Modifying a SEGA Genesis controller for use on Colecovision

atarianallstar

Hello Grips03,

Do you have an updated YouTube for the above that you describes it

Map start button to *

Map button C to keypad 1

Map button A is left action button

Map button B is right action button

The currently YouTube Video is wrong made ? So the currently video will not work on Boulder Dash on ADAM ? Yes, I do want to use all 4 buttons on Sega Genesis Controller :-D

I don't make videos. For BD looks like you would want # vs. *. That is too bad the game is programmed that way because * is pause for many games. Opcode games to mind.

If you read through the posts you will see that left action button and right action can not be used at the same time due to D29 and D30 missing (in the video). So perhaps it works for BD just fine, but not other games, such as Cosmic Avenger.

HELLO TO YOU ALL,

Please let me know any one of you had been successfully an completed modified your Sega Genesis Controller and finally works on like Cosmic Avenger ?

Hello Grips03, what is "BD" stand for ? I know it is name of game.

Mine works as it should in cosmic avenger and I modded it the same as it's shown in the videos.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure if it is cost 0.008 cent per diode ? or Extended $82 per diode ? Here is the web site : http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/1N4148FSTR-ND/1N4148FSTR-ND/458811

When I add just 2 diodes and the final price still $0.00 ? Not make sense ?

$82 for 10,000... nearly a penny per diode.

eBay is the best place to buy electronics if you only need small quantities. Digikey and other sites usually charge a lot for shipping, or have minimum amounts you need to order. If you order from China, stuff is really cheap, but you have to wait weeks or months. If you order from a US eBay seller, it will be more expensive, but you get it in days.

• Like 1

+1 eBay. If you don't want to wait 4-6 weeks, make sure you tick "USA only" or whatever your country is. But if you don't mind waiting a while, China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan are dirt cheap. For simple components like diode, it's so simple in design it's hard to screw up even if they try to counterfeit it.

Also if you still have a Radio Shack open somewhere nearby, try them. They may not be cheap but usually they have basic diodes in stock, something like 10 pack for $2

Electronic part stores used to be common around back in 80s and 90s, I got a fair number of parts. Then Al Gore "invented" internet and everything became cheaper to order online so many of the electronic stores folded or switched to something else.

• 4 months later...

You CAN use a 7800 Joypad/stick with the Colecovision, WITH ONE CAVEAT: You can't press both buttons at the same time. So Tutankham will not let you do Smart Bombs, Space Fury you can't shoot and thrust simultaneously. But if you don't need both buttons pressed at the same time, a 7800 controller is an acceptable substitution. Hooking Coleco controls to a 7800 doesn't do anything right with the fire. Also a Coleco Super Action Controller has both roller directions mapped to 2 separate buttons on a Genesis. If it's reversible, a Genesis controller maps to one CV button and the roller pad.

• 2 years later...

I modded one last night - controller had a different board, smaller and fiddlier, but I mapped it all out, checked it over.. no dice. Checked the video, checked the info linked above, checked what is done, still no dice.

Was about to give up when I realised that the numbers printed on the board next to the wires did not correlate to the pin it was connected to. Quick rewire, and got a personal best on DK first try. Like a different game, brilliant!

I only did the stage 1 of the mod, next week I'll alter to to include a 1 and a # or *. Might fit a flip switch to the A so it can be a # or *... or I might look for one of the Competition Pro pads with rapid fire buttons that could be utilised.. we'll see. I'm just chuffed to have a workable controller.

I modded one last night - controller had a different board, smaller and fiddlier, but I mapped it all out, checked it over.. no dice. Checked the video, checked the info linked above, checked what is done, still no dice.

Was about to give up when I realised that the numbers printed on the board next to the wires did not correlate to the pin it was connected to. Quick rewire, and got a personal best on DK first try. Like a different game, brilliant!

I only did the stage 1 of the mod, next week I'll alter to to include a 1 and a # or *. Might fit a flip switch to the A so it can be a # or *... or I might look for one of the Competition Pro pads with rapid fire buttons that could be utilised.. we'll see. I'm just chuffed to have a workable controller.

I was just thinking after reading this that neither of my 3 button controllers looked like the one in the video. Everything was smaller, with a multi wire plug on the back of the board for the wires from the cord. You were able to make it work? I didn't think these wouldbe a candidate because of how small the components on the board were.

I was just thinking after reading this that neither of my 3 button controllers looked like the one in the video. Everything was smaller, with a multi wire plug on the back of the board for the wires from the cord. You were able to make it work? I didn't think these wouldbe a candidate because of how small the components on the board were.

Yeah I was able to get it working, just far fiddlier, tiny contact points and had to plan which wire had to go in first as it was a pretty jumbled path and I'm not that great at soldering tbh.

Was well worth the effort in the end though, and I've got boxes of Mega Drive controllers so didn't feel bad about cannibalizing it.

• 1 year later...