IGNORED

New 4MB RAM expansion

Simius

Is there any advantage to the U1M over this, or has that upgrade been superceeded by this one? It seems better in every spec...but i could be missing something.

I see no mention of built-in SpartaDOS X, RTC, on-board PBI hard disk controller, or XEX loader, all of which are present in Ultimate 1MB. On the other hand, this upgrade has four times the RAM, a 65C816 CPU, and twice as many operating system slots. So the two upgrades seem very different from one another.

ok... than it's me just wondering what to do with such hardware... VBXE ok... similar question... but even not using the advanced blitter etc features... the CRT support is worth alone... plus extended RAM.

my 320XE... same here... RAM expansion... next my turbo freezer.... yeah... as coder of course usefull even with it's cart emulation (I got SpartadosX preloaded). sometimes good to read manuals from time to time :D

my 8mbit flashcart preloaded with usefull carts...

sio2sd micro... nothing to say here....

now back to this expansion... except for the 4mb (again here... which software does really make full use of it? a 4mb Ramdisk for what?)

now to the 65816... I know the MAE native assembler and MADS support it luckily... but except for that? ah... ok... just read the specs again... it's only running in standard clockspeeds... 1,77/1,79... so don't see any usage of it? (fex. make old software faster etc)

don't get me wrong... I really love those modern hardware expansion which make my dreams come true (in terms of being plug n play, no self soldering etc). I still not get why I would need that?

Edited by Heaven/TQA

Its nice but would be great if it would have rtc and 8MB or 16MB the processor supports 16MB.

What I really miss would be a IDE controller mapped to the memory above the first 64KB , so only available for the 65c816 this way it could be used without conflicts with other hw upgrades.

Maybe a kind of feature connector in the memory space above the first 64KB would be ok, people can add there own hw extension onto that.

. . . I still not get why I would need that?

Here's why you need it:

Features: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WDC_65816/65802#Features

Instructions: http://www.smwiki.net/wiki/65c816_instructions

Now, let's be clear on one thing. The 816 starts up in "Emulation" mode. That simply means it starts in 8 bit mode. This has nothing to do with emulation such as Altirra, or emulating one family of processor with another. The 65816 is a 65 series processor, created by Bill Mensch (who was on the original MOS design team).

Bill Mensch: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Mensch

This processor is the direct descendant of the original 6502 with some enhancements. Code written for it will run faster even at the same clock speed as a 6502. It is only a matter of learning the new instructions and putting them to good use.

Bill Mensch ANTIC Podcast interview here: http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-96-bill-mensch-6502-chip

It seems that quite a few people want this. Also, the more software that is written for it, the faster it will sell. Who knows, in a few years, maybe the 816 will be the normal instead of the exception.

If the community as a whole would embrace the 816, we could open the door to a new age of games and demos that no Commie could touch. :)

• Like 5

It seems that quite a few people want this. Also, the more software that is written for it, the faster it will sell. Who knows, in a few years, maybe the 816 will be the normal instead of the exception.

If the community as a whole would embrace the 816, we could open the door to a new age of games and demos that no Commie could touch. :)

If it's games we're talking about, then I would suggest getting it to somehow work with the 5200. :)