IGNORED

VIC-20 durability vs the 64?

simbalion

From what I understand early SID chips in the C64 tend to overheat, but the early C64's had all kinds of issues anyway. The C64 power supply has been described as a 'ticking time bomb' by some people as it's a crappy design and can fry the system when one of the parts go. Not sure if the VIC-20 power supply has the same issues (they look similar though so maybe?). So far both my VIC-20 and C64 are just fine though.

A bit off topic, but Plus/4's have a horrible lifespan. The TED chip in them is really prone to frying itself.

As far as I know, the DIN style power supplies at first were interchangeably supplied with both VIC and C64. After a while, Commodore upped the specs slightly on the 5V from 1.5A to 1.6A, at least in Europe but at that point the VIC was out of production anyway.

Is it the climate where you are located that is particularly rough to Commodore chips?

I'm sure it's a lot of things. The Kansas climate is bad for electronics if they are stored anywhere but in a climate-controlled environment. Bitterly cold winters, extremely hot and humid summers, etc. So, if the stuff is stored in a garage, attic, or storage unit (where a lot of old obsolete computers end up), they don't take the neglect very well. Coupled with the lower-quality construction compared to IBM, Tandy, Atari, etc., the Commodore stuff just doesn't hold up as well. I have had luck with the C128 and C64c, but not the older C64 and VIC-20 units.