IGNORED

New 4MB RAM expansion

Simius

On 9/17/2019 at 5:47 PM, RollyD5000 said:

Thanks all, but I have a fully socketed Atari 800XL made in Hong Kong, and I'm at home now, trying it out, and, to be frank, no surprise at all, that it very clearly does not fit.

By chance, does your 800XL have an ALPS keyboard? That particular keyboard has a much lower clearance than the other (3?) types. Similarly, @tf_hh created an alternate version of his 512K upgrade to better fit in this machine...

3 hours ago, RollyD5000 said:

I have a thin ic socket that raises it up and absolutely prevents the case from closing

and to be clear, it isn’t remotely possible that there is a socket of any height that would both clear the chip in front and allow the case to close.  It is not close, it is in the realm of clearly not happening.  Also I have two Atari 800xl, full socketed.  Both have the same issue.   Pity.  At least i have two attempts at this but most likely scenario is I destroy them both :)  I will attempt to desolder the socket that holds the tall chip in front and lower the chip to the board

It is unnecessary. The only chip that interferes with the Antonia is the delay line (C060472). Just remove it together with all RAM chips. 

3 hours ago, RollyD5000 said:

it isn’t remotely possible that there is a socket of any height that would both clear the chip in front and allow the case to close.

Did you remove the bottom shielding too?  I have my ANTONIA in a 600XL with an AWC keyboard.  It's true that I had to really push down with some pressure to get the case to close and that the ANTONIA is surely making some contact with the bottom of the keyboard but I did eventually get everything to fit.  The case is screwed together tightly and there are no gaps between the top and bottom halves.  If it will fit into that tiny 600XL case, I don't see any reason that you shouldn't be able to get it to work inside an 800XL.

7 minutes ago, Simius said:

The only chip that interferes with the Antonia is the delay line (C060472). Just remove it together with all RAM chips.

I didn't remove my delay chip.  Is this a necessity or is it optional?  

5 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

why did I read 800Xl instead of 600XL?

ah I mixed up more that one post and didn't see it properly... face palm...palm... face (I think they're acquainted now)

Don't fret it.  Until just the other day, I apparently was confused in thinking that the PokeyOne and the PokeyMAX were the same thing.  I felt like a royal jackass when I finally realized *that* mistake.  I blame my old brain that's slowing turning to mush.  :party:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

why did I read 800Xl instead of 600XL?

ah I mixed up more that one post and didn't see it properly... face palm...palm... face (I think they're acquainted now)

Can blame the eyes too. 6 and 8 look a lot alike and our eyes aren't getting any better either.  I'm just glad I'm near sighted so I can still see the fine print pretty well.  Don't need those large fonts yet!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

some time ago I patched this program to work on atari (6502) and added a library of rom names (names taken from Altirra)

write to the author, maybe he will add this library

3362012800_1578472551.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I have now read through all 22 pages of this thread and understand that I can remove RAM, OS, BASIC and the two 74LS158 without any problems when the Antonia is installed.

What is a little confusing are the statements about removing the DelayLine:

Once it says you can remove it but you have to put a jumper between pin 6 and 7. Later it says in another post you can just remove the DelayLine.

Is it necessary to bridge pin 6 and 7 or can I remove the DelayLine without this bridge?

13 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

since a person may have such a pbi device in the future (knowingly or unknowingly) I'd say is it is necessary.

... so if it has no negativ effects, then i think it's a good idea to set this little wire-bridge. I will also connect the EXSEL pin to the corresponding position of PBI. Who knows if I will need this in the future.