IGNORED

Most accurate port of DOOM on a console?

KWKBOX

My favorite is the Jaguar version, it's the best looking and smoothest one. Under that, I actually like the GBA version, despite the controller not really being up to the task, it's a solid game, and I love it.

Most accurate though, would go to the modern console DL versions or the bonus game on Doom 3for Xbox, which are basically the computer version ported to new consoles and suffer the least loss in the process.

Doom is one of those games I got for damn near everything I could, from SNES on up (never found a Saturn one though) I just love it.

Not really a fan of this game in general, but there's a PSP homebrew called Doom Legacy which is supposed to be pretty solid. I've also heard good things about the Playstation and especially the Nintendo 64 versions of the game.

I guess the 3DO version of Doom is considered the worst. I haven't seen it in action but it's kind of sad they dropped the ball on a system that should have been able to handle it. The Game Boy Advance version... was a valiant attempt, but MAN is the resolution coarse.

Wait, the JPN version of Doom on Saturn is supposed to be better than the US one?

The 3DO version is the worst.

Check out the other versions here.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0Lgb90RBvTfttGAp6mQONBsAf9bT-Gwo

Thanks for the link. I liked watching your vids. I ended up watching most of them with the SNES version toward the end. I was super impressed with how accurate it was compared to the other ports. It was really cool to see the differences in all of them.

The 3DO version is a shame, when you compare with the Wolfeinstein 3D port, that use the same engine, and run smoothly and in ful screen :

The 3DO was way more than capable to run Doom with max graphical options and even enhancements over the original PC version.

Edited by CatPix

Thanks for the link. I liked watching your vids. I ended up watching most of them with the SNES version toward the end. I was super impressed with how accurate it was compared to the other ports. It was really cool to see the differences in all of them.

Glad to hear you enjoyed them. I agree it is funny how the least powerful system the SNES was the most accurate out of all the ports compared to the PC.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a special love for the Jaguar version, cause that is where I first experienced Doom. I played the crap out of that version, and loved it to death. Yes, there is no music, which is kinda crazy, but it just made it that much more atmospheric.

The true best version of Doom 1 is PS1 though. The Light sourcing and color in the PS1 version take things to a whole new level.. Plus background music now. Maybe the Jag version plays slightly better, but the music and also having the amazing light sourcing gives the title to PS1. One of the worst versions of Doom is Doom 64 on Nintendo 64. It might be a great game if you could freaking see anything. It's way too dark, and if you turn the brightness way up, then it looks crappy.

[Wolfenstein on 3DO is amazing, so it's a true tragedy that the Doom version is so awful]

Edited by Kid Chameleon

• 4 months later...

LOL.. Whoever compiled that list pretty much wasted their time. The XBOX and 360 versions pretty much *ARE* the computer versions of the game, haha.

I'd hardly call that a waste of time since the purpose of that table (and all other tables on that page) is a thorough comparison of the ports' mapsets. The tables complement what the rest of that page covers, which you seem to have overlooked.

A breakdown on PS1 Doom/Final Doom:

I highly recommend using doomwiki.org (http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sony_Playstation) and not the wikia site. Goes into a rather long explanation, but the .org site is much more accurate and reliable with its information and is maintained by members of the active Doom communities.

Though it wasn't a retail release, Chocolate Doom for the Nintendo Wii is an absolutely flawless way to run the original DOS versions of The Ultimate Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom on the Wii. I'd put it above the Xbox and 360 versions just for the inclusion of Final Doom and 100% original PC game accuracy. Again though, Chocolate Doom was a fan made project and not a retail release and it is worth noting that you'll need to have the Homebrew Channel installed and jump through a couple small hoops to get it set up. The Wii Classic Controller is required to play it as well.

As far as official releases go, I have to admit that even though they're not the most accurate ports around the Game Boy Advance versions of Doom and Doom II are still my favorite console versions of Doom. I've just never been able to get over how cool it is to be able to have Doom in your pocket to play on the go, and they both look and play pretty darn good on the backlit GBA SP.

Edited by Jin

Though 3DO Doom was shit, I think we all can agree that it had the most rocking soundtrack.

Jaguar Doom was nice but lacked music.

Doom 64 was fun and I liked the darkest of it. It made me play the game in the dark so I could see what was going on and that made it more scary.

Playstation Doom was the best.

• Like 1

There are three ports that comes to mind:

The Custom Playstation Doom version.

The Atari Jaguar version (developed in house by id and the source for many ports of the 90s and early 2000s)

And Finally The SNES version (almost identical level layout from the PC and the only version with dial-up deathmatch thanks to XBAND)

The 3DO version is a shame, when you compare with the Wolfeinstein 3D port, that use the same engine, and run smoothly and in ful screen :

The 3DO was way more than capable to run Doom with max graphical options and even enhancements over the original PC version.

I guess "smoothly" is subjective here. It runs and plays at a brisk pace, but the framerate can chop up severely on 3DO Wolfenstein 3D. Even then, at its normal rate, it sits somewhere between 15 and 20 frames per second. So, still not a good case for 3DO DOOM. But, I think it's obvious that if more time was given to the DOOM port, it would have been significantly better than what we got. How much better though? It would have been interesting to see, particularly in a capable developer's hands. Few FPS titles on the 3DO turned out smooth, unfortunately.

https://youtu.be/7EQlk27eAD4

Maybe I'm misreading what you posted, but Wolfenstein and Doom don't share any engines. Although it runs better than 3DO Doom, it still slows down noticeably. It's most likely for the same reason why Doom runs atrociously on the system: very inefficient rendering engine. The blame for 3DO Doom is on Art Data Interactive's ignorance, which resulted in it being crazy rushed. Rebecca Heineman was given 10 weeks to get the port ready by herself, figuring everything on her own after she found out the company actually knew nothing about the game. Edited by mgman