IGNORED

Learning To Love Asteroids

mikey.shake

IMG_20160222_071333.jpg

It may have taken a long time, but it finally happened.

When I was a kid, we used to go over to my dad’s Aunt Helen’s house. Her teen kids’ Atari was in the shag-carpeted, wood-paneled, beanbag-sporting basement rec room that we lil’ sprouts would gather in at family parties. That machine was like magic, completely mesmerizing me with electronic gaming. We’d gather around it on the floor and play while the grown-ups socialized upstairs. I can’t remember all the games they had, but I have very distinct memories of about a half-dozen that flickered across that screen: Kaboom, Megamania, Frogger, Pitfall, Space Invaders, Keystone Kapers, and Asteroids.

As I grew up through the NES age, I never lost my love for the classics, but my secret shame among my group of “retro gaming” friends (though we didn’t have a term for it in the late-‘80s and mid-‘90s), was that I never liked Asteroids. It was iconic, and I remember enjoying whizzing along in a spaceship and shooting stuff when I was a tot, but as someone who liked video games, I just never took to it. I wouldn’t tell anyone -- that’s like saying you hate Pac-Man or Donkey Kong. It’s understandable to hate Defender -- it’s too hard! But Asteroids? Everybody loves Asteroids. Except me. The strange gravity, lack of reverse thrust, the arcade’s “button only” controls, the unfairness of the hyperspace respawn (always right in front of a space rock!). It just made me mad. Repeatedly. So I was never any good. And in that "Silver Age of Console Gaming", I had enough other games with more flash and “tighter” space shooter controls to draw my attention, so I never got good at the older model. Of course, I couldn’t knock the game. I mean... It’s ASTEROIDS. It wasn’t a bad game.

I just hated it.

So, flash forward to this week. Money’s been tight lately, and while I still have the urge to buy games and stuff, I’m generally trying not to cross any of the “high-ticket” items off my wishlist. I’ve got all the games I can reasonably play (via flash carts and an already fleshed-out collection), so to scratch that collecting itch, I’m sticking to cheap stuff ($10-ish). That lends itself to filling in some small gaps in my Atari collection.

The other day, my wife and I took a trip to a game store that I knew had a shelf or two of boxed Atari stuff in varying conditions, thinking, “Maybe I’ll find something fun.” [The guy that works there is a motormouth schmo with ears like a hawk who loves to eavesdrop. I told Mrs. S as we went in, “Don’t encourage him. Just get in and out without interacting. Do not engage.”] One of the categories on my wishlist has been to get decent-condition boxed copies of those “Aunt Helen’s basement” games. The idea that, if all my other stuff went up in smoke, I could start over with just those games, in boxes, in good condition. To once again seed the garden. After all, those were the ones that sparked my love in the first place, and should therefore be crown jewels in my collection. I've already got several of that handful. comb through what they've got, and spot a copy of Asteroids. The top flap is a little thrashed in spots, but with a supposed "buy-one, get-one” deal, I can score it for $5. I hem and haw and almost don’t but then I do. "Sure, why not?" The fact that I'm not a fan makes the box damage easier to swallow. Even though it’s at the bottom of my short "boxed Atari wishlist”, I decide it’s a classic and cheap and will be a nice addition to the collection.

As a gamer, I don’t tend to collect cardboard boxes. To each their own, (except people that only buy sealed games and never open any -- I don't understand that at all), so when I buy a boxed game, I try to make sure to get the game out and play it a bit to make sure I’m not just paying for paper (again, to each their own). To my mind, I bought a GAME. Why not have a little fun with it? Sure, I’d played Asteroids plenty of times. Usually for a couple minutes, and usually immediately before playing something else in frustration. But damn it, why not give this chestnut a fresh chance? If it didn’t take, I could put it on the shelf and that’s that.

Well, after about 5 minutes in a dark room with a six-switch, wood-grained gaming console and a big CRT television, I started to get hooked. I was into it. I paged through the manual and turned on the UFO/satellite. I experimented with hyperspace/shields/flip (I like traditional hyperspace the best). I put my nose right up against the TV and blasted those things into debris. Probably lost an hour to it before I had to get some sleep.

Then, yesterday, after a few more unexpectedly long rounds of the game, I finally got around to loading a new rom onto my Harmony Cart: Space Rocks. Why hadn’t I played it before? Well, I wasn’t much of an Asteroids fan. But, boy howdy, it is the finest version of that game I’ve played outside of an O.G. arcade cab. I could not have picked a better moment at which to first experience it. I can only imagine the glee with which it was met by longtime Asteroids devotees. It’s all the gameplay I’m suddenly realizing I like, along with a masterful presentation, lots of options, and great graphics. In the dark, I can even see the phosphor glow around the “vector” style graphics option. But not only is it sooooo much fun, but even though I’m new to the game, it’s giving me everything I would want from an Atari VCS/2600 home versions of (*ahem* “based on”) Asteroids. I already thought that SpiceWare's Darrell Spice Jr. was a genius because of his re-imaginings of Warlords ("Medieval Mayhem") and Berzerk ("Frantic") for the Atari VCS/2600 system, but now consider my mind officially blown. Mr. Spice, thank you so much for your work on these games and for generously releasing a ROM to the public to play in our flash carts and emulators, along with the physical release. Once money starts flowing again, Space Rocks just jumped to the top of my list of “homebrews to buy on a cart”.

[in fact, I’m repeatedly stunned by what some of the modern programmers can do. I have later consoles, 8- and 16-bit, and even though those can theoretically get “closer”, some of these games have been perfected for me on the Atari console. Even with additional processing power, Space Rocks, and the sensational Pac-Man 8K, are not only my favorite versions of those games “for an Atari console”, but my favorite ports of those games ever.]

I actually like the game enough, I think I’m going to build my own Starplex controller. I’ll post some questions elsewhere soon about how to wire up a DIY box full of buttons. I’ve wanted one to use as my secondary Stargate controller, anyway, and this is a better excuse, especially since I can’t afford the forty bucks to buy one right now. I might even try to pick up another copy of the game in a sharper box, I’m loving it so much. [Though, feel free to PM me if you’re looking to unload a Starplex in a week or two. That woodgrain is something else. ;) ]

So yeah, sign me up as a freshly-minted Asteroids fan. It’s funny... 30 years on and still making new discoveries about games I thought I was “so over".

Maybe one day I can even learn to enjoy RPGs.

tl;dr: I used to not like Asteroids. Now I do.

Edited by mikey.shake
  • Like 15

What a wonderful story! :)

Unlike you, I was an Asteroids fan from way back. It was probably the second or third game we ever got for our VCS BITD. I was pleased as hell to finally grab another copy last year when I got back into 2600 gaming. First game I played after 30+ years and I could still roll the score with 7 or 8 extra lives ... Like you, along the way I discovered the ROM for Space Rocks and fell in love. When I decided to finally buy a physical homebrew, Space Rocks was the first one I bought. It's genius, the Platonic ideal of "Asteroids." :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not that crazy about Asteroids on the 2600. I don't hate it; it's a decent enough game, but I have to be in the mood for it. UFOs and "hard" asteroids should have been the default option rather than the brain-numbingly easy game that ended up being game variation #1.

For Asteroids console gaming, Rockaroids on the Vectrex is my jam.

Great Story!!

Asteroids is one of my favorite games for the 2600 and I also enjoy the arcade version as well. Nothing like listening to the Jaws inspired sound as you are shooting down and avoiding all of the multi colored rocks. In my opinion it is best played late at night with the lights out. :)

Welcome to the club mikey.shake. Asteroids is my all time favorite arcade cabinet. I'm still able to turn over the score 2-4 times when I play a game.

Until Space Rocks came along, my favorite version had been the one for the 7800, but Space Rocks took care of that. - Thank you SpiceWare.

By the way, if you have a 7800 and own Asteroids Deluxe (by Pac-Man Plus) there is an hidden gem on that cart (Asteroids Vector Edition). Have really enjoyed playing this version (with the lights off of course) the past several days.

All of these are versions are great with a joystick, but do yourself a favor and buy or build a StarPlex like controller. Each of these games really shines with a StarPlex.

Happy Asteroids!

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/image/14765-playing-asteroids/

I still have my textured lapel button from the Asteroids contest at Woodfield Mall. It's cool. As you look at it from different angles the ship would appear to enter the asteroid field. I was unbeatable throughout the whole day's tournament.

So are you still unbeatable? :)

I still have my textured lapel button from the Asteroids contest at Woodfield Mall. It's cool. As you look at it from different angles the ship would appear to enter the asteroid field. I was unbeatable throughout the whole day's tournament.

Please provide a pic of the lapel button.

I'm out of practice on Asteroids, but can still play a good game. My talents are now with Missile Command. Any version, anywhere, anytime baby!

Have you played the 2600 trackball version? For whatever reason, I don't enjoy some games with 2D targeting using a joystick. I was surprised to find I might like the same game with TB control.

(I actually never played the arcade version of Missile Command)

Yes. I have. I've played a lot of versions, and remakes. My favorite being VCS, Atari 400/800, and the Arcade. I actually like the trackball/mouse hack for the VCS version.

Missile command with a joystick is kinda riffle-raffle, mouse and trackball work nicely.

On the Apple II I used my Space "thing-a-whatever" digitizer to guide the cursor around. It worked, but somehow I was nonplussed. I wonder how a light-pen or light-gun version would be?

Please provide a pic of the lapel button.

It is currently packed away with my TRS-80 Pocket Computer collection. Same rubbermaid tub. But here is what it looks like, from atarimania -- http://www.atarimania.com/goodies-atari-2600-vcs-pins-badges-medals_2_2.html

I suppose the correct term is lenticular lapel button. But it is rather large, at nearly 3" diameter for lapel usage. Lenticular describes the shimmering 3 or 4 frame animation.

Ha! Those were the first aimated gifs!!

• Like 1

It is currently packed away with my TRS-80 Pocket Computer collection. Same rubbermaid tub. But here is what it looks like, from atarimania -- http://www.atarimania.com/goodies-atari-2600-vcs-pins-badges-medals_2_2.html

I suppose the correct term is lenticular lapel button. But it is rather large, at nearly 3" diameter for lapel usage. Lenticular describes the shimmering 3 or 4 frame animation.

Ha! Those were the first aimated gifs!!

That's pretty cool. I've spent many hours playing Asteroids in the arcades over my lifetime, but never entered an official contest. I did, however, enter the Space Rocks Tournament at last years Classic Game Fest in Austin. I was fortunate enough to win and that was really fun. :)

For those of you that haven't purchased a copy of Space Rocks, do yourselves a favor and get one. I highly recommend it, as do others!

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1031

http://atariage.com/forums/gallery/image/14763-signed-space-rocks-te/

• Like 1

Asteroids was the very first 2600 game that I ever played -- it was a pack-in along with Combat. It is also my favourite 2600 title. I now play it in the Atari Anthology on my phone, PS 2, and PC.

-1 for the can of Moxie hiding in the background of the picture. That stuff tastes like carbonated cough syrup :woozy:

• Like 1