IGNORED

Season 5 - The New HSC - Week 6 = Pitfall II

S.BAZ

Wow! Is it just me or does this version seem extra hard? I can breeze right through the ColecoVision Pitfall 2.

EDIT: Grrr...just discovered the first couple of times I played I was playing a hacked version that had things in different places than I was used to.

Edited by jblenkle

Well, I took my first balloon ride, and collected my niece, but then the relentless attack of condors and bats reduced me to utter frustration (and a score of zero). I can get the timing right on these things occasionally, but not in consecutive fashion, as I repeatedly return to the last "healing station". I don't know if I'll continue trying, as the frustration-to-fun ration has become a tad unwieldy.

• Like 1

Well, I took my first balloon ride, and collected my niece, but then the relentless attack of condors and bats reduced me to utter frustration (and a score of zero). I can get the timing right on these things occasionally, but not in consecutive fashion, as I repeatedly return to the last "healing station". I don't know if I'll continue trying, as the frustration-to-fun ration has become a tad unwieldy.

That's where I got with it, too. I even stayed in one place for awhile practicing over and over, getting the timing right, but then I'd get tired of the tedium, zone out, and start dying again. Not sure if I'll try again or not.

MODERATOR NOTE: Bonuses revised! instead of a possible +2, we can all possibly earn +6!

1. Cliffhanger Bonus: Reach a score of 99,000 or more for (+2) bonus.

2. Solved Bonus: Find Rhonda, recover the diamond ring and rescue Quickclaw to finish the game for an extra (+2) bonus points. A perfect game earns (+3)

3. Additional Bonus: Post a pic. Pitfall II is noted for it's music! Mention another 2600 game which features some special tunes & post a pic (+1)

Edited by JacobZu7zu7
  • Like 2

post-34560-0-75505800-1456306843_thumb.jpg

took a couple days to shake the rust off

I love this game! this (and H.E.R.O.) is what got me hooked back into playing atari a few years ago. i think the music makes it especially fun so i don't mind the tedium.

my only complaint is that it doesn't give you a timer to score your speed-run :(

i also thought the puzzle-element of Pitfall gives it an argument over the 2nd one...

• Like 5

post-10357-0-66519100-1456407687_thumb.jpg

First time ever perfect game. :party:

Bonus: Man Goes Down

post-10357-0-43974400-1456407682_thumb.jpg

Pretty cool bit of music on the title screen. It's a travesty that no one has finished programming this game. The original programmer obviously is never going to do so. Damn shame since it's such an addicting game.

• Like 8

attachicon.gifPF II.jpg

First time ever perfect game. :party:

Bonus: Man Goes Down

attachicon.gif101_0070.JPG

Pretty cool bit of music on the title screen. It's a travesty that no one has finished programming this game. The original programmer obviously is never going to do so. Damn shame since it's such an addicting game.

Awesome job darthkur!!! I knew you were the best at 2600 Activision games, especially from last year's patch quest! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Man, I almost forgot how rough that last section is. Those bats... Anyway: 105567. Got the girl, the ring, the mouse, and Quickclaw. I might give it another go later.

Also on the subject of music, I just so happen to have been working on a Pitfall 2 music arrangement the past few months. I've attached a small sample in case anyone might be interested. Maybe I'll post a thread sometime after it's done.

post-37527-0-96461400-1456461916_thumb.jpg

pitfall_sample.mp3

Edited by Ramses
  • Like 3

Also on the subject of music, I just so happen to have been working on a Pitfall 2 music arrangement the past few months. I've attached a small sample in case anyone might be interested.

I like it a lot. Little bit shrill starting at 0.27, that could maybe be smoothened a bit around the edges. Otherwise: funny, but I was reminded of Monkey Island. There isn't any piece in any MI soundtrack that's too close, but to me, it has the same feel to it. A good thing.

attachicon.gifPitfall II (1B) 169700.jpg

took a couple days to shake the rust off

I love this game! this (and H.E.R.O.) is what got me hooked back into playing atari a few years ago. i think the music makes it especially fun so i don't mind the tedium.

my only complaint is that it doesn't give you a timer to score your speed-run :(

i also thought the puzzle-element of Pitfall gives it an argument over the 2nd one...

Yeah, the lack of a timer in this one takes away the need to figure out the most efficient route. I didn't time my run, but Oyama's video is 13 minutes, so Pitfall II can actually be finished faster than Pitfall.

The main knock I have on it is, like a lot of Activision games, it's "memorize and execute." Nothing ever changes. Even H.E.R.O. on random is the same levels, just in a different order.