IGNORED

New 4MB RAM expansion

Simius

I was getting such a message when the cable was plugged back to front into the Antonia.

Also, provided the cable is plugged in correctly:

- Installed Quartus prime programmer standard edition ...

does this program support the CPLD which is used in Antonia? The one I programmed my board with is Quartus II 9.1 Web edition.

Edited by drac030

Thanks guys! I tried the correct connector orientation (PIN 1 at bottom) and tried again, and my computer would just blue-screen... So as per drac030's suggestion I tried downgrading to the 9.1 software.. same problem, and machine would bluescreen instantly when I tried to replace the usb-blaster driver with the one from that one... Anywho - I installed 9.1 fresh on my separate Win7 laptop, and everything worked like a charm. Detected, and worked with Program/Configure,Verify,Blank-Check all selected.

Then I poweroff the 600XL, plug my SIDE2 cart, and... still goes straight to ram test. Maybe Simius didn't actually send me the most current .pof file. I've e-mailed him, stay tuned...

Edited by Nezgar

Is this still available?

I was reading all about the RAM 320XL which doesn't appear to be available - and someone suggested this mod instead.

I'll read the previous pages tonight - but please - gimme a spoiler - are these still for sale?

I'm interested in one for my 800XL

Jim

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

just a quick question (or two) on this.

is there a general guide that has all of the info on this upgrade in one place?

ie - info relevant as per individual A8 models

■ what ICs need removal
■ if additional sockets are used
■ any adjustments needed to accommodate the board
■ differences in antonio boards/compatibility with each A8

• you have to remove two ICs - SALLY (C014806) and MMU (C061618) in all models

additional sockets are needed in 1200XL

no adjustment needed

the only compatibility differences is Atari BASIC presence in 1200XL and no Missile Command game in XEGS.

Edited by Simius

• you have to remove two ICs - SALLY (C014806) and MMU (C061618) in all models
  • additional sockets are needed in 1200XL
  • no adjustment needed
  • the only compatibility differences is Atari BASIC presence in 1200XL and no Missile Command game in XEGS.

so does U18 remain in place on 800XLs?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got it installed. The only issue was the delay chip was too high (800xl) so I had to pull it and short a couple pins (saw this in a previous post on this thread). I also couldn't get the RF shield back on; is that expected or am I just inept?

Tested some games that use > 256k and all worked great (default setup). Will play around with flashing OS's and additional memory settings later.

Now I just have to decide which video mod to apply; while this 800XL is in pristine condition (Chelco Hong Kong board, all socketed) the composite video is fairly fuzzy, though thankfully no banding, and the S-Video is just black and white. Feels pretty weird using an XL still, I'm really accustomed to the XE's but thought I'd change things up.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...