IGNORED

New 4MB RAM expansion

Simius

Hey Simius, is it normal for the ram not to be cleared on a cold boot, or have I done something wrong?

It seems normal. Datasheet doesn't define maximum time to data lost. You done nothing wrong. Atari OS developers don't foresee such long time data keeping memories. Hardware cold reset would be useful. With IDE+ there is no problem.

Question: is it mandatory to mod 1200XLs up to XE spec (single OS ROM, EXTSEL hooked up to header) with this board, or is it optional? If optional, what functionality if any is missing?

Disable OS ROMs and RAM on the motherboard is mandatory. But the rest is not. EXSEL signal is usable only with some external devices and can be left unconnected. BASIC I can disable on demand in the CPLD programming phase or can be disabled by OS reprogramming (set PB1 permanently high).

Well this makes it a pain to use in a gaming computer.

Mine is a 130xe with a sio2sd loaded with games, I just wanted the ram expander to play with bigger demos and games,

Kinda ruins the mood having to wait a random amount of time before I can turn the machine back on to play a different game.

Anyone one here want to buy my ram board? Shipping from zip 37415.

Well this makes it a pain to use in a gaming computer.

Mine is a 130xe with a sio2sd loaded with games, I just wanted the ram expander to play with bigger demos and games,

Kinda ruins the mood having to wait a random amount of time before I can turn the machine back on to play a different game.

Anyone one here want to buy my ram board? Shipping from zip 37415.

A 10-15 second wait is common with most SRAM-based RAM expansions, especially those that replace the internal RAM as well. SRAM tends to retain data for a bit when power is removed unlike DRAM. Like mentioned above, some OS replacements support a "cold start" with a key combo that may help.

If you still really want to sell or trade it, send me a PM. I'd love one of these.

Edited by kogden

Disable OS ROMs and RAM on the motherboard is mandatory. But the rest is not. EXSEL signal is usable only with some external devices and can be left unconnected. BASIC I can disable on demand in the CPLD programming phase or can be disabled by OS reprogramming (set PB1 permanently high).

OK - so does this mean the device can be dropped into a stock 1200XL and used without further modification if there are no PBI devices and no VBXE? That's the state this machine arrived in: CPU and MMU removed and replaced by Antonia - nothing else.

OK - so does this mean the device can be dropped into a stock 1200XL and used without further modification if there are no PBI devices and no VBXE? That's the state this machine arrived in: CPU and MMU removed and replaced by Antonia - nothing else.

Nothing else.

• Like 1

Several OS use "magic keys" (shift + reset, select + reset, etc.) to provide a cold start without power cycling.

One of the best is the stock XL/XE OS patched with Hias' hi-speed code (and provides reset).

So, I'll give this a try this weekend, I just need to flash the patched file into the default slot correct?

Ok, trying tonight, and being an atari newbie, I need some help.

My equipment consists of 1 130xe, and a sio2sd device.

I've got Mypicodos images with games loaded in drives 1 thru 4, and a disk image containing the ant program and rom in slot 5,

So I boot off disk1 into the menu, then hit 5 to select disk 5 and then run ant.

Within ant I press F to go to the rom flasher menu, then select L to load, the O for OS, and it returns with the error

D:*.*

Error 130

Press Any Key

Pointers please.

Thanks.

Within ant I press F to go to the rom flasher menu, then select L to load, the O for OS, and it returns with the error

D:*.*

Error 130

Error 130 means "no such device in the system". In other words, there is no "D:" handler installed. You have to boot a DOS.

Ok, after many many attempts, I have finally found out how to do the following.

1. Get a dos image that boots on my sio2sd.

2. Edit the disk image using Atari 8-bit Disk Utility, and finally seeing that it defaults to saving a compressed atr.. (This is what took forever, same atr extension, but compressed and not usable on the sio2sd)

3. Getting past the remove cart message from ant. (Could you just say on that screen, on XL machines, hold option when rebooting to disable basic??)

4. Finally getting the os patched. Shift - Reset works great.

The board seems to work fine with this config, it seems to me that the major issues I ran into just getting the flash done is a lack of a good wiki on working with disk image and what programs are available.

Thank you Simius for your work and product, it does look great and was very easy to install. You might want to list in your doc page about the long cycle to clear ram.

Later,

dabone

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd like about 3 of these, but I think I can only have one or my wife may kill me ... Don't know if this'll go in 130, 65, or try to jury rig into an XEGS ... or maybe buy an XL just for the occasion :-)

How can I order/pay for 1, please?

The answer is always buy another machine to put it in ;-)

• Like 1