to divide the libraries up into several different Flashback units in order to do the various games justice.

This is a big reason I've never been happy with ANY version of arcade emulation. So many games are dependent on a certain controller style.

This is a big reason I've never been happy with ANY version of arcade emulation. So many games are dependent on a certain controller style.

I agree 100%. I don't care what the project is. I don't even like playing spinner games with trackballs or mice, as it seems some have no problem with. With that said, I am usually perfectly fine with using an 8-way joystick for 4-way joystick games, so I'd be fine with that as the basis for one of these as long as they stick to joystick-only games.

I don't see why the industry is so averse to making the necessary custom controls. Look back to the VCS, they had Paddles, Joysticks, Keyboard, Driving, and several other types from 3rd parties.

Seems the only option is to get pro-level arcade controls, and then you run into extra work interfacing them. Not that it's hard or anything, but they're not exactly turn-key solutions.

What are you talking about? It's no secret that I work for AtGames as an Independent Contractor (Business Consultant). I've been particularly busy with them the past few months in terms of both physical and digital product planning and strategizing.

Hey Bill, speaking of AtGames, any word on digital releases of ColecoVision and Intellivision stuff, as was discussed last year? The Chameleon doesn't count, because it's vaporware.

I don't see why the industry is so averse to making the necessary custom controls. Look back to the VCS, they had Paddles, Joysticks, Keyboard, Driving, and several other types from 3rd parties.

Seems the only option is to get pro-level arcade controls, and then you run into extra work interfacing them. Not that it's hard or anything, but they're not exactly turn-key solutions.

I would imagine it's because of getting burned by low sales. Remember the Nyko Trackball for Playstation that was used with the original Atari arcade molds? Or all the single-system driving controllers that have come out since the Playstation/Saturn/N64 days?

I doubt we will see a quality arcade plug-n-play that's much nicer than the Pac-Man stuff that's out today. I would totally jump on an affordable Atari-style flight yoke for games like Star Wars.

If someone is hardcore enough to want accurate controls, it's not difficult to find them at arcade suppliers (and at non-toy prices). This spinner is pretty.

The Atari Vault should be out soon and promises "precision control." Til then, there's MAME and all the existing commercial collections on consoles and handhelds.

• Like 1

Hey Bill, speaking of AtGames, any word on digital releases of ColecoVision and Intellivision stuff, as was discussed last year? The Chameleon doesn't count, because it's vaporware.

To be clear, AtGames has zero association with the Coleco Chameleon.

Right now, the only digital products AtGames has released are the ones for the Flashback Zone on their Direct2Drive service: https://www.direct2drive.com/#!/promotion/88 . I'm working with them now on significantly expanding the Flashback Zone.

I haven't asked in a while about why they haven't released the iOS apps, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen now since it hasn't been brought up in our meetings in a long time. The apps for both PC and iOS are actually quite good with cool interfaces, although I don't agree with the lack of physical controller support (I'm trying to get them to change that and it sounds like they eventually will, including possibly releasing their own USB controllers).

• Like 1

To be clear, AtGames has zero association with the Coleco Chameleon.

Right now, the only digital products AtGames has released are the ones for the Flashback Zone on their Direct2Drive service: https://www.direct2drive.com/#!/promotion/88 . I'm working with them now on significantly expanding the Flashback Zone.

I haven't asked in a while about why they haven't released the iOS apps, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen now since it hasn't been brought up in our meetings in a long time. The apps for both PC and iOS are actually quite good with cool interfaces, although I don't agree with the lack of physical controller support (I'm trying to get them to change that and it sounds like they eventually will, including possibly releasing their own USB controllers).

Hm, if I had heard about these, I hadn't remembered they existed! The packaging is interesting ... the Coleco 40-pack has the contents of the 20-pack, which in turn has the contents of the 10-pack. Same thing for Intellivision, the 10-pack is a subset of the 20-pack. They obviously need external controller support to be any fun, else I can't imagine they'd sell many of these. Steam keys would be nice, too.

I would be all over the iOS games if they came out and were decently supported (i.e. not abandoned and pulled from the store if an OS update breaks something). Then I look at the installation stats for the Intellivision games on Android, and realize that "100-500 installs" isn't sufficient incentive for them to put in the effort. :(

Thanks for the info, Bill!

• Like 1

In other news, the Colecovision Flashback 2 just might come out next year or so... Also, I personlly have no problem with trakball emulation with a mouse in and of itself. Just me.

I'm afraid it won't. There are no future plans for more ColecoVision or Intellivision Flashbacks. What's coming out in 2016 is two Atari 2600-based products and two Sega Genesis-based products. If there's room for expansion beyond that in 2017 (remember, shelf space is tight and AtGames doesn't want to oversaturate their own market), it would likely come from either an arcade-centric system or from a Commodore-centric system.

• Like 2

What is an arcade-centric machine? Are we talking about emulation of classic arcade games adapted for home use?

Nothing is happening at this time, but if anything were to at some point in the future, the idea would almost certainly be emulated and officially licensed arcade games. Again, no such product is in development or planned for development. I'm just saying that if any new products were added to the AtGames line-up for 2017 or beyond, the best bets are something arcade related or Commodore related.

• Like 1

I'd say do them both, but start with the arcade. That's more unique. We've seen several commodore things already.

It's a tough call. It's been almost a decade since the last Commodore-related mass market release and this one could potentially include both C-64 and Amiga stuff. The arcade one would definitely be neat though with the right games. In any case, it's a moot point at the moment. It's not something that would be brought up for discussion until at least November/December, and again, I doubt there's a great deal of interest in necessarily adding more physical products to the line-up.