IGNORED

Any love for Atari Flashback Space Invaders?

I understand right, you put a R-Pi in them? Neat.

I suppose then in a way they *do* appeal to hardcore gamers and modders. Nothing wrong in that. I'm always thinking of, but never acting on, new ways to house R-Pi computers.

Latest idea was putting one in my Call of Duty limited-edition Monster Energy Drink cans. Or a soup can to make a poor man's Mac PRO..

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/207386-my-mame-console-idea-need-feedback/?p=2684132

I've rebuilt it since then, adding 'RetroPie' and other emulators to it. (I wish the new version of MESS/MAME was compiled for Debian). :(

• Like 1

Ah, intriguing... Were I to guess, I'd say Vanguard because of the tune ripped from the Flash Gordon soundtrack.

I would not say Vanguard, because it was released in 2011 as a Mini for PSP/PS3 (PS Store link) completely intact. Both the Jerry Goldsmith Star Trek: The Motion Picture/Star Trek: The Next Generation theme and the Flash Gordon tune stayed.

My money's on Flojomojo's guess . . . which I will not repeat, so that we may have TWO mysteries in here! :o

I guess I still don't fully understand, but perhaps Taito just wants one of their flagship arcade titles represented in a near-arcade-like fashion rather than the excellent-for-it's-time-but-not-especially-arcade-like Atari port.

Back when the FB4 hit retail, I asked Taito about this directly. The response was that they only consider the original arcade Space Invaders as the one true Space Invaders. Unless their attitude changes someday, I wouldn't expect 2600 Invaders to ever officially be re-released in any medium. :(

onmode-ky

My money's on Flojomojo's guess . . . which I will not repeat, so that we may have TWO mysteries in here! :o

I wish I could remember what you're talking about. Oh well, it's fun to be quoted and I hope I'm right, whatever I said!

There have been Konami titles remade in interesting ways on retro collections and plug-n-play systems in the past. Maybe it was one of those.

Edit: I remember now. I've said too much! :-D

Back when the FB4 hit retail, I asked Taito about this directly. The response was that they only consider the original arcade Space Invaders as the one true Space Invaders. Unless their attitude changes someday, I wouldn't expect 2600 Invaders to ever officially be re-released in any medium. :(

onmode-ky

I guess I kind of get where they are coming from... it's in their interest to promote their original creation. I kind of wish they felt strongly enough about it that they would only allow the original arcade games's ROM to be used instead of a look-alike-port.

Still, Atari's port of Space Invaders was a huge hit and is definitely part of Invaders history, introducing the game to millions of people who otherwise wouldn't have played it at all. It would be nice of them to allow it to be included alongside the arcade version labeled as "Atari Space Invaders" to differentiate it. It could even be buried as an Easter Egg if they really didn't want it to be a featured title.

I guess I kind of get where they are coming from... it's in their interest to promote their original creation. I kind of wish they felt strongly enough about it that they would only allow the original arcade games's ROM to be used instead of a look-alike-port.

Still, Atari's port of Space Invaders was a huge hit and is definitely part of Invaders history, introducing the game to millions of people who otherwise wouldn't have played it at all. It would be nice of them to allow it to be included alongside the arcade version labeled as "Atari Space Invaders" to differentiate it. It could even be buried as an Easter Egg if they really didn't want it to be a featured title.

I think the ports are interesting and wish the rights holders did, too. So many retro magazines, websites and YouTube channels are into comparing versions of the same game on different platforms. I remember a great old site called "The Emulator Strikes Back" that had all the Star Wars games in different formats. I'd love to see a project (commercial and legal, or ... not) that showcased things like this. Remember the way Parker Brothers sold its cross-platform ports?

Popeye+system.JPG

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Yep. I wonder if this means other Parker Bros games will be included...

Unfortunately just about every Parker Brothers game was a licensed property of someone else, whether it was an arcade game, or a popular character from movies, television, or comics. So Frogger wasn't really PB's to share, just like Popeye, Reactor, Tutankham, Star Wars, Spider-Man, Super Cobra, or any of the other fine games they did. I'm glad most of them can be loaded onto the SD card of the official Atari Flashback portable, though.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I think the ports are interesting and wish the rights holders did, too. So many retro magazines, websites and YouTube channels are into comparing versions of the same game on different platforms. I remember a great old site called "The Emulator Strikes Back" that had all the Star Wars games in different formats. I'd love to see a project (commercial and legal, or ... not) that showcased things like this. Remember the way Parker Brothers sold its cross-platform ports?

Popeye+system.JPG

That's a cool ad. I miss those days.

• Like 2

That's trippy. Are you going for a psychedelic experience like Space Invaders Extreme?

Thanks! I wanted to make it a different experience - more chaotic with speed and wild physics for the 40th.

I like the Space Invaders Extreme ports hypnotic effects and the tour guide, watched that for 20 minutes.

• 1 year later...

got a Flashback 8 out of a free pile the other day. (i only have had the Flashback 2 until now.) trying out Space Invaders and sadly the coding is sloppy - it's possible to advance to the next level with one or two invaders still alive, and i once saw the ship instantly teleport when hit, rather than exploding. there was another issue i noticed - will have to try it out again to remember what it was. and why is the high score set to all nines?

I thought they did a great arcade like port. It does seem rather strange mixed in with original Atari titles. I do really like the original Atari 2600 Space Invaders. It was great for the time. The Atari 8 bit port is really nice looking/fun too. 

And YES those Parker Brothers ads were awesome. Some ports to systems where better than others. I remember loving my ColecoVision at the time and I thought Parker Brothers did a good job with Q-Bert for it. Atarisoft had some decent ports to the old ColecoVision too. 

Edited by retrorandy

• 3 weeks later...

I never understood the appeal to the Atari Flashback. I own a real Atari 2600 console just like most who are on this site and my thought is we already have these games why is it users complain when a game is different from what you already own on the real console. I would think it would make better logic to have differences or completely new games or the same game with extra stuff like new variations of the game or additional players. One thing that has appeal to me is hacks for example one of the flashbacks sponsored a Yar's revenge hack that has the Quotile in the center of the layout and the safety zone surrounds the Quotile and the game was way harder. That is the sort of thing I look forward to. I own most the the flashback systems not because I had interest in them but rather I bought them at a discount so I could see what differences there were being most of then were a Nes on a chip. For example Super breakout game 7 progressive mode has a sad graphical error that places bottom bricks to low and the ball goes right threw the graphic ignoring it looks like a wall or brick is there. Sadly this is not a good change in fact not only is it bad but its probably a but that could not be caught because most of their testers do not have the skill to see such errors.

I would like to see a modern console come out that is pretty cheap do to limited hardware yet open for anyone to code with pre set tools for beginners as well as full ability to code and have a online store inside the software that allows users to purchases other peoples games. Modern gaming is all about graphics these days but if a console had limited hardware we can get some proper 2D gaming back on the map. Lets make games hard again that do not require instructions to figure out.

Over all I got to ask for those of you who are looking to buy the upcoming flashback or have bought a older flashback. Why did you buy it I especially want that answered if you own a real Atari 2600.

The answer is in the product name. People who still own and play Atari won't need or want a Flashback. There are lots of people who remember the old games. These folks are unlikely to jump thru the hoops needed to get an old console working on a new screen, or get into acquiring old cartridges. Flashback is easy and ready to roll. 

Related: why do people buy popnfresh dough when they could just bake bread from scratch?

On 9/25/2019 at 6:26 AM, Flojomojo said:

The answer is in the product name. People who still own and play Atari won't need or want a Flashback. There are lots of people who remember the old games. These folks are unlikely to jump thru the hoops needed to get an old console working on a new screen, or get into acquiring old cartridges. Flashback is easy and ready to roll. 

Related: why do people buy popnfresh dough when they could just bake bread from scratch?

I own an Atari and need a FB so I can play it on an HDTV.  I can't stand the snowy/grainy screen look when I hook it up so I keep it on my old tube TV.  The clear crisp picture I get with a FB makes for a better gaming experience, especially with multiple players.

On 9/25/2019 at 2:15 AM, overgrouth said:

I never understood the appeal to the Atari Flashback. I own a real Atari 2600 console just like most who are on this site and my thought is we already have these games why is it users complain when a game is different from what you already own on the real console.

There isn't any appeal. You already have the games in their best consumer format. No need to downgrade to the crap always-something-missing, always-something-different flashbacks. All the bitching is just bitching to bitch.

21 minutes ago, Keatah said:

There isn't any appeal. You already have the games in their best consumer format. No need to downgrade to the crap always-something-missing, always-something-different flashbacks. All the bitching is just bitching to bitch.

If there bitching to bitch and agree with eachother their running in an echo chamber of stupidity. However I still want there take on it knowing they more thwn likely have no valid point to offer up.

Flashbacks may be wanted as hardware placement or the aforementioned HDMI connectivity.

When the Flashback advertising says relive your childhood with the exact Atari games you grew up with, gamers instantly assume they get the exact experience with the hardware that they grew up with - when in fact the hardware is quite different from the 1977 release. And that affects the feel of the game. Hence even more bitching!