IGNORED

New 4MB RAM expansion

Simius

Delivered today in the mail...

My 800XL has chip in the way so I will have to buy a 40 Pin socket to raise the board above the IC that is too tall..

The board raised with additional socket will not fit under the keyboard. You have the delay line in the socket? Just to remove it and short pins 6 and 7 in the free socket to make the lach 74LS375 transparent for the R/W signal.

Edited by Simius

The board raised with additional socket will not fit under the keyboard. You have the delay line in the socket? Just to remove it and short pins 6 and 7 in the free socket to make the lach 74LS375 transparent for the R/W signal.

Thank you for the quick reply now I don't have to buy a 40 pin socket.

OKay now I am in the Flasher selection and don't know how to proceed. QUESTION? Which slots are for basic and which slots are for OS.ROMs.

#0:

B

#1:

B

"

"

$7:

B:

0-7 set slot

Load/Save

Flash all

Reset buffer

ESC go to main menu

also the Configurator needs to run with X if using SpartaDos 447.

NEVER MIND I think I have it mostly sorted out now. After playing around some I have most of it Configured, but still confused some....

And does not seem to like my SIDE2 Cartridge..

Edited by rdea6

How much he doesn't like? How is it manifested?

I don't have the SIDE2 cartridge and I can't check it promptly.

I also have an Original Side (pre Lotharek) and I works ok. SIDE/SIDE2 have different register addresses. My Side2 locks up the Booting process during the load of the CONFIG.SYS file.

AND on another front I must have put a corrupted ROM into slot #5 and now my 800XL will not boot at all. It seems to be jumping to Self test.

Is there a way to un do what I did and get it booting from slot ONE again..

Edited by rdea6

If you put corrupted file to the flash ROM, you have to find a small jumper (marked: ROM) on the Antonia board and remove him. This way you can restore system. Without the jumper flash ROM is switched on the protected part with standard OS.

• Like 1

Thanks Simius!

This worked and now back to normal and bad rom slot have been re flashed with a good ROM.

I have tracked the problem with the side2 issue by removing and reinstalling DEVICE drivers until It froze with the ULTIME.SYS driver for the clock. So I am taking the clock driver out of the CONFIG.SYS

Next up I am going to test a MyDos and partitions on a Side (one) cart.

You have the delay line in the socket? Just to remove it and short pins 6 and 7 in the free socket to make the lach 74LS375 transparent for the R/W signal.

Which socket is the "free socket" and where do we short pins 6 & 7 on a 800XL? Do you have a pic of this or install instructions I missed?

Testing 4MB ram with MyDos and can not get Turbo basic to run.. I get to see the opening screen and then IT jumps back to DUP.SYS menu LOMEM is raised so I can not run The Last Word without a cold start to get the LOMEM back to normal.. Altirra Basic v151 does the same thing. Several other programs also will not start.

Turbo Basic is my main concern because a lot of my fun programs are written in Turbo Basic.

Using MyDOS, TurboBasic has a problem loading into a 65816 with linear memory enabled. The MyDOS code wraps around $0000 trying to load DUP.SYS, if I remember correctly. There are some fixes for it - one that I did that uses 65816 instructions to make room for a code patch. This will only run on a 65816, obviously. Other fixes have been posted that do not use 65816 code.

Either way, poke around in the forum. Or, use DOS 2.0...

Bob

• Like 2

The HK 800XL I chose to install the upgrade in I thought was a fully working, but it wasn't. Another has a Rambo-XL upgrade plus a Dual Pokey upgrade as well, but that one has some thermal problems, so I decided to pass on that one as well. I do have 2 other HK 800XL boards that were mostly populated so I decided to use those as parts donors to fix the first one I chose.

I spent a full day (12 hours) testing every single socketed IC in all 4 boards and ended up with two fully working boards :)

Installed the Antonia 4MB upgrade in the original chosen 800XL, connected power and video cables, threw the switch and crossed my fingers.

It booted up to the normal READY prompt, all is good :)

Ended up using a Dremel Tool to cut an opening in the top shield since the 65816 needs a little wiggle room. I used some tape on the bottom of the keyboard shield as insulation just-in-case. Re-assembled the 800XL and is now sitting on the desk awaiting to be put through it's paces :)

Edited by AtariGeezer