IGNORED

Are the ColecoVision and Intellivision flashback consoles worth getting?

Bixler

The Intellivision controllers are unique and yes, even then, a lot of us who didn't own the system but had friends who did struggled mightily with using the disc. You do get better with more use, of course, but it will probably never feel as second nature as a good joystick or d-pad.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The Coleco Flashback was well worth it to me, but like a lot of people have already said, I enjoy the Coleco FB for what it is. I tend to think of most FBs as additions to the collection, but Not replacements for the originals. I do find it strange that my A/V modded ColecoVision (with that simple Ben Heck mod that was so easy even I could do it), looks better than the Flashback. Also of note the controls for the FB are Not compatible with the original, though if you get one of those Edladdin Coleco Controllers, they could be.

I find emulation weird in that every once in a while something is just off...I can't remember right now anything on the Coleco, but I Do know that in the latest Atari Flashback, if you play Dark Cavern (one of my all time faves) that the robots could hug the walls on occasion and dodge your shots, which is something that never happened in the original.

I do also have the Intellivision Flashback but I haven't opened it yet, so I'm of no help there...maybe I'm waiting for a rainy/snowy day ...

I bought both the CV and the INTV versions. I think the INTV is clearly the better of the two.

If you just want to play a few classic old games, and don't want to spend the money to get the 'real thing', they are okay.

Imagine you are really thirsty for an ice cold Coke, but the vending machine only has some no-name cola.

Does it taste as good? No. Will it quench your thirst? Likely yes - but there's a chance it will just make you angry you didn't get a real Coke.

• Like 1

Imagine you are really thirsty for an ice cold Coke, but the vending machine only has some no-name cola.

Does it taste as good? No. Will it quench your thirst? Likely yes - but there's a chance it will just make you angry you didn't get a real Coke.

If the fake Coke cost a quarter or less than the price of a real Coke, then maybe it puts things in perspective. The Flashbacks may not be perfect, but they're significantly cheaper than a real console (even without a minimum composite video mod) and all of the included games (or a multi-cart).

I'm thinking the hardware and software (and not just digital stuff; I'll leave it at that) coming from AtGames later this year and into 2017 may start to change some minds as well. There's some great stuff going on behind the scenes here.

• Like 6

If the fake Coke cost a quarter or less than the price of a real Coke, then maybe it puts things in perspective. The Flashbacks may not be perfect, but they're significantly cheaper than a real console (even without a minimum composite video mod) and all of the included games (or a multi-cart).

I'm thinking the hardware and software (and not just digital stuff; I'll leave it at that) coming from AtGames later this year and into 2017 may start to change some minds as well. There's some great stuff going on behind the scenes here.

Stop teasing about that stuff!

(At least we know whatever it is will be real and a finished retail product ;) )

• Like 3

Stop teasing about that stuff!

(At least we know whatever it is will be real and a finished retail product ;) )

It kills me I can't talk about all the different projects. I think I've put in more hours working with AtGames the past month and a half than I have in almost the past year and a half with no sign of slowing down.

• Like 6

I bought both the CV and the INTV versions. I think the INTV is clearly the better of the two.

If you just want to play a few classic old games, and don't want to spend the money to get the 'real thing', they are okay.

They're not perfect, but IMHO they're pretty darn good. It's not like the NOAC hand-held Inty from a few years back with reprogrammed games - I think that's probably a better analogy. The Inty was my first console in the early 80s, I still have it and I played a good amount of Intellivision over the years. I still like the Flashback unit. Same for the CV. In fact, I like the Flashback better than my original units because the controllers aren't so stiff and uncomfortable. I get that my bar is probably not as high as some people, but the controllers are great, they play the real games not reprogrammed versions, they're cheap and they're convenient. They got a whole lot right. Even if you have the original consoles (like me), I think most people will enjoy the Flashbacks and they're worth getting for either the convenience or for the games you don't already have. Just my 2c.

Edited by BydoEmpire
  • Like 2

They're not perfect, but IMHO they're pretty darn good. It's not like the NOAC hand-held Inty from a few years back with reprogrammed games - I think that's probably a better analogy. The Inty was my first console in the early 80s, I still have it and I played a good amount of Intellivision over the years. I still like the Flashback unit. Same for the CV. In fact, I like the Flashback better than my original units because the controllers aren't so stiff and uncomfortable. I get that my bar is probably not as high as some people, but the controllers are great, they play the real games not reprogrammed versions, they're cheap and they're convenient. They got a whole lot right. Even if you have the original consoles (like me), I think most people will enjoy the Flashbacks and they're worth getting for either the convenience or for the games you don't already have. Just my 2c.

Was the handheld Inty from ATGames? Unfortunately, I too always have a negative association with ATGames. I like the Flashbacks, but the first thing I bought from them was a Mobile Genesis, and it worked great for the built-in games, but the cartridge slot wore out almost instantly...I think I'd only ever changed out games 3 times or so, so no more Ultimate Qix (My far and away Favorite Genesis game)...But again I've really had No Problems with the Flashbacks so I try and be forgiving and support them...

And from what Bill says, it sounds like they've got some good stuff on the horizons...

• Like 1

And from what Bill says, it sounds like they've got some good stuff on the horizons...

From my testing of one of the two Atari offerings, I think there's a LOT to be pleased about and look forward to this year. I have yet to test either of the Sega offerings. The hardware lineup expansion planned for 2017, should it come to pass, should prove interesting as well.

Software-wise for this year, there's going to be some interesting stuff for modern PC's and consoles, although that still all has to be finalized. I see no reason it won't be happening, though. Again, AtGames is on fire at the moment and I suspect that the general impression of the company should start to change for the better, i.e., not only inexpensive, but also better quality stuff that should even have more appeal to harder-to-please enthusiasts.

• Like 5

The Coleco Flashback was well worth it to me, but like a lot of people have already said, I enjoy the Coleco FB for what it is. I tend to think of most FBs as additions to the collection, but Not replacements for the originals. I do find it strange that my A/V modded ColecoVision (with that simple Ben Heck mod that was so easy even I could do it), looks better than the Flashback. Also of note the controls for the FB are Not compatible with the original, though if you get one of those Edladdin Coleco Controllers, they could be.

I find emulation weird in that every once in a while something is just off...I can't remember right now anything on the Coleco, but I Do know that in the latest Atari Flashback, if you play Dark Cavern (one of my all time faves) that the robots could hug the walls on occasion and dodge your shots, which is something that never happened in the original.

I do also have the Intellivision Flashback but I haven't opened it yet, so I'm of no help there...maybe I'm waiting for a rainy/snowy day ...

Wow!

They say Speak of The Devil...And He appears!

Also they say be careful what you wish for... (Maybe it applies?)

Yesterday it was nice enough I went on a bike ride (about 61 Degrees),...But Today it is an absolute BLIZZARD and I am snowed in!

Maybe later I'll break out that Intellivision Flashback and give it a test drive...

• Like 3

I'm sure you could imagine my advice in reference to that. It did actually come up, but not initiated from the AtGames side.

Now you got me intrigued.

If AtGames did not initiate the conversation and you obviously made sure they stay away from the fumes, then is there a third party?

Did you/AtGames bump into Mr Lee by any chance? :)

EDIT: also given the amount of press about the CC debacle I can see another marketing genius (Mike 2, the second coming) trying to capitalize on it.

• Like 2

Now you got me intrigued.

If AtGames did not initiate the conversation and you obviously made sure they stay away from the fumes, then is there a third party?

Did you/AtGames bump into Mr Lee by any chance? :)

EDIT: also given the amount of press about the CC debacle I can see another marketing genius (Mike 2, the second coming) trying to capitalize on it.

I don't really want to go into details, but overtures were made when the project was still active.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I love my Colecovision Flashback. While it is awesome, it will never be a substitute for the real thing. The Flashback sadly misses a lot of my favorites. Games like BurgerTime, Carnival, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Frogger, Mousetrap, Mr. Do!, Popeye, Q*Bert, River Raid, Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle, etc. are missing (probably due to licensing issues). However, it does have some of my favorites like Cosmic Avenger, Destructor, Frenzy, Gateway to Apshai, Miner 2049er, Oil's Well, Pepper II, Venture, and Zaxxon.

As for the homebrew games on the Flashback: I enjoyed Princess Quest and Ms. Space Fury.

• Like 4

• 3 years later...

The ColecoVision flashback has a very good selection of games.  But, the emulation is off and the controller are absolute crap.  Still, if you can find it cheap, definitely pick it up.  The Intellivision flashback, on the other hand, is really a good product and I can highly recommend it with good emulation and controllers that feel really close the the Model 1 versions.

On 3/22/2016 at 2:13 PM, Bill Loguidice said:

From my testing of one of the two Atari offerings, I think there's a LOT to be pleased about and look forward to this year. I have yet to test either of the Sega offerings. The hardware lineup expansion planned for 2017, should it come to pass, should prove interesting as well.

Software-wise for this year, there's going to be some interesting stuff for modern PC's and consoles, although that still all has to be finalized. I see no reason it won't be happening, though. Again, AtGames is on fire at the moment and I suspect that the general impression of the company should start to change for the better, i.e., not only inexpensive, but also better quality stuff that should even have more appeal to harder-to-please enthusiasts.

Sounds great Bill!  Very much looking forward to seeing what all AtGames has to offer this year as I do think things are improving.  Take care and best of luck!

21 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

Sounds great Bill!  Very much looking forward to seeing what all AtGames has to offer this year as I do think things are improving.  Take care and best of luck!

Probably referring to Atari Flashback collections on Xbone and PS4 ...

3 minutes ago, FifthPlayer said:

Keep in mind that message from Bill L. is dated 2016.

... and later on, Switch and Vita. 

They seem to have moved on to big arcade machines now.