IGNORED

PRGE - Portland Retro Gaming Expo - Oct 22,23 2016

Rev

Guest LiqMat

Modern "Arcades" are a much cooler affair than the game rooms of my youth. I recall that most arcades in the 1980s were either pizzerias, bars; or if they were dedicated franchises: smokey, crowded, smelly, and noisy rooms packed with all sorts of dirty and sticky cabinets, and with little room to move.

I've seen pictures of the modern ones, and they look like idealized versions of what we remember. The closest thing I've seen recently is the game room at my local bowling alley (which is mostly filled with those midway things designed to steal your money in exchange for "tickets"), or Disney Quest at the Disney Village.

I remember the first time I went to Disney Quest in the late 1990s (or early 2000s), before "modern arcades" were a thing. I thought I had died and woke up in heaven: there were three levels of game cabinets, all original, grouped by era; from the most recent modern stuff (including some cheesy "futuristic" VR crap), to the very early classic games we all grew up with -- ALL FOR FREE PLAY! OMG! :o I was ecstatic! I hadn't seen such a thing for over 15 years -- and even back then I had to spent whatever quarters I could scrape from between the cushions of the sofa.

I spent the entire day in that place, and my parents, sister, and even wife, were already bored and ready to go while I was still playing. They went out shopping and left me there by myself.

I know that now these places are "hip" and "trendy" and all that, but I really don't care about the atmosphere. I just want to play the games. :)

-dZ.

Unfortunately Disney is closing Disney Quest for good this year. It will become some NBA experience sports attraction. When I first went there years ago my wife and I got super motion sickness after riding on that Aladdin Magic Carpet VR simulator. Never have I felt so bad. VR helmet + motion simulator bike = vomitous.

When my family went to WDW in Sept '13 Disney Quest was a disappointment. Many of the older games were in various states of disrepair that rendered them essentially unplayable. This included games like Tron that you'd think Disney would have a vested interest in presenting well. We had fun with the newer games, the VR experiences, and the interactive multiplayer games, but not the classics. From what I've read Disney eventually recognized this, evaluated the cost to upgrade & repair the machines, and decided they were better off tearing it down and building something else.

...I didn't actually know people put blacklights in these things. I was kinda just making an early 90s rave club joke with that one. I see we're from similar backgrounds, nurmix :P

A few more pix. The combination of black lights and "reactive" carpet just looks so cool - authentic or not. I also have color cycling LEDs in the wall vents - and an LED-illuminated disco/mirror ball (among other things). It's only a 12' x 11' space, but I've tried to make the best of it.

086e3d33507797ee4ea69fcc01d3b918.jpg

f31c562004eb03c60905458332164495.jpg

13565776dd1059943fca6797ef62b3af.jpg

And of course, there's a console section (a 5200 has been added since this picture was taken)...

bd4dd6879d968695144743cd235fbb6d.jpg

Sent from my Intellivision ECS using Intelli-Tapatalk

Edited by nurmix
  • Like 5

A few more pix. The combination of black lights and "reactive" carpet just looks so cool - authentic or not. I also have color cycling LEDs in the wall vents - and an LED-illuminated disco/mirror ball (among other things). It's only a 12' x 11' space, but I've tried to make the best of it.

And of course, there's a console section (a 5200 has been added since this picture was taken)...

Ugh. If it doesn't have a penny farthing then it ain't sh!t. :)

• Like 1

I absolutely F%^king love the lights and the mirror ball. Your room rocks dude!

Edited by Yurkie
  • Like 1

My trip is booked for PRGE and my best friend Steve is going with me. He is one game shy of the 125, Spiker! of course! ;-)

And, I was fortunate enough to go to Nurmix great home Arcade a couple years back, It is very cool!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just checked the Exhibitor list on the PRGE website This is a list of people I recognize, any others?

•Blah Blah Woof Woof Games
•Charles Dysert
•Groovy Bee
•Intellivision Revolution
•Naber Hood Games
•The Intellivisionaries Podcast
•Y-Bot Classic Games

• Like 2

Just checked the Exhibitor list on the PRGE website This is a list of people I recognize, any others?

Blah Blah Woof Woof Games

Charles Dysert

Groovy Bee

Intellivision Revolution

Naber Hood Games

The Intellivisionaries Podcast

Y-Bot Classic Games

I know of one more. But I can't say.

How could I miss CollectorVision. That is how y-bot was spelled on the PRGE site. I just copied and pasted.

•Blah Blah Woof Woof Games

•Charles Dysert
•ColectorVision
•Groovy Bee
•Intellivision Revolution
•Naber Hood Games
•The Intellivisionaries Podcast
•Y-Bot Classic Games

How could I miss CollectorVision. That is how y-bot was spelled on the PRGE site. I just copied and pasted.

Blah Blah Woof Woof Games

Charles Dysert

ColectorVision

Groovy Bee

Intellivision Revolution

Naber Hood Games

The Intellivisionaries Podcast

Y-Bot Classic Games

We're going to need a big reservation at Voodoo donuts. :)

• Like 1

If you have time get a dozen of these made to order mini cinnamon donuts with various toppings. This place is dangerous.

https://www.facebook.com/PipsOriginal/

Well I sure as hell want to now. :) I happened to click on their job posting link and saw what had to be one of the best job descriptions/sales pitches on why to work there. Very cool sounding place.