IGNORED

Rider of the Night (REVISED)

frankodragon

EDIT: Newest version located here.

In some other thread, somebody was promising about a Knight Rider game but that turned out to be short-lived. So as I was working on Panda

Racer, I'd thought of changing the graphics around and calling it, 'Rider of the Night.' I couldn't call it Knight Rider as I don't want a C&D letter from Universal.

You are Mike Night in a city held hostage by crime and corruption. Nobody can escape areas of the city unless they manage to race on dangerous roads with hazards such as red orbs that will empty your gas tank and bombs thrown from planes. Only then secret tunnels to other parts of the city will be unveiled if you manage to obtain the checkered flags.

There is a mastermind behind all the crime. Defeat him and the city will return to its peaceful state.

CONTROLS ON WORLD MAPS: Control pad to move in four directions: (up, down, left right).

CONTROLS WHILE DRIVING ON TRACKS: Left and Right to move car; left fire button to accelerate. (The right button was supposed to be the horn but at

times it doesn't work.)

CONTROLS WHILE FIGHTING: Control pad to move in four directions; left fire button to punch.

There are four parts to the large city. Each area has several tracks represented by parked cars located somewhere on each area map. Just touch the parked cars and you'll immediately start a race.In the race, it's pretty much an avoidance game as cars will run you off the road and red orbs will drain your fuel if you touch them. Green orbs will replenish your fuel. In later levels you'll also have to dodge bombs from planes.

While on the city maps, there are semis filled with goons hired by the crime boss. If you end up meeting one, start punching the goon immediately so he goes to the right of the screen. If you get moved to the left side of the screen, the game is over.

There is no score- you just need to survive throughout the whole game and kick crime out of the city.

By no means is this game perfect- there are glitches, screen flicker, things appearing disappearing, etc.. I've also added Voice code but have no means of testing it out as MESS doesn't have voice emulation (yet).

This is another 512K game so using the Prosystem emulator WILL NOT work.

And no, I'm not that joker whom posted that hot-air back in 2003.

post-18158-0-09188300-1455436112_thumb.jpg

post-18158-0-52950600-1455436111_thumb.jpg

post-18158-0-89417200-1455436110_thumb.jpg

post-18158-0-31328600-1455436110_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Franko

what voices should be heard?

greetings Walter

For starters, during the title screen, you should hear "Play Rider of the Night"

In fight scenes, it's varied such as "You will Die" and "Welcome to your Doom." (Kind of like Altered Beast)

In later levels, with the plane, you'll be warned about the bombs falling such as "Look out Mike! It is a bomb!"

For starters, during the title screen, you should hear "Play Rider of the Night"

In fight scenes, it's varied such as "You will Die" and "Welcome to your Doom." (Kind of like Altered Beast)

In later levels, with the plane, you'll be warned about the bombs falling such as "Look out Mike! It is a bomb!"

Hi Franco

Sorry,but Atarivox does not work :(

However there is some Atarivox sound,only a short tune,

when GAME OVER

Greetings Walter

It's not enough to define the speech data. You need to send it to the vox with a speak command.

e.g. "speak upspeech"

The vox data really needs to be hand-tweaked a fair bit to make it sound half-decent. I don't think you'll have success adding speech support without being able to test on real hardware.

If you're repeating the same speak command every time the main loop executes, then it never gets a chance to complete.

You need to call it just once. An if...then in the loop with a state variable is one way to do that. Another would be just to call it in the code leading up to the main loop.

• Like 1

Hi Franco

Better news....Atari VOX works somehow...at the beginning

Your hear something....but only a short voice.

In Fighting scene...voice sounds better but still not

Perfect.....till now,i did not reach the plane scene.

so i could not check the voice here.But the voice disappears,when starting again.You hear the voice one time,after loading the game, in the titlescreen and only

One time in the first fight scene.

Greetings Walter

Edited by gambler172
  • Like 1

Rider of the Night-- Take three:

I had to omit some of the code when the tunnels are open. I was getting weird graphics with the dimensional variables at $222B

attachicon.gifknight_rider.bas.a78

attachicon.gifknight_rider.bas.bin

Hi Franco

this Version....Atarivox works best.....not perfect but......better,than the other ones

greetings Walter

This is the code I'm using:

if voice_check=0 then speak upspeech

speak upspeech
	speechdata upspeech
    reset
    phonetic   'play rider of the night':voice_check=1
end

Then after the music code:

tsound 1,0,0,0
  voice_check=0

goto titlemainloop

I don't know if the music code is interfering with the voice. The DIM "voice check" sets the voice to either on or off i.e. 0=on; 1=off