IGNORED

What's wrong with Trevor Mcfur and the Crescent Galaxy? !?!?

Scorponok

Exactly. For me that game is another sidescroller for the st. It is called steigar and it is dull and repetitive and its controls arent great but i think i like the graphics a lot. Maybe cyrano jones can port it to the jag so trevor will have company

Sure why not? CJ is already porting games as a path to martyrdom anyway so I don't see why he wouldn't spend time on a game that according to you "it is dull and repetitive and its controls arent great" :roll: .... you claim you liked the gfx how about we have CJ make a slideshow of it instead ... that's gonna be fun for him and bring him closer to that martyrdom I was talking about :ponder: .

Jetboot Jack would be the person who might be able to go into just what kind of courting Atari UK did with Microprose:

"At Microprose UK we ported one of our Genesis games, "Tin Head" a platformer, to the 68K in the Jag in a couple of weeks - obviously it looked, sounded and played just like the Gensis game...."

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/3862-how-hard-is-it-to-make-jag-games/?hl=tinhead

I did make a half-baked attempt months ago, to look into Press Claims Microprose had signed up to convert Gunship 2000 to the Jaguar, got as far as a P.R person for one of the released versions, passing my request and details onto him, to see if he knew of any plans, but he never replied, i never bothered looking any further, as vast majprity of UK Mag claims that were made, never hold water, when you actually 'speak' to the developers themselves.

Edited by Lost Dragon

Watched a playthough and just discovered that you can "pause" and change weapon in pause, and that suddenly made this game much more beatable, and "pause" a killer button in a game. <<< Try it out if you didn't know this.

Ha! Tried the game for the first time in months with this new "pause" strategy I learned from youtube, and I beat the game on first try (PAL)!

How to beat it: know what the power ups do, and "pause" when you need something, like a shield or a kill-all, and the weapons you can switch between with the "option" button in pause mode.

Hardest mini boss is the clay man in the swamp; use the white box/kill all 4 times and his dead. On last boss Odd I used 3 of them I believe then 3 lasers and that's it.

I rellay use the "A button" bombs a lot in the game, so get good at them is a good hint, and stay in top of screen most of time, since you then can shoot in two directions: forward and down with bombs.

If I knew this from the beginning it woul dhave saved me 10 hours of McFurrin' arghh (all thos wasted years)! :D Naah, good feeling.

• Like 1

Jetboot Jack would be the person who might be able to go into just what kind of courting Atari UK did with Microprose:

"At Microprose UK we ported one of our Genesis games, "Tin Head" a platformer, to the 68K in the Jag in a couple of weeks - obviously it looked, sounded and played just like the Gensis game...."

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/3862-how-hard-is-it-to-make-jag-games/?hl=tinhead

I did make a half-baked attempt months ago, to look into Press Claims Microprose had signed up to convert Gunship 2000 to the Jaguar, got as far as a P.R person for one of the released versions, passing my request and details onto him, to see if he knew of any plans, but he never replied, i never bothered looking any further, as vast majprity of UK Mag claims that were made, never hold water, when you actually 'speak' to the developers themselves.

Ahhh, thanks for digging this out.

Now that you mention it, I think I remember Gunship 2000 in those inaccurate 'games in development' lists in the 90s. Gunship was such a great game. Although it was already a year or two old by the time the Jaguar came out, sims like that just didn't translate well to home systems before the Jag.

I'm not arguing that this is the strategy that Atari should have taken. But the number pad suggests a unique route. When you think of what makes the Lynx library so great, a mix of originals and killer Atari Games arcade ports, the Jaguar might have had a stronger library with a little more vision and focus.

• Like 1

How to beat it: know what the power ups do, and "pause" when you need something, like a shield or a kill-all, and the weapons you can switch between with the "option" button in pause mode.

Could as well have been a turn based game. You move, they move, you move and so on....

I believe we can put this one with "Checkered Flag race while in first gear" ..... sure why not but I doubt it makes the game gain in fun factor.

Even saying it sounds funny.

"In order to get thru it you need to slow it down (50hz) and then use the Pause button" ..... priceless.

• Like 1

Could as well have been a turn based game. You move, they move, you move and so on....

I believe we can put this one with "Checkered Flag race while in first gear" ..... sure why not but I doubt it makes the game gain in fun factor.

Even saying it sounds funny.

"In order to get thru it you need to slow it done (50hz) and then use the Pause button" ..... priceless.

LOL yeah

I use pause lets say 20 to 30 times and it makes it beat able so it moves much in RTS too. Yes get a PAL mod switch, it's needed for sure =)

LOL yeah

I use pause lets say 20 to 30 times and it makes it beat able so it moves much in RTS too. Yes get a PAL mod switch, it's needed for sure =)

I performed my own 50/60Hz switch mod when I was incapable of triggering TmF cheat code at 60Hz and I made a case that only the 50Hz version of the game had the code ... turns out I was wrong.

[in order to play at 50Hz in NTSC land I had to order a Jag RGB cable and go thru an XRGB mini LOL]

But back to the point take any game of the shoot-em-up genre across all consoles and I don't remember a single one of them in which you had to use the "pause" button as an integral part of the strategy and I mean when it was supported at all and at that for anything else than allow the player to go to the loo. I understand experimentation is a way to reach new height, but in this case just play thru the damn thing to see you messed up the difficulty curve.

To be fair even the beautiful Xenon II is very severely unbalanced at the higher levels, I believe I made it past level 3 (or maybe mid level 4) only on occasion on the Genesis version (at 50Hz), the Amiga version is even more punishing (at least it is when played on a CD32), I admit I've never played the ST version. I tried the CDTV version and obviously the CD soundtrack is phenomenal .... something we can't really say for TmF.

• Like 2

Yeah, not only do I recall Microprose being 'officialy' signed on as a developer, but Sierra and a mess of other companies also. I've seen press releases and lists from FAQ's that listed something like 60 companies signed on. Of course, just cause a company was signed on didn't mean they were under any obligation to produce anything.

• Like 3

@Schmudde:As SoulBlazer has said, Atari's P.R department really ran with the updated lists of publishers who'd signed up to produce games for the Jaguar, as it was an easy means to try and convince the market and consumer alike, the Jaguar was a serious machine and had the essential software support etc.

However, as so many UK publishers/developers etc i've had email exchanges with have made clear, whilst there might well of been plans to convert various existing games to the Atari hardware (be it A8/7800/Lynx or Jaguar), as soon as it became clear the hardware was floundering in the market place or (for them) worse still titles they had invested time and money in producing for the Atari, had bombed at retail, all further plans were shelved there and then.

The various Lost Games lists that have cropped up over the years were what got me started, in terms of reaching out to those behind things like Conan, attempt to bring Magic Carpet to Jag CD etc etc...

What has not helped has been the fact the press claims have been taken at times at face value and passed off as fact and then footage taken from W.I.P versions from other formats, like the Saturn or 3DO and plastered up on YouTube as proof Jaguar versions were in development.

Nor has the fact likes of Edge being happy to pass off concept art for a title who's formats had yet to even be decided, as Jaguar CD screens for an Atari paid for advertising supplement, despite knowing damn well screens were just mock-ups and publishers putting out screens of PC version of a planned Jaguar CD game, to be used as a preview by UK press, as these screens just again join the mix of proof game was started on Jaguar....that has cropped up over the years.

In these cases the hardware in question, be it PC, 3DO, Saturn etc had texture-mapping abilites beyond that of the Jaguar, so even if games had started on Jaguar, they'd not of looked as good, so it seemed an odd exercise to partake in....

On behalf of Unseen64, i've reached out to as many publishers/coders/artists etc as i can to try and sort the wheat from the chaff over lost Jaguar game claims and as i said earlier, after you hear that majority of claims held no water, publishers themselves had no idea where mags got the idea from, you stop looking as hard as you once might of.

Edited by Lost Dragon

• 5 weeks later...

Mcfur doesn't have a pause feature. So pausing to see what button to hit is not an option, I just coninualy hit a button and use up whatever random power weapon that comes up.

Beautiful game, way to hard, no music, no pause

Yes it does:

http://atariage.com/manual_page.php?SystemID=JAGUAR&SoftwareLabelID=1125&maxPages=16&currentPage=4

I kind of liked it, but it was more 'being the only scrolling space shooter' than 'being a good scrolling space shooter'. Had there been competition, it would have probably sucked. The graphics (while individually pretty) are a bit wonky. The controlls try to much, in a game type where you should easily be able to switch easy, you constantly gotta feel your way around trial and error, getting the wrong powerups to often. And minus any type of music? Makes the long boring stretches, well, long and boring. You go through the game almost in a trance, cause it's over all easy, and then get destroyed by the boss guy. Some people like that type of game I don't really. If your going to have a super hard section, at least have a moderately hard rest of the game.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the biggest thing wrong with it is that it isn't a bullet hell shooter but rather a bullet heck shooter. There really isn't that much action on screen even in maximized situations, while the sprites are bigger than any 8-bit system could render it still reminds me of 8-bit shmups in the degree of screen action.

I really hate big foreground elements, every single game that has done this has been annoying, it may aid the depth some but it blocks gameplay. Too bad they couldn't get the background moving since that is the place for parallax.

The graphics are very 90s, it's true about the decade that it would constantly tell you it was the 90s in all media like you couldn't read a calendar. :lol: It does have good visuals in places but it is undermined by some bland CGI models despite good ones, random rainbow color splashes, and Photoshop splash screens, they literally just put cat head photos on human bodies.

It really isn't a bad game just a meh game, in a genre where developers try to trump each other this was a dull entry. I'm just glad the Jag got Raiden and that Xenon2 port looks excellent. :)