IGNORED

Shady selling practices on eBay (or elsewhere) that bother you

Lately it has really bothered me when I buy games that say "complete" or "includes game and manual" to find that they are:

-Missing the manual

-Missing the rear case insert art (esp saturn, sega cd games)

I am pretty much down to only trusting pictures at this point, not descriptions, and if I don't see it in the picture I assume its missing.

What misleading/shady seller practices piss you off?

Oh boy, could write a book on the topic. :lol:

Here's just a few I've run into lately:

Horrible pictures. Not even talking about the lazy ones where people don't know how to get the orientation right, but rather, the angle of the shot purposely obscures or omits defects. Or blurry cell phone pics. You wouldn't know it's 2016 judging by all the crappy photos out there.

Horrible communication. Half the time, you don't know if you're dealing with a child texting on a cell phone or if the persons native language is English anymore. And you know more than 90% of the time, it is - just that they're complete idiots.

Ads that rely solely on eBay's description and NOTHING stating anything about the particular item you're looking at. Or short on descriptions but have pages and pages worth of worthless generic info, such as return policies, hours of operation, payment info, "customer service", etc.

I don't know about you, but I base some of my purchasing decisions on where an item is coming from. If I need something relatively quick, or it's fragile and would rather NOT risk the chance of damage because it came all the way from California or wherever. But then shipping still takes way too long and you find that the seller is really based elsewhere and/or decided to post your item from a far away location. Happened to me the other day... bought a CD from a location that said was only an hour and a half away from me. Paid a few dollars extra on eBay vs. Amazon because I wanted this particular CD for the weekend. Made the purchase on a Wednesday afternoon, expecting it to arrive by Friday/Saturday at the latest, but the item wasn't shipped until the following Monday or Tuesday and was sent all the way from Florida!! WTF?! :mad:

• Like 3

Boxed games shipped in bubble mailers, like what happened to my Spike for the Vectrex. Also, sellers claiming something is complete when it isn't. Minor papers are one thing, but the plastic tray that provides structure and support for the box so it doesn't get crushed and so the cartridge stays put is part of a complete Vectrex game. Seller also got bonus points for arguing with me over it all.

Beefed shipping.

Stock photos or no photos.

Stock photos drive me nuts. I've been burnt on that before. But what REALLY irritates me is when a guy is running an auction, using a photo that I have taken of something that currently own. I asked the guy to remove it, he just ignored me and continued to use it until the auctions end. It's because of people like him I have to put my screen name on all my photos.

Also...

blurry photos, photos that don't show all sides of an item, 'untested' or 'as-is' items listed at the high end of the price spectrum, and shipping that is more than the bloody items worth.

Chinese sellers who put item location as USA but ships from China so it'd show up in USA only search.

Chinese sellers who takes advantage of dirt cheap shipping knowing that if buyer complained (defective, wrong color, etc), eBay would require the buyer to ship it back for refund and shipping with tracking to China is often more than the item's worth. If the buyer doesn't ship back and leaves a neg, the seller can get it removed on the ground the buyer never completed his end of the claim.

"MINT" means anything from truly mint to something that was a dog's chew toy.

No mention of smoke smell or cat piss smell. As if the seller doesn't have a nose and assumes mint looking game smells mint too.

Seller who knowingly sells repro as authentic original and tries to hide anything that may suggest it is repro like that Australian seller who ripped off the corner of label to remove Hozer logo and made it appear authentic with damaged label, or that Air Raid cart made out of 25 cents worth of blue PVC pipes.

Sellers who won't combine shipping. I see for example 3 separate listing of games I want and they all are $1 but has $10 shipping. If I buy all 3, I'd end up paying $30 shipping and it'd probably come in first class mail worth $3 $10 might have been bearable if he had a desireable game but if I wanted more than one, it's often cheaper to look for different sellers.

Seller who can't tell what they are selling. "I got a package of 500 sheet of copy paper, I don't know if it works or what they are used for but it looks mint and sealed to me" As if Google is hard or expensive to use.

Seller who list an item for way past ridiculous price (like ludicrous price!) like that $10,000 EotB just to show off he has something quite rare and never planned on actually selling it.

Seller who list items without removing Goodwill or Salvation Army price tag. I will refuse to buy a $100 Sword Quest: Water World because it has picture of the cart with a 99 cents tag. Only to spite lazy sellers.

Buyers who made very lowball offer of your item because "it's not worth much" but if you check the buyer he is also seller and has the SAME ITEM you're selling for a very high price, a clear obvious flipper trying to sucker you in for a cheap deal. A certain seller comes to my mind on eBay and I don't buy from him mainly because he made it hard for true player and collector to actually get good deals.

Edited by 7800fan
  • Like 5

Buyers who made very lowball offer of your item because "it's not worth much" but if you check the buyer he is also seller and has the SAME ITEM you're selling for a very high price, a clear obvious flipper trying to sucker you in for a cheap deal. A certain seller comes to my mind on eBay and I don't buy from him mainly because he made it hard for true player and collector to actually get good deals.

I'd like to see that store! Got a link?

"MINT" means anything from truly mint to something that was a dog's chew toy.

No mention of smoke smell or cat piss smell. As if the seller doesn't have a nose and assumes mint looking game smells mint too.

I've run into those two a lot lately. "NEW" can also mean "used but in sort-of OK condition other than the foul smell and being crushed and torn."

I've taken to just negging sellers who are such blatant liars, if the price wasn't very high. It makes them pissed, but that's the point.

It's been said here, but what annoys me most is BAD PICTURES :mad: :mad: . Stock photos are basically lies if it isn't explicitly stated, and only having one photo in your listing of an item taken from the best angle is unacceptable. Sometimes the stock photo is of the item sealed to look cool in a search, but is really cartridge/disk only. The thing about eBay is that as much as we all hate it, it's one of the only places to get many gaming items at a fair price, so no matter what we still have to live with it... In fact I bought something there today :/.

Lately shipping has been pissing me off. See an item at a decent price only to see a $30+ "STANDARD" shipping charge. You know damn well they can ship "PRIORITY" for half what they are charging. I have been reporting them as "search and browse manipulation". They don't have "shipping extortion" anymore as ebay could hive a shit less now that they charge fees on shipping.

Not sure if it will get me anywhere, but I list it as misleading price to make you think item is cheaper than it is. I as well will not buy most items w/out a real picture. I will buy new items with a stock picture or parts and stuff but that's about it.

Chinese sellers who put item location as USA but ships from China so it'd show up in USA only search.

An example of this POed me recently. I saw a Star Wars T-shirt I liked. There were several sellers that were quite cheap, but based in China. One seller, however, said his shirt was located in Etobicoke, Ontario, and claimed, "We are based in Canada". He was $5 bucks more than the others, but I figured it would be worth paying an extra $5 to save all the shipping time.

Foolishly I didn't think to question the location because, well, he siad it was located here in Canada. Sure enough, a couple of weeks go by after payment, and no shirt. I then looked at his feedback comments. Although his feedback was good, I saw a few comments that shipment took a long time.... When I questioned him on it, he admitted that "our stock ran out so we had to ship it from China". Yeah, right, sure you stock items in Canada.

It took more almost SIX WEEKS to arrive from China. I gave the seller a neutral feedback, and a comment to beware that shipment is from China, not Canada as stated in the auction.

Sellers who won't combine shipping. I see for example 3 separate listing of games I want and they all are $1 but has $10 shipping. If I buy all 3, I'd end up paying $30 shipping and it'd probably come in first class mail worth $3 $10 might have been bearable if he had a desireable game but if I wanted more than one, it's often cheaper to look for different sellers.

That drives me crazy too. I once made a seller ship each of my items separately since he wouldn't combine shipping.

• Like 2

I've been back in the eBay game a bit lately and it really does seem like the people on there selling are getting even dumber than before. My three horror stories thus far:

1) I bought an Xbox 360 wireless fishing rod. The seller sends it to me and not only is it filthy, but it's for PS3. So they're making me return it to get my money back. It's kind of a joke, if I blatantly lied and somehow tested a PS3 controller on a 360, I'd tell the person to keep the thing just to avoid the neg since it was so blatantly my error. Since I bought this "tested" 360 rod, I bought the fishing game that uses it (which goes for about 10 times all other fishing games go for), so I was stuck with that.

2) I bought Scrapyard Dog new & sealed... with no plastic wrap. Given I was gonna unwrap it anyways, I let it slide because of the prospect of having to send the fucking thing back.

3) I bought a Cosmic Chasm Vectrex overlay which had a chip in the top left corner, so obviously the seller never took a pic of his own overlay. Again, I just kept it because I didn't want to worry about sending it back.

I've had mainly ups with eBay aside from two downs, but these 3 in such a short time take the cake. It all just goes to show why I love emulation. Tracking down archaic working shit is nonsense and a chore at the best of times, then you have to deal with the liars. The fishing rod was the last hurrah as it was kind of expensive. I did manage to find another one on there ultra sick cheap, so hopefully it works and I'm done with the nonsense. I've got a handful of vectrex overlays I wouldn't mind picking up, and I'd take a couple more if I could get a deal, but other than that, screw eBay.

Okay I've got another one.

Buying something "new and sealed" that has been re-wrapped in cellophane!

I bought a "new and sealed" winter games for 7800 and there was a friggin xenophobe cart in there. Are you kidding me?

Resealing something does not make it new again. It's like a born again Christian saying they recaimed their virginity...lol

Yeah the combined shipping thing is dumb. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281932582322?euid=e6d64621d5f7419a9090fdb22ee22808&cp=1

I contacted seller a few days ago and offered them $24 for all 3, this was the reply.

"We are firm on the price at this time. They are all in similar condition

Thanks"

Seriously wtf is wrong with people $9.79 shipped for 1 or $29.37 for all three. You figure min. first class is $2.60 plus price of packing so say $3. It would cost them $9 to ship all 3 separate. You can now ship first class up to 15oz and I just sent 3 snes games 14oz package for $3.55 even $3.60 for 15oz, figure $4 to ship all 3. That would save $5 on shipping. So they would rather ship 3 packages instead of one for $.37

It kind of irritated me.