IGNORED

What do you guys think of this idea? (Nano replacement concept)

Omega-TI

The internal power supply in the TI console takes up some room, but is it still really needed? Is there a smaller more modern external power supply we could easily purchase as a replacement? If so...

Would it be feasible to design a new Nano-PEB replacement, or SD card based storage unit to fit in the area of the power supply? If so, it would require a slit be cut in the side of the TI to accommodate the easy removal/insertion of an SD card.

There is just something about having it all in the console that appeals to me, and there are people who do not have or don't want a full-sized P-Box. Just a +idea.

• Like 6

i would think given the success I have experienced with the OpenSource USB interface and the TI, it should be possible to do this along the same thinking.

may be possible to use current open source adruino boards that the firmware is easily upgradeable.

I know there are projects for other computers based on the open source boards for mass storage, memory and serial interfacing.

it may take a main board to be layed out for the others to plug into.

I was thinking even along the lines of a totally redesigned module PEB! pick the module and you just plug it in..

• Like 2

The tape input uses -5v.

As indeed does that rather important component known as "the processor". ;-)

There are multi-voltage power supplies around that are the size of a laptop power supply, and which give +5V and +12V, but I haven't seen one that does -5V as well. You could use a small +5V to -5V inverter board, but that is then something else that has to be added to the mix. You could still do away with the bulky TI transformer though.

Stuart.

acadiel, on 21 Feb 2016 - 8:43 PM, said:

I wonder if something like this would be beefy enough to supply the -5V, +5V and +12V the console needs. (See example on the left in the PDF).

We could replace both the TI transformer and the internal PSU with this.

Looks more than capable. The TI console with TI XB cartridge draws around the following current:

• +5V: 950mA
  • +12V: 330mA
  • -5V: Didn't measure it, but probably not more than a couple of milliamps.

Someone going to give it a go?

(Good find Acadiel)

Stuart.

Edited by Stuart

Greg and I were chatting about this yesterday, and I would love to be involved in such a project. I was thinking that there is a lot of space above the board inside a speech synthesizer, and that it would be a good place to add a board. The little door on top would be where you'd plug in a CF or SD card.

Does anyone know - would it be possible to get the detailed specs/gerbers/code of the NanoPEB so we can pick up from there? So much brilliant work was done for the NanoPEB and it would be a perfect place to start from. I want to add, in addition to 32K ram and RS232 support, a micro controller to talk to a WiFi sub-board. I'd like to make a simple bridge that the TI would see as RSC2. That way programs like Stuart's browser could easily do networking.

All you'd need to get on the web then would be Stuart's browser on a cart and a modded speech synthesizer, which I think a lot of people have. They seem to be fairly inexpensive on eBay and readily available. It'd be a good DIY project, with boards and chips available on ArcadeShopper.

Just thinking/dreaming out loud :)

What do you all think?

• Like 2

Yep, for a triple output power brick, that's about what you're going to pay. Only other real option is maybe a small PC power supply.

I will gladly pay it if and when such an SD storage device is ever made for the TI that screws & mounts into that location.

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced this could be THE item that brings a bunch of people into the TI. Why?

1) Lots of people are limited for space and do not have a lot of room for a massive amount of cords and connections.

2) Many people like "Plug-N-Play" like the F18A, it's internal and requires a little carving, but it's wildly popular.

A) A device like this could even have a serial port with a connection scheme similar to the F18A's

A serial port that I'm sure could be 100% TI compatible.

3) Of course wanting the best of both worlds on the SD card, it should emulate DSK1-4 plus a hard drive environment.

4) Naturally 32K would be present.

Now if I had this, I'd probably want to get another F18A and then the wireless keyboard project as well for one TOTALLY MODERN, yet TOTALLY COMPATIBLE super duper UBER TI! Yes, this actually gets me excited like a kid in a candy store.

• Like 3

I like the price better, and this would probably work fine for a stationary system, but the system I'm planning is going to be portable. This supply is not all enclosed and electrically isolated like I'd prefer for power supply that will be taken to and fro.

I like the price better, and this would probably work fine for a stationary system, but the system I'm planning is going to be portable. This supply is not all enclosed and electrically isolated like I'd prefer for power supply that will be taken to and fro.

Shrug just mount it inside and wire up a standard power receptacle on the back like any computer

:)

Perhaps a longshot. I guess this idea is not new, but here goes anyway, with perspective very much from my end of the world.

I guess I could be interested in getting hold of a TI-99/4A. I'm emulation only right now. Development would probably still be emulation only, so the real TI would be for testing only. But then extensive testing can eat away hours.

Top priority for the TI would be easy access to update of cartridge ROM. Apart from 8K, 16K and probably 32K would be mandatory, - 64K probably also. 256K would be nice to have too. I don’t want to burn EPROMs myself, so I envision something with a SD-card and perhaps USB connectivity.

Second priority would be 32K Memory Expansion and easy access to disc drive. And this is not going to come in the form of the original PEB. I envision something like the CF7/nanopeb, but sadly the situation there as said is deteriorating, - otherwise, and again, something with SD-card and perhaps USB connectivity.

So what I would want is a “super cart” and a “super side-port expansion”. And they do not have to come in nice boxes. Exposed boards are fine.

You probably heard about the Raspberry Pi Zero. The $5 computer.

Now take a look at this project.

http://amigadrive.blogspot.it

Yes. I'm proposing having Raspberries sticking out of those two ports.

;)

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 1

It would be just fine to have floppy controller to connect Floppy emulator(or something else) and memory expansion on one board. This could be put in small box and connected to TI99/4a side port. This can be replacement for CF7/Nano PEB expansion.

I believe that a SCSI/floppy controller using FPGA and the SCSI2SD or similar, would be a great project and could be about the size of a speech synthesizer or NanoPEB/CF7+