IGNORED

New 4MB RAM expansion

Simius

I have a few problems with the version for 1200XL computer. I haven't such machine for tests, so I am not quite sure if the board working properly (MMU is different). Also I don't know, what about BASIC? PB1 signal is not present on the MMU. I can replace this signal in the CPLD internally, but then what with OS which does not support BASIC? If I change the OS to 800XL version, LEDs on the PB2 and PB3 ports will not work. The F1...F4 keys should work. I think so. In principle, the PCB for 1200XL should be special version, direct fit, without ribbon cable, but I don't have even a topography of the motherboard (eg. accurate distances between the CPU and MMU in X-Y coordinates), so inevitably we will have to use the 800XL version with riboon and additionaly DIL40 socket as a distance. I hope all will fit under the keyboard.

Edited by Simius

the list status is a little strange - i declared interest in this on firstpage of thread, and am listed as SEVENTH on Simius' update file. i also paid within 24hrs of Simius's reuest for ayment. Yet oddly, FIFTEEN units have been despatched, yet i'm not included in this.

not sour grapes, just strange that the list order and date of declaring interest mean nothing

moan over

so youre saying you pm'd more people than you had orders ready for?

surely if your first batch was for 15 then the first 15 people on list should be pm'd first ab\nd given opportunity to pay?

i paid you within 24hrs of you sending me the pm-i was seventh on list - exactly how did i miss out?

don't worry, i wontbe buying from you again if ths is how you prioritise supply. reallynot happy with this

There was some uncertainty about arrangements for the 1200XL... did you notice that? Perhaps Simius was holding back on those boards until that situation was clarified (note that none of the three 1200XL boards have gone out yet).

For what it's worth, I agree with Kyle: leave it to the user to bring the 1200XL up to 800XL spec when installing the board.

• Like 1

then perhaps the seller shouldn't be taking money where he's unable to meet demand.

if there are snags/issues, then the decent thing to do isto PM those affected, rather than rely on them seeing a single post that may disappear into a long thread.

the fact that he said nothing to me until imentioned this...despite being happy to accept payment within 24hrs of request - shows a disregard for the buyer.

furthermore, it's somehow now going to be shipped "tomorrow" which smacks more to me of the seller looking after his friends first - regardless of when they placed their order, and only dealing withthis because i complained - how much longer would i have had to wait had i not "moaned"?

won't be buying from this seller again

For what it's worth, I agree with Kyle: leave it to the user to bring the 1200XL up to 800XL spec when installing the board.

I'm fine with the 800XL version for the 1200XL as it gives more flexibility in what model I can use it in. What is involved bringing the 1200XL to 800XL specs?

I'm fine with the 800XL version for the 1200XL as it gives more flexibility in what model I can use it in. What is involved bringing the 1200XL to 800XL specs?

Have a look for Bob Wooley's PBI mod for the 1200XL: you just need the sections covering converting the machine to use a single-chip OS ROM, plus EXTSEL if you want to use the machine with VBXE, etc.

• Like 1

brenski, stop your whining! Simius and others that support software and hardware development for this community do it at their own pleasure. This is not an activity that is paying their mortgage or supporting their lavish lifestyles, but rather the love of the Atari and to share their talent. Much of the money collected is to cover parts ordered to complete the builds. So, Simius went out of order to fulfill some orders and did not tell you. I could careless if he fills them based on payment or otherwise because he does this at his own pleasure! And if there was a development hick up then based on past experiences refunds are as easy as the payment you made, so lighten up and be gratefully we have guys like Simius and many others producing these awesome software and hardware gems for us. Ok, now you can blast me and get off Simius! Mike

• Like 15

brenski, stop your whining! Simius and others that support software and hardware development for this community do it at their own pleasure. This is not an activity that is paying their mortgage or supporting their lavish lifestyles, but rather the love of the Atari and to share their talent. Much of the money collected is to cover parts ordered to complete the builds. So, Simius went out of order to fulfill some orders and did not tell you. I could careless if he fills them based on payment or otherwise because he does this at his own pleasure! And if there was a development hick up then based on past experiences refunds are as easy as the payment you made, so lighten up and be gratefully we have guys like Simius and many others producing these awesome software and hardware gems for us. Ok, now you can blast me and get off Simius! Mike

so people are above complaint when they getthings wrong?

great stuff. You sound like one of Simius' queue-jumping friends

no point in ever disagreeing with the clique round here is there

and FYI i have never asked for a refund - Simius is aware of the PM isent him, all i askis that when there are snags, the supplier PM those affected - you know in the self same simple way he PM'd us whe he asked us to pay for the upgrade

Edited by Guest

furthermore, it's somehow now going to be shipped "tomorrow" which smacks more to me of the seller looking after his friends first - regardless of when they placed their order, and only dealing withthis because i complained - how much longer would i have had to wait had i not "moaned"?

won't be buying from this seller again

Relax brenski, it will be worth waiting for ;) Simius should be applauded for his great efforts here.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, there is one more serious problem with 1200XL. Version for 600/800XL will not fit in 1200XL because of flash chip on the bottom side. Free space between CPU and MMU in 1200XL is significantly smaller than between CPU and 74LS14 in 600XL or between CPU and delay line in 800XL. Version for XE hasn't such problem but overrides the GTIA (it's important for VBXE owners) and is much higher than for 600/800XL, so I don't know, if there is a sufficient space under the keyboard. Can somebody to measure (e.g. with a piece of plasticine) minimal space over CPU and over MMU?

I'm affraid special version for 1200XL may be necessary.