IGNORED

What's the best homebrew for the Atari 7800? (in the AA store)

GoldenWheels

The Best Atari 7800 Homebrews  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best 7800 homebrew (in the AA store)?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

So a few things first!

1. Obviously you can interpret "best" in any way you wish. This could mean your personal favorite homebrew game, a homebrew game that you feel achieves something technically impressive, a homebrew game that represents great value to you as it contains multiple games, etc.

2. To keep this simple and approachable, I limited poll options to those games currently available in the Atari Age store. This is less a free plug for you to go spend some money there (Albert, feel free to send me the kickbacks) than it is just a defining line to keep things simple. I am sure some of you have played some wonderful homebrews via emulator or special cart that are NOT in the store, but that takes the conversation down a road of betas and tests and what ifs IMO, while leaving any conversation too broad.

3. I allowed multiple votes...you get five. Five and no more please! ;)

4. Like with pro wrestling, I am offering guidelines/"rules" here only so fun can be had when they are ignored. Want to tell me about some great homebrew you played on M.E.S.S. or ProSystem Emulator? Please do. Just know that I will hate you, since I don't emulate, currently. But really try and think about your five picks, please. :)

Oddly I can't even vote (fully) yet...I have b*nQ and Beef Drop on the way to me....and I have high hopes for Beef Drop.

For me it is.

Pac-Man Collection: Easily and hands down the greatest Pac-Man port I have ever played. Selecting the types of games, plus mode, and many other options make this the best brew for the 7800.

Frenzy: Excellent and identical to the arcade game plus the option to play Berzerk with the voice modulated.

Astro Blaster: Great shoot em up! If you like Megamania? This one will blow you away!

Scramble: Like the others. An amazing port and one of the most addicting games for the system.

Moon Cresta: If you like Galaxian, Galaga, and Gyruss mixed into one? Give this a try!

• Like 1

I played 2 constantly - Crazy Brix and Frenzy!

Astro Blaster was also impressive and fun.

I am speaking about these games in past tense because, with the exception of Frenzy, I sold off most of my 7800 collection and returned to the greatest of all classic consoles - COLECOVISION! Sorry Atari!?

I'd love to see more people reviewing games in the store, without having to bribe people. :D You can do so by hunting down the game in the store, clicking the "Reviews" tab, and then, "Add Your Review".

..Al

I'll take bribes for reviews. :)

Actually, you're right though - considering my collection, I should get a few up soonish.

I have several homebrews -- the Bob DeCrescenzo 30th Anniversary Collection, Space Invaders (because the one on the BD compilation has a bug), RipOff, B*nq, Beef Drop, Jr. and Super Pac-Man, Frenzy, Space Duel, and K.C. Munchkin!, and they are all fantastic. From my experience, just pick a homebrew. Any homebrew. You'll love it.

• Like 1

I have several homebrews -- the Bob DeCrescenzo 30th Anniversary Collection, Space Invaders (because the one on the BD compilation has a bug), RipOff, B*nq, Beef Drop, Jr. and Super Pac-Man, Frenzy, Space Duel, and K.C. Munchkin!, and they are all fantastic. From my experience, just pick a homebrew. Any homebrew. You'll love it.

Combat 2000? :P

My Beef Drop and b*nQ are now "out for delivery", should be some fun tonight at my house. :)

Oh yeah! Couple of great games right there. Only problem I have with Beef Drop is how the hot dogs are drawn and animated. Not a fan of the flat head jiggle I guess. :lol:

Plays great though as does b*nQ. Goofy name, but we all know what it is. Still, couldn't it have been called Q*bernie, Q*butt, Q*burnt, Q*bungie or something? :rolling: