IGNORED

Modifying a SEGA Genesis controller for use on Colecovision

atarianallstar

Hi,

I recently started to clean out a get everyting functional again on mu colecovision. So with the exeptance of Time pilot all my games work and are playable. But that controller ....aaargh...

So I saw this amazing video on how to mod a sega genesis pad to work on the colecovision. It is cool but I would like also to rewire the start button so that it acts as keypad one so I don't have to do the old switcharoo with the original gamepad. I've seen people sell this mod on ebay but I can't seem to find any schematics online how to make this mod.

Anybody got a link or explanation?

Greetings,

Thomas

Link to the video I mentioned above:

Could you explain a little more? I can solder but my knowledge of electronics is non existant. I just follow plans or videos :)

The youtube video you linked above explains the process step by step. You should follow the video and make the controller. After you have done that and made sure the controller works, then you can make changes or add features, or do whatever you want. It's important to do what you know works first, before you make changes or add new features.

You should study the schematic someone linked above. Its a pretty simple schematic, so learning the basics of schematics won't be difficult.

Edited by Hannacek

Do you know if this mod allows for both Coleco buttons Left and Right to be used as independent buttons and can both be pressed at the same time? Games like Cosmic Avenger, use one button to fire and one button to bomb. On the original controller you can use both buttons at the same time and both a bomb and missile will fire off. On some modded controllers I could use one or the other but not both at the same time.

Cosmic Avenger

Nova Blast

Ninja Princess (This one actually has a third button feature when you press both buttons, she uses ninja magic to disappear)

I am sure there are a few others where the buttons are unique but those are the ones I can think of.,

In any case it looks like a much cleaner mod then the ones I do for my Genesis 3 button pads, on mine I like to map the Right button to the B Genesis button and the Left Button for the A and C buttons, so I can choose anytime on which button is the left or right based on where I put my fingers. It drives me nuts that Cosmic Avenger has the buttons reversed to me on an original controller so this mod I use is a godsend.

Add D29 and D30 in there.

Do you have any 1N4148?

Do you have a DMM to see if button "C" is isolated from button "B"?

Great resource for building CV controllers

http://web.archive.org/web/20060317144925/http://users.erols.com/tiltonj/games/tech/cvcont.html

Ideally I would make:

A button = left fire

B button = right fire

C button = Keypad 1

Start button = * (pause for many games)

However you would need to cut traces differently than what you did in order to do this.

I had to play with the diodes and isolate the traces.. I don't have the controllers here with me but they are at my work. I will try to go in tomorrow or Thursday and I will try to take a picture or make a diagram of it.

I will be sure to post here any findings. I have made a few of these controllers and I really like them but you would think I would have made a tutorial like a good engineer? Shame on me, I guess I better rectify that for the greater good.. haha

I would really like to develop a simple PCB that has all of the traces and diodes installed and all someone would have to do is drop it into a genesis controller. Of course they may have to solder on the wiring but there would be a header for that.

If anyone here has any experience on building a custom board I would love to work with you or try it out on my own as I have never made a custom board before but have always wanted to.

I would really like to develop a simple PCB that has all of the traces and diodes installed and all someone would have to do is drop it into a genesis controller. Of course they may have to solder on the wiring but there would be a header for that.

If anyone here has any experience on building a custom board I would love to work with you or try it out on my own as I have never made a custom board before but have always wanted to.

adding 2-5 1N4148 diodes costs less than 50 cents, so making a pcb might not be worth it if the person can solder.

I highly recommend that you not unplugging controllers unless the system is turned off and power supply unplugged. It is very common for controller chips (octal buffer) to fail.

Although I am not a fan of using other controllers, if you do the best bet is to use a "y" adapter so the original and alternate controller can be both plugged in at the same time. Or like I said above. Turn off the power and unplug the power supply, before swapping controllers.

• Like 1

I had been listen to this video above. He does not explain what is the EXACTLY name of very specific diodes ! All I see there are TWO diodes on the YouTube video. Andy any 1 small wire ? Yes, I see there are orange wire. So just ANY wire to choose and solder it onto the board ?

Hello grips03, I see there are 2 diodes in video. You said, add 2 to 5 diodes ?? In the video, there are just 2 of them. So the same 2 diodes are "IN4148" model ? Is that right ? Easy to find at Radio Shack , right ?

Edited by Caterpiggle

I had been listen to this video above. He does not explain what is the EXACTLY name of very specific diodes ! All I see there are TWO diodes on the YouTube video. Andy any 1 small wire ? Yes, I see there are orange wire. So just ANY wire to choose and solder it onto the board ?

Hello grips03, I see there are 2 diodes in video. You said, add 2 to 5 diodes ?? In the video, there are just 2 of them. So the same 2 diodes are "IN4148" model ? Is that right ? Easy to find at Radio Shack , right ?

Person in the video names the wrong type of diode. Just use a small signal diode like 1N4148. Buy them at Digikey, Mouser or Newark.

Depending on what your doing you add diodes. Look at post 2 in the thread.

The problem, I would never able to understand any schematic ! I am not electronic guy. What I need is , know which one 2 or 5 diodes ? Full name is "IN4148". Orange wire in YouTube , is JUST ANY wire to add at the front green board ? I will try to forward the post 2 to my friend if he understand the schematic for my Sega Genesis Controller.

I don't have an estimated time, that depends on your experience at soldering and what mod you're trying to do.. lot's of variables there. :-)

I haven't done the genesis controller mod yet since I have better controller options. It usually takes me a few hours but I tend to get OCD about certain things. Your mileage may vary..

Check those videos posted above and i highly recommend EEVblog's Soldering Tutorial series on YouTube if you're new at soldering.

Good luck

Edited by SiLic0ne t0aD85

Can you tell me what is the average time for average electric guy who can modified Sega Genesis Controller ? 1 hour at the most ?

Hour at the most if you know what your doing and know what you want.

i.e. if you want 4 action buttons, or if you want:

Map start button to *

Map button C to keypad 1

Map button A is left action button

Map button B is right action button

That will determine what has to be wired and how many diodes are needed.

In my opinion wiring like in the video is a poor choice except if you play Boulder Dash game only and don't want to use both fire buttons at the same time, which is not ideal.

Hello Grips03,

Do you have an updated YouTube for the above that you describes it

Map start button to *

Map button C to keypad 1

Map button A is left action button

Map button B is right action button

The currently YouTube Video is wrong made ? So the currently video will not work on Boulder Dash on ADAM ? Yes, I do want to use all 4 buttons on Sega Genesis Controller :-D