IGNORED

New 4MB RAM expansion

Simius

Hi! Just wanted to add praise for Simius's Antonia 4MB board, and it's surprising added benefit to me. It tested well on one machine. Then, sheer joy!

I was gifted a 600XL with a bad ANTIC (CO21697), CPU Sally 6502C CO14806 and CO60472-D (Delay). EVEN when I replaced those from known working ones it was all bad still with odd black striped screen. ANTONIA+ spare ANTIC and Delay fixed everything in this case. Some may be ONLY for the U1MB solution but in this case, ANTONIA is perfect. The price now also eats what I would have paid for a new Sally CPU, I now have an extra MMU, and after research of what else I can pull out RAM/Roms as spares! Plus, after screwing up what is said to be simple (64k ram upgrade), this ANTONIA also removes my need to but a soldering iron to the delicate board and the minor expense of 64k upgrade chips.

Huge thank you to Simius for this product!! Not only great for many A8s, it is PERFECT for the above story.

QUESTION: My 600XL is fully socketed. Which redundant ICs may I pull out and save for spares/another A8 that Antonia takes over for?

Edited by seastalker
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

My 600XL with ANTONIA board seems to have some incompatibility issues with my Ultimate Cartridge and with the XEGS carts that I have tried. Not a huge deal because there are workarounds because the UNO Cart and SIO devices all seem to work correctly. The 600XL was not upgraded to 64K before installing the ANTONIA; I'm not sure if this is related to my issues or not.

Edited by SS

My 600XL with ANTONIA board seems to have some incompatibility issues with my Ultimate Cartridge and with the XEGS carts that I have tried. Not a huge deal because there are workarounds because the UNO Cart and SIO devices all seem to work correctly.

Does your 600XL have a base 64KB upgrade done, and installed? Even though it is supposedly not required to have any RAM on the main board for Antonia, when I mentioned my SIDE2 incompatibility in a facebook comment, Nir Dary suggested to do the 64KB upgrade anyway to fix. I haven't done that yet in that 600XL, so can't confirm yet.

• Like 1

Does your 600XL have a base 64KB upgrade done, and installed? Even though it is supposedly not required to have any RAM on the main board for Antonia, when I mentioned my SIDE2 incompatibility in a facebook comment, Nir Dary suggested to do the 64KB upgrade anyway to fix. I haven't done that yet in that 600XL, so can't confirm yet.

No. This was a virgin NOS 600XL motherboard that I got from Best before I installed the ANTONIA. Everything else seems to work OK outside of these two issues.

Edited by SS

Has anyone installed the Antonia 4MB upgrade in their 1200XL?

(Bear with me as I’m not across the A8 line as well as I am with the ST range)

I have a stock 1200XL that I wish to install my Antonia in, but am wondering whether the flashable OSes can be used even though the OS chips in the 1200XL are somewhat different. I saw “sockets” are required according to a previous post, but that doesn’t give me any details ;)

TIA!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I have one in my 1200xl. You can remove the OS chips, they will no longer be used. The flashable oss work.

I gave this a try Frankie, and I'm wondering how you were able to plug the Antonia into the CPU socket without covering the MMU? Do you stack a few 40 pin sockets to get some height for the board?

I gave this a try Frankie, and I'm wondering how you were able to plug the Antonia into the CPU socket without covering the MMU? Do you stack a few 40 pin sockets to get some height for the board?

Yes, sorry I didn't mention it, I forgot I had to do that. One socket was all that was needed.

I was going to upload an image -- how do you add to "My Media". I did it in the past but can't remember how.

Frank

• Like 1

What is the compatibility status of Antonia with Side2 cartridge as of now? I have already asked Jacek and waiting for an answer before ordering but I am also interested in opinions from everyday users.

Have you noticed any problems? Can Side2 be used both in SDX and Side Loader?

Pretty sure you can just remove the MMU. Antonia takes over all of its functions. Worth a try anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

New 4MB RAM upgrade is appeared.

Features:

1. W65C816 CPU (standard 1.77/1.79 MHz clock)

2. 4MB configurable RAM

3. 512kB Flash ROM for 8 sets of OS+BASIC

4. 7-bit non-volatile configuration register

5. No soldering if MB socketed.

Possible RAM configurations is provided in attached document.

Should be available within 1 month, when will functional tests be complete.

Supposed price: US$60

Is somebody interested?

Take my Money, please!!! Yes, definitely interested.

Send friend Paypal link and you will get $$$ right away.

-Jeff

• Like 1