IGNORED

3D printing a display stand for the Lynx

Trew

Anyone got the design chops to design an 3D printed display stand for the Lynx (either/both models). Something like this:

c243100c69.png

Or a simplified version of Rygar's here (Maybe just the stand part and the plate):

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/124282-do-it-yourself/

But I thought about using the Atari logo as the back plate and maybe the Lynx logo at the bottom/front? Basically, I have a 3D printer but no time/skills. Would happily print off a few for whoever was cool enough to come up with one (or any other form of fair payment).

Whaddya say team AA?

• Like 1

In case you or someone else reading this thread are at all interested in just buying something premade rather than doing the custom route, I have found that china/dinner plate display stands work pretty well for the lynx (particularly the lynx 1). They come in a variety of shapes and materials. Here is one holding up my lynx 1.

voRWXdv.jpg

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Been tinkering with designs today (never designed anything for 3D printing before). Here's where I am at so far. The base of the print came out bad, but you get the idea. This works for the Lynx I quite well. The Lynx II not so much as it's a lot fatter, so sorta perches on top of the Lynx logo, and isn't very steady.

So I'm making another version with a longer plate to accommodate. Will add more photos when I get a better print/print the new one.

post-41523-0-31944600-1457039899_thumb.jpg

post-41523-0-28161000-1457039913_thumb.jpg

post-41523-0-04571600-1457039923_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

It turned out very nice. I was doing the Fuji symbol in a bit different way. The idea was to start the three bands already from the LYNX logo and have 3 bands go under the LYNX. Then twist the right and left band to form a 3-dimensional Fuji symbol that would be narrower at the top. The middle band would bend backward to allow the design to hang from a screw in the wall.

But unfortunately I am still stuck with modeling it in Blender ;)

Nice to see that your design works.

• Like 1

It turned out very nice. I was doing the Fuji symbol in a bit different way. The idea was to start the three bands already from the LYNX logo and have 3 bands go under the LYNX. Then twist the right and left band to form a 3-dimensional Fuji symbol that would be narrower at the top. The middle band would bend backward to allow the design to hang from a screw in the wall.

But unfortunately I am still stuck with modeling it in Blender ;)

Nice to see that your design works.

I can do that! Not in Blender, Blender is a thing of cad-work nightmares. Gimme a minute, STL soon...

Been tinkering with designs today (never designed anything for 3D printing before). Here's where I am at so far. The base of the print came out bad, but you get the idea. This works for the Lynx I quite well. The Lynx II not so much as it's a lot fatter, so sorta perches on top of the Lynx logo, and isn't very steady.

So I'm making another version with a longer plate to accommodate. Will add more photos when I get a better print/print the new one.

Nice stand. That Lynx I looks familiar :)

• 1 month later...

The Lynx game case is a good idea, but not as a 3D printed part *directly* but 3D print a mold and make them out of something else, like HDPE (I print in ABS, high temp, and it's good for molding HDPE which is lower temp). I'll make this an idea to make in reality when I get everything back going again. Good idea!!

I wonder if it's plausible to create a small plastic case for lynx carts that snaps shut with a thin plastic hinge just like the game boy and game gear ones, on a 3d printer.

• Like 2

The Lynx game case is a good idea, but not as a 3D printed part *directly* but 3D print a mold and make them out of something else, like HDPE (I print in ABS, high temp, and it's good for molding HDPE which is lower temp). I'll make this an idea to make in reality when I get everything back going again. Good idea!!

Nice one! This too sounds amazing. I really hope it can be done!

In case you or someone else reading this thread are at all interested in just buying something premade rather than doing the custom route, I have found that china/dinner plate display stands work pretty well for the lynx (particularly the lynx 1). They come in a variety of shapes and materials. Here is one holding up my lynx 1.

voRWXdv.jpg

I'd put some rubber bumpers on those, the acrylic is sooner or later going to leave a mark on the bezel.

• Like 1