IGNORED

Dean Garraghty - The Atari 8-bit News-Paper

snicklin

Hi everyone,

Whilst looking for something else, I came across 4 issues of a booklet/magazine called "The Atari 8-Bit News-Paper" from Dean Garraghty.

I was wondering if anyone else has scanned them? If not, I'll scan them and make them available. I believe that if memory serves me right, Dean came onto here and declared all his material Public Domain. Can anyone confirm this?

Dean also includes scans in this:

http://home.clara.net/dgs/pack.htm

Also the disk editions.

Now that I see that this site is still up, I am not really wanting to upload any scans of his newsletters as I do not want to break copyright.

But I'm sure I saw him say that he relinquished his copyright on the products, but I'm not sure where he did this...

Well, I've seen a telephone number in his magazine and so I've given it a ring to see if he still lives there and there was no answer but the number exists and went to an answerphone.

I've left a message for Dean and given my number and asked for a call back. I'd rather seek permission before just uploading.

• 2 weeks later...

I really should have signed up for this forum before, it would have been easier!

Yeah, the magazines are still in copyright and are still available as PDF scans and are included in the ZIP file software pack that I still sell. The original printing plates for the mags were just paper pasted on board and most were missing, as were the original files for the articles. I ended up having to scan from actual copies of the mags.

The pack (also including most of the software that I have the rights to) is available for US$7 (sent electronically via WeTransfer) from: http://www.dgs.clara.net/(payments by card via PayPal).

• Like 1

I really should have signed up for this forum before, it would have been easier!

Yeah, the magazines are still in copyright and are still available as PDF scans and are included in the ZIP file software pack that I still sell. The original printing plates for the mags were just paper pasted on board and most were missing, as were the original files for the articles. I ended up having to scan from actual copies of the mags.

The pack (also including most of the software that I have the rights to) is available for US$7 (sent electronically via WeTransfer) from: http://www.dgs.clara.net/(payments by card via PayPal).

Welcome Dean!

I have this set from when DGS was selling these on CD and I can recommend it for sure.

Nice to see you Dean! I doubt you remember transferring the source code for The Last Word to ATRs for me at the back end of 2008, but this kick-started my return to the A8 scene. :) I hope you enjoy the forums.

Good to see you on here Dean.

On a different note, I was just wondering whether you were still "into" the Atari? Do you still use one for fun / nostalgia or has it all been packed away now?

Good to see you on here Dean.

On a different note, I was just wondering whether you were still "into" the Atari? Do you still use one for fun / nostalgia or has it all been packed away now?

I still have a 65XE, 130XE, 800XL, and 2 1050s, but I usually just use a PC emulator these days if I want to do anything. The Atari emulator for the GP2X handheld is also great for playing the old games.

Nice to see you Dean! I doubt you remember transferring the source code for The Last Word to ATRs for me at the back end of 2008, but this kick-started my return to the A8 scene. :) I hope you enjoy the forums.

Vaguely!

• 1 year later...

Just a quick note here. It seems that the PayPal code I had on my site to order the Atari software pack was no longer working, and some people had problems. It seems PayPal had stopped supporting the old style code, so I have changed it to the new style and it now works.

While doing that I also decided to create a new PDF document containing all the information for the pack, along with new screenshots, which replaces the original HTML info pages which were old and frankly looked awful! It's available for viewing/download via the 'Software Pack' page at my website: http://www.dgs.clara.net/

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings Dean what you doing in Scotland, I thought you were based in Doncaster (UK)?

you may or may not remember me, but I created your PD 191 ASI V1.5AM+!

Mostly getting blown about in the constant wind here in the northern isles! Had an opportunity to work from home about 10 years back, so moved up here to try something different.

• 2 months later...

Just digging this old thread up again to mention that I've now created a pack containing all the back issues of the old DGS News-Disks, News-Papers, and News-Paper on Disk (26 issues in total across all three formats). These used to be only available as part of the full DGS software pack, but I've put a separate pack together for anyone who's just wanting the magazines. The whole lot costs just US$2 (they come as a ZIP file containing ATR files of the disks, and PDF files of the printed magazines). This offer is just for the forums, so it isn't mentioned specifically on my website. The direct link to the offer including more information and a PayPal ordering button is here:

http://www.dgs.clara.net/magspack.htm

• Like 2