IGNORED

Which are the funniest video games?

For a long time people thought that making video games that were funny was near impossible. Although it's extremely difficult (after all, comedy is all about timing, body language and delivering punch lines and those are all elements that are hard to pull off in games,) several titles have proven that humor is possible in games. I'll leave some of my favorites below in the form of a link, but I was wondering what some of you think are some of the funniest video games ever made.

Top 10: Funniest Video Games of All Time

conker-s-bad-fur-day-was-set-up-to-fail-

• Like 1

I always found the Space Quest series on computer to be highly amusing.

The Worms series was quite funny when it first came out. I still remember laughing as a teen at the exploding sheep.

I think it's easier nowadays to make a funny game because of all the narrative tools available now that might not have been available before the advent of 3D.

Tengai Makyou The Apocalypse IV is probably the funniest. The TM/Far East Of Eden series is inspired by the misinterpretations of feudal Japan by a fictional Western historian. As crazy and hilarious as the games became up until that point, The Apocalypse IV is infinitely crazier and so much further over the top and layered with humor than previous games.

It takes place in that fictional world's version of America during the late 1800's. You begin the game in the Arctic island of Alaska, and continue on through the various states of America. The immirtal insane ape Manto returns first as a b&w film star similar to King Kong. Before battling him in a Virtua Fighter 2 style match, you piece together the Japanese food-based mecha vehicles (while breaking in and out of Alcatraz) which combine to form the giant "Geisha Robo" (complete with theme song performed by Hironobu Kageyama).

After defeating Manto, he laters shows up as the "King of Lake Tahoe" and puts you through a series of game show-style deadly trials.

In the south you befiend a Jamaican bob Sledder named "Bob". After winning a race sliding down a sandy hill he exclaims "cool runnings!"

In Tombstone you face Billy the Kid with the help of Ace, who is the exact same character as the biggest star of the series: Kabuki Danjuro. However, Ace's over the top outfit is inspired by Marty McFly's when he time traveled to the old west.

You join forces with the Texas Rangers to stop the evil JFK from nuking America. While killing him he turns out to be a Terminator-style cyborg.

Every place you visit in the huge game is packed full mythology and humor that so much breaks through the language barrier that I can't even begin to list much of it.

Paper Mario & its sequel 1,000 Year Door. Both had great writing and were hilarious.

For a long time people thought that making video games that were funny was near impossible.
Huh? Who? When? I think a lot of developers were adding bits of humor to games in the early 80s. The Pac Man intermissions being a prime example. Games like Beauty and the Beast on the Inty had some funny bits. There are lots of examples. Of course, there's only so much you could get across on earlier consoles, but humor was certainly there. Edited by BydoEmpire

I know it's PC, not console gaming, but I'm definitely voting for the first (and maybe second and third) Leisure Suit Larry games. Al Lowe really had this wry wackiness that hits my humor sweet spot. Of course, having played those games since I was too young to be doing so, maybe my sense of humor just got warped after exposure to them. Lefty's and Lost Wages get funnier as satire the older I get, and the surreal island fantasy of the second and third are everything just turned up to 11.

W

Paper Mario & its sequel 1,000 Year Door. Both had great writing and were hilarious.

Huh? Who? When? I think a lot of developers were adding bits of humor to games in the early 80s. The Pac Man intermissions being a prime example. Games like Beauty and the Beast on the Inty had some funny bits. There are lots of examples. Of course, there's only so much you could get across on earlier consoles, but humor was certainly there.

Well, when I wrote those lines I remembered this article from the BBC from a while ago. Of course, making video games that are truly funny isn't impossible (if I though that, I would have never started this topic,) but I do think it's difficult.

For me its got to be the "Little Bonus Room" from the genius game Skullmonkeys. If you have ever played the awesome "The Neverhood" PC clay animation Point and click game, this is the 2nd game in the series and its a platformer.

The bonus room is just jumping about but the song is the best part... the lyrics are hilarious.

Here check out the song...

Listen to the calm voice and what he is saying... don't worry its gets better.. haha..

• Like 1

For me its got to be the "Little Bonus Room" from the genius game Skullmonkeys. If you have ever played the awesome "The Neverhood" PC clay animation Point and click game, this is the 2nd game in the series and its a platformer.

The bonus room is just jumping about but the song is the best part... the lyrics are hilarious.

Here check out the song...

Listen to the calm voice and what he is saying... don't worry its gets better.. haha..

I had never heard that before (granted, I never played Skullmonkeys.) I had no idea that this was a successor to The Neverhood. Those games looked fantastic back in the day.

• 2 weeks later...

Shadow Hearts 2.

Well, specifically Joachim Valentine in Shadow Hearts 2. A French Vampire who does pro-wresting/superheroing as the Grand Papillion, who also turns into a golden bat & gets new weapons from picking up random things you walk by. At the very least, one of the strangest people I've played as in an RPG.