IGNORED

Atari 800 and sio2sd

rigaTONY

Hi,

I have a stock Atari 800 (my original from 1983).

I just received my sio2sd from Lotharek in the mail today, inclusive of an SD card with software on it (confirmed by looking at the SD card on my laptop).

I plugged it into my atari (with no BASIC cart installed), turned it on, and ... I get the Memo Pad. The sio2SD is lit up and I can click on stuff, but doesn't do what it's supposed to do.

I read something about needing to disable the high speed sio for an Atari 800, but I can't really find any clear instructions on AtariAge or Lotharek's website.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

rigaTONY

Thanks for the input folks.

I understand the concept of having to mount a bootable image.

The SD that came with the sio2sd appears to have lots of stuff on it. I suspect that it doesn't require me to add an Atari directory.

But I don't see any good instructions on Lotharek's website of whatever steps I need to do in order to get it working.

I left him an email message.

Wondering if any of you have the same equipment or have had similar startup issues and can help me through this. Frustrating to be soooo close to getting this fired up.

Many thanks for all your support.

Edited by rigaTONY

I recently bought a Sio2sd and SD card from Lotharek and it wouldn't work with my 800 at all, but was fine on my 800XL and 130XE. On my 800 it would just freeze on the loader screen, Start, Select, Option and Reset would not respond.

I downloaded the Configurator from the Sio2sd site and had a look in the Opis setup manual, although in Polish you could see how to enter the config mode with a double tap of the Shift button. From there you can step through the options and adjust or disable the Sio high speed, for me I had to turn off Topdrive mode which removed the loader. See video link.

Configurator_35.zip - http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/SoftwareATARI_en

https://youtu.be/2zsQ0SHg_ac

Hi.

I'm still having little to no success.

I got a menu to show up, but then the computer freezes.

I'm posting a video of results, in which I scroll through the settings of the sio2SD:

I'm hoping someone can offer some other guidance?

Many thanks for everyone's input, esp to Zarxx for his video.

rigaTONY

Thanks Phaeron. I replaced the loader on the SD card with your custom one and it works great. I didn't know this existed.

rigaTONY if you do the same that should solve your issue. Just replace the Sio2SD.xex file with the fixed one. You can then browse with the cursor keys and launch with the joystick button.

ARGHH!!! Somehow I've taken 2 steps backwards. I don't know what I clicked or did, but now I can't even bother to try to replace the loader you guys mention because nothing will load right now. Now I only get MEMO PAD when I turn it on. And the TOP DRIVE is off.

All cables are inserted properly. I even checked and confirmed that I can load regular 5.25" disks via my functional 1050 drive. So, I'm confident it's not a faulty sio port.

See my video where I scroll through each setting.

Please help.

Edited by rigaTONY

ARGHH!!! Somehow I've taken 2 steps backwards. I don't know what I clicked or did, but now I can't even bother to try to replace the loader you guys mention because nothing will load right now. Now I only get MEMO PAD when I turn it on. And the TOP DRIVE is off.

All cables are inserted properly. I even checked and confirmed that I can load regular 5.25" disks via my functional 1050 drive. So, I'm confident it's not a faulty sio port.

See my video where I scroll through each setting.

Please help.

See the video below for my settings/advice. My 800 is just the standard machine, no mods. BTW I get Memo Pad if the SD card is removed, so you might want to check/reseat it or replace if you have a spare.

https://youtu.be/M6fVnx0srug

ok... now something stupid... I got sio2sd, too.... but where is such a loader? I always mount XEX or ATR to a Drive with the hardware keys?

Standard ones (XL/XE only?) available here - http://sio2sd.gucio.pl/wiki/SoftwareATARI_en

Working 800 modified one - see #10 above

Sio2sd.xex was on the root of my SD card I got from Lotharek and I had the same issues originally, just mounting via the hardware. It looks like unless the Sio2sd is configured as such, it's not loaded by default. I also found that if you copied it into the Atari folder you could select it via the hardware like any other file and run it that way too.

Here is my current SD card Root and Atari folder structure which is used in the video above.

post-44915-0-70050100-1455895476_thumb.jpgpost-44915-0-08367500-1455895482_thumb.jpg

Very disappointing and still no luck.

Here's some observations:

1. At 1:19 in my video, as soon as I turn the computer on, the sio2SD LCD screen reads "no SD/MMC card" for a split second, and then changes to read "31: $53(S) $0000". The computer goes to Memo Pad. Is this momentary "no SD/MMC card" a clue and/or meaningful? Do any of you get this too??

2. I tried re-seating the existing SD card. I also copied all of its contents to another SD card I have (using the same exact root director structure) and tried this other SD card in the reader. I get the same "memo pad"

3. I tried re-seating the SIO cable numerous times, to no avail.

4. Lotharek replied to me this evening and said he thinks my SIO port is bad and I should try another atari computer. But... if it's a bad SIO port, how can my Atari1050 drive function? I tried booting from my 1050 and it worked fine. I even played a game of jumpman from the 5.25" disk.

5. I tried daisy chaining the 800 to the 1050 to the sio2SD. The 1050 booted up the 800, and the sio2SD has power, but acts the same as usual (i.e. split second of "no SD/MMC card", and then changes to read "31: $53(S) $0000")

I'm handy with a volt meter and resistance meter, in case I should be checking something.

Again, I thank you all for the advice and your very patient help. Any guidance you can offer is appreciated.

Very disappointing and still no luck.

Here's some observations:

1. At 1:19 in my video, as soon as I turn the computer on, the sio2SD LCD screen reads "no SD/MMC card" for a split second, and then changes to read "31: $53(S) $0000". The computer goes to Memo Pad. Is this momentary "no SD/MMC card" a clue and/or meaningful? Do any of you get this too??

2. I tried re-seating the existing SD card. I also copied all of its contents to another SD card I have (using the same exact root director structure) and tried this other SD card in the reader. I get the same "memo pad"

3. I tried re-seating the SIO cable numerous times, to no avail.

4. Lotharek replied to me this evening and said he thinks my SIO port is bad and I should try another atari computer. But... if it's a bad SIO port, how can my Atari1050 drive function? I tried booting from my 1050 and it worked fine. I even played a game of jumpman from the 5.25" disk.

5. I tried daisy chaining the 800 to the 1050 to the sio2SD. The 1050 booted up the 800, and the sio2SD has power, but acts the same as usual (i.e. split second of "no SD/MMC card", and then changes to read "31: $53(S) $0000")

I'm handy with a volt meter and resistance meter, in case I should be checking something.

Again, I thank you all for the advice and your very patient help. Any guidance you can offer is appreciated.

1. Mine does this too, so seems to be normal. Did you try clearing/turning off the drives with shift+enter as per my video?"

2. I only get Memo Pad if I boot with no SD card in and the unit says No SD card inserted, so yours does seem to be detecting the card ok if it displays "31: $53(S) $0000"

Just played around with the tool. Cool stuff. Was not aware of that loader. But what I did not managed to setup sio2sd.xex as default loader via auto start. I followed the instructions but I did not succeed. Hmmm. Of course it can remain in d1: but as soon as I load another one the content of d1: gets exchanged?

My understanding is that it is possible to get a SIO2 with a USB connection and an Atari serial interface which would negate the need for the "SD Card" which I think is actually supposed to be a memory card. That would enable you to load a program found online with a pc into an Atari PC and save it either in the SIO2 or onto some memory device. There are Youtube videos of SIO2's being connected but they are not clear and there is no indication as to which SIO2 they actually are using. It is a shame that no one has come up with clear indications of the device and the step by step process to use in simple easy to follow language with no terms like "make an image" without an explanation of exactly how one does that.

Ok, I've success!!, but I've no idea how or why.

I've plugged this sio2SD a dozen times, and changed settings as suggested by Zarxx and others. All to no avail. Each time I was met with just the Memo Pad, as if the sio2SD was ignored each time.

Then this last time, I'm staring at the Memo Pad and, in frustration, I unplug the sio2SD while the computer is on, and plug it back in. It acts the same way as always, but when I reboot, it springs to life.

Lotharek says it's proof that my computer's sio port is bad.

I'm skeptical of this because my sio port works just fine with my 1050.

Anyhow, I swapped the xex file to get the Atari800 compatible version, as suggested above. Works perfectly.

I want to thank you all for your help and advice.

Now I have to learn how to use this properly, how to copy files from my floppies onto it, and I have to figure out what programs that came with it are 800 compatible (some are definitely not as they crash my system immediately.)

Thanks Again.

I read the sio2sd manual many times and tried different settings...

What is best practice so my sio2sd boots always the sio2sd.xex file (in high speed) and then let me load another file via menu? But in a way that the sio2sd.xex is still loaded next time?

I tried the virtual disks etc but just wanted to know what the most convienent way is?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I read the sio2sd manual many times and tried different settings...

What is best practice so my sio2sd boots always the sio2sd.xex file (in high speed) and then let me load another file via menu? But in a way that the sio2sd.xex is still loaded next time?

I tried the virtual disks etc but just wanted to know what the most convienent way is?

Was wondering that myself.

From here:

https://retrogamesultra.com/2017/03/06/atari-sio2sd/

To ensure the Loader software is run at each boot:

On SIO2SD double press SHIFT to get into Config mode.
Press K1 button until “cfgtool mode:” is displayed.
Press K2 button to select “every startup“.
Press K3 button.
Press K1 button until “topdrive mode:” is displayed.
Press K2 button to set it to “off“.
Turn off computer.
Turn on computer.