IGNORED

New 4MB RAM expansion

Simius

Hi, I am interested in getting this upgrade for my XEGS.

I don't have a floppy disk drive but do have an Ultimate SD Cart and could buy the Atarimax MyIDE-II CompactFlash Interface Cartridge if that would work.

Can some kindly give me some advice on how to get this to work for me without investing in a floppy drive?

Thanks so much.

I'm a little confused here. He says in the video that he had to upgrade the machine's base memory from 16kb to 64kb to get Antonia to work??

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in this thread that you don't need any dram installed in the Atari at all. That would make sense since the board has a replacement CPU and some ram already on it.

I'm a little confused here. He says in the video that he had to upgrade the machine's base memory from 16kb to 64kb to get Antonia to work??

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in this thread that you don't need any dram installed in the Atari at all. That would make sense since the board has a replacement CPU and some ram already on it.

I think that the extsel pin would have to be installed on any 800XL-600XL in order to bypass ram...

• 1 month later...

I have one of these 4mb upgrades on the way. While I wait, I'm looking into how I can take advantage of the extra RAM and OS slots.

1) What are people doing with the extra OS slots? I'm not familiar with the alternate OS's out their. Anything useful I should check out?

2) I have this strange desire to develop a game completely using my 800XL, not tethered to a PC with an SIO device so it will be old school. Are there any good assemblers/editors that can take advantage of the extra RAM? I'm thinking maybe using it as ramdisks along with the two floppy drives I have. Is there a good assembler and DOS that work well together on systems with expanded memory?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the suggestions ndary. I have a Happy drive so I'll have to check out Speedyos. I've loaded Omniview, Omnimon and Qmeg and have been playing around with them. It's very nice to have 8 OS slots with this upgrade. I've also been playing around with SpartadosX. I have the 8mb Atarimax version loaded on cart. It was very cool to boot it up and see a 4mb ramdrive in my little 800XL. :) I also found the windows utility that lets me add files to the CAR: drive in the SDX cart. I added the Antonia4mb configuration utility so now it's super easy to update settings but just popping in the cart and running the file off car:. I'm having a lot of fun playing with my new toy. :)

• Like 1

I'm going to be testing out the RAMD816L driver which supports linear memory to see if it speeds up ramdrive access. Has anyone tried out the 65C816 XL OS? Are there any benefits to using it with existing 6502 apps? Any benefits with SpartadosX?

Just to put this question in context. I am intending to setup my system to create game s/w on the machine. I want to be able to efficiently edit and assemble code. Anything I can do to speed up the assembly process will be helpful. I still haven't decided what tools I'll be using for editing or assembling.

My reason is simpler:

Upgrade 600XL memory without soldering, and without having to upgrade to 64k first (which other upgrades require)!

In fact, out will come the CPU, RAM, and ROMS for a nice, cool running system, since heat buildup can be an issue in the 600XL's smaller case.

Edited by GlowingGhoul
  • Like 1

I'm going to be testing out the RAMD816L driver which supports linear memory to see if it speeds up ramdrive access. Has anyone tried out the 65C816 XL OS? Are there any benefits to using it with existing 6502 apps? Any benefits with SpartadosX?

Just to put this question in context. I am intending to setup my system to create game s/w on the machine. I want to be able to efficiently edit and assemble code. Anything I can do to speed up the assembly process will be helpful. I still haven't decided what tools I'll be using for editing or assembling.

You need the 65816 OS to use Drac030's MultiBasic. MultiBasic has some limited support for accessing linear memory. And of course, you can create linear memory applications using the 65816 MAE assembler by John Harris. SDX has/had a linear memory ramdisk. Those are the only advantages that I can remember.

• Like 2