IGNORED

Ps1 on Ps3 issues

supercoupe91

Wanted to play Crash Warped last night but it freezes up just before the title screen. Disc had some minor scratches so I ran it through my disc buffer and cleaned it up but still same issue. Took my ps3 apart and cleaned it out along with the laser eye. Put it back together and same thing still. So then I dug my ps1 out of the closet and hooked it up. Sure enough, it plays perfect. Another game I tried, the ps3 would run it but the music would not play. I have played other ps1 games on my ps3 without issues so it seems only certain games are having problems.

Anyone else have similar problems? Anything I can do to help the issue? Is my ps3 dying? Any input would be much appreciated.

Edited by supercoupe91

I stopped playing PS1 disc based games on my PS3 a while ago. I actually keep a PS2 hooked up all the time. What model PS3 do you have? Hardware or software emulation may make a difference....

PS1 compatibility was always emulation based on the PS3.

It was PS2 backwards compatibility that initially was hardware based and then was switched to a hybrid setup where the Emotion Engine was emulated while the PS2's GPU remained (Which is why it eventually disappeared entirely, in order to save the cost of the GPU).

Edited by Atariboy

PS1 compatibility was always emulation based on the PS3.

It was PS2 backwards compatibility that initially was hardware based and then was switched to a hybrid setup where the Emotion Engine was emulated while the PS2's GPU remained (Which is why it eventually disappeared entirely, in order to save the cost of the GPU).

Thats right forgot about that. Not sure what the problem might be other than just scrapping it and getting another PS3.

• 2 weeks later...

I still use my PS3 for all my PS1 gaming, and the only problem I've had is that timing is off with music/rhythm games. Which sucks because that includes some of my favorite PS1 games: PaRappa, Um Jammer Lammy and Bust-a-Groove 1 and 2. Unlike some newer titles like Rock Band, there's no way to calibrate timing in-game on those games either.

• 6 months later...

I still use my PS3 for all my PS1 gaming, and the only problem I've had is that timing is off with music/rhythm games. Which sucks because that includes some of my favorite PS1 games: PaRappa, Um Jammer Lammy and Bust-a-Groove 1 and 2. Unlike some newer titles like Rock Band, there's no way to calibrate timing in-game on those games either.

I know this is an old post, but I am glad you mentioned this. I love the PS1 game Tempest X but when I tried to play it on the ps3 the timing was all off, no one really got what i was complaining about when I mentioned it at Gamestop and other places that it looked right but didnt play right. Anyway it's a real pita because its not worth having a ps1 set up for literally one game but you know, if playing tempest on my ps3 is my biggest problem I'm doing okay.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is an old post, but I am glad you mentioned this. I love the PS1 game Tempest X but when I tried to play it on the ps3 the timing was all off, no one really got what i was complaining about when I mentioned it at Gamestop and other places that it looked right but didnt play right. Anyway it's a real pita because its not worth having a ps1 set up for literally one game but you know, if playing tempest on my ps3 is my biggest problem I'm doing okay.

I spent a little time last weekend playing some PS1 games (on PS3) and remembered what you wrote about Tempest, so I put it in and I didn't have any problems at all. Do you have any way to calibrate your audio/video sync on your TV or AV receiver?