IGNORED

Shock Vision games are ROM variants

Lathe26

Ok, two things....what in the actual f*ck is that goop all over the board?!?! Please tell me that isn't 30+ year old man j*zz!

Firstly, I don't invite 30 year old men into my apartment. Secondly, I am 44.

Secondly, as you were describing the colour and texture I swear in my brain the next line was going to be

"And it tastes like..."

???

While I would describe the appearance to be like "slightly moistened brownie mix powder", I have not tasted it... yet.

• Haha 1

Ok... first off, I don't think I have a similar adapter "Só Pinball". I think that is the same adapter (photo taken before it got to my hands). ;)

It is difficult to backwards engineer the board since the circuit board is encased in some glob of material that adheres and obscures the board itself

The board has 6 chips on it. All are DIP packages that are 16-pin and maybe 14-pin (some chips are too obscured to be sure). They could be 7400-series parts.

Oh the irony, the pirates employ anti-piracy measures :)

Here is what I believe is a possible 6 chip 12K adapter design based on 7400 logic. It comprises five 16 pin devices and a single 14 pin chip, which I think is what we see in your pictures. It supports ADAR in addition to BAR and DTB bus phases.

However, I am sceptical that this is the actual design for a couple of reasons. Firstly it relies on the use of 2732 ROMs. I doubt the six 24 pin ROMs needed for Pinball would fit in the cartridge shell, I suspect that 2764 or even 27128 ROMs were used in reality. However, doing this complicates the address decoding and requires latching of more than 12 address lines, which would suggest the use of octal latches which are 20 pin devices. Secondly, with this approach there is an obvious 5 chip solution for 4K and 8K games and we have yet to see the internals of an adapter with 5 chips. More thought required.

post-46336-0-13183900-1522606272_thumb.png

adapter12.sch.txt <--- Remove .txt extension to load to Eagle

Cheers

decle

• 2 years later...

This is my current list of the 50 known Shock Vision and Intelligame pirate carts, gathered from images on the internet.  Those with entries in the variant columns have been dumped and their status as ROM variations is confirmed (or refuted).  Known ROM variations only differ by a hacked copyright message on the title screen.  As a consequence, it is unlikely that any Mattel titles with stock title screens will be ROM variants.

image.thumb.png.cf0f595b57bf01f81ccc6997da59d504.png

Ricardo's images added quite a few new titles to the list, for example Astrosmash, Frog Bog, Golf and Sharp Shot.  However, whilst his collection is certainly the most comprehensive seen by some margin, it is still some way from being complete ;).  I still find it interesting that for a football mad country no version of Soccer has turned up yet on either Shock Vision or Intelligame.

@ricardowilmers, it is not clear from cartridge label in the image what game this is...

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-20 at 16.45.31.jpeg

Just for completeness, could you let us know what it is please?  Thanks.

Edited by decle
Added request for clarification of unlabelled cart
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, decle said:

This is my current list of the 50 known Shock Vision and Intelligame pirate carts, gathered from images on the internet.  Those with entries in the variant columns have been dumped and their status as ROM variations is confirmed (or refuted).  Known ROM variations only differ by a hacked copyright message on the title screen.  As a consequence, it is unlikely that any Mattel titles with stock title screens will be ROM variants.

image.thumb.png.cf0f595b57bf01f81ccc6997da59d504.png

Ricardo's images added quite a few new titles to the list, for example Astrosmash, Frog Bog, Golf and Sharp Shot.  However, whilst his collection is certainly the most comprehensive seen by some margin, it is still some way from being complete ;).  I still find it interesting that for a football mad country no version of Soccer has turned up yet on either Shock Vision or Intelligame.

@ricardowilmers, it is not clear from cartridge label in the image what game this is...

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-20 at 16.45.31.jpeg

Just for completeness, could you let us know what it is please?  Thanks.

I'll be photographing each game better and send it to you.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ricardowilmers said:

I have an Intelligame cartridge that is double ... I don't remember what games it has in it, I think it's a unique case in the world of a cartridge for intellivison with two games. The games are selected by a key

Beings you are selling your collection I'm still interested in your asking price. 

Once again @ricardowilmers has come up with some really intriguing pictures!  Let's start with this one, which confirms that Dracula is a ROM variant on Shock Vision:

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-25 at 16.01.31 (3).jpeg

However, Mission X does not seem to be on Intelligame:

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-25 at 16.01.58 (3).jpeg

Which is interesting because it is in its Shock Vision version:

image.thumb.png.ae32cc8f5d5221e6ac6adb1227d8a0ec.png

Then there is his switched AD&D / Dracula Intelligame cart.  This is not the only example of a switched Intelligame title, we have one with Swords and Serpents and White Water found by Intellivision Brasil:

However, I think this is the first time we've seen one with these titles.  Initially it looks as though AD&D might be a ROM variant:

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-25 at 16.01.32 (9).jpeg

However, I think this is just a glitch.  Firstly because the Dracula title screen is unchanged, and as we have seen with Shock Vision, tweaking this is easy.  Then there is an 1882 copyright date, and Copr becomes Bkpr and Mattel becomes Lapp`h.  This data is all located together in the ROM and with the exception of ' becoming e, each switched character is only one bit away from its correct value.  There is also another image with what appears to be the correct title screen.

Nonetheless, it is a cool cartridge and this is the first time we've gotten to look inside one, so thanks for showing us it's guts @ricardowilmers!  Internally it looks to be in great shape and is certainly a much more refined and sophisticated product than my copy of Intelligame Utopia, which seems to have been hacked together very cheaply (unbelievably it does still work!)

image.thumb.png.227be831e460d0485e8758c370da63bf.png

@ricardowilmers, thanks so much for sharing these images.  Before you ship this lot to @cmart604's dungeon of Intellivision ;), could you plug each Shock Vision and Intelligame cartridge in and take a picture of its title screen with the console and cartridge in view, just like this one you did for MissionX please?

An image like this is enough for us to confirm which game is which, and also whether it is likely to be a ROM variant or not.

Thanks once again.

48 minutes ago, decle said:

Once again @ricardowilmers has come up with some really intriguing pictures!  Let's start with this one, which confirms that Dracula is a ROM variant on Shock Vision:

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-25 at 16.01.31 (3).jpeg

However, Mission X does not seem to be on Intelligame:

Which is interesting because it is in its Shock Vision version:

image.thumb.png.ae32cc8f5d5221e6ac6adb1227d8a0ec.png

Then there is his switched AD&D / Dracula Intelligame cart.  This is not the only example of a switched Intelligame title, we have one with Swords and Serpents and White Water found by Intellivision Brasil:

However, I think this is the first time we've seen one with these titles.  Initially it looks as though AD&D might be a ROM variant:

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-25 at 16.01.32 (9).jpeg

However, I think this is just a glitch.  Firstly because the Dracula title screen is unchanged, and as we have seen with Shock Vision, tweaking this is easy.  Then there is an 1882 copyright date, and Copr becomes Bkpr and Mattel becomes Lapp`h.  This data is all located together in the ROM and with the exception of ' becoming e, each switched character is only one bit away from its correct value.  There is also another image with what appears to be the correct title screen.

Nonetheless, it is a cool cartridge and this is the first time we've gotten to look inside one, so thanks for showing us it's guts @ricardowilmers!  Internally it looks to be in great shape and is certainly a much more refined and sophisticated product than my copy of Intelligame Utopia, which seems to have been hacked together very cheaply (unbelievably it does still work!)

image.thumb.png.227be831e460d0485e8758c370da63bf.png

@ricardowilmers, thanks so much for sharing these images.  Before you ship this lot to @cmart604's dungeon of Intellivision ;), could you plug each Shock Vision and Intelligame cartridge in and take a picture of its title screen with the console and cartridge in view, just like this one you did for MissionX please?

An image like this is enough for us to confirm which game is which, and also whether it is likely to be a ROM variant or not.

Thanks once again.

? I mean, I do have a couple of Intellivisions laying around too. I could probably take some pics if need be. ??

On 2/25/2021 at 11:22 AM, ricardowilmers said:

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-25 at 16.01.55 (1).jpeg

20 hours ago, decle said:

I know it would a lot of work, but it would be awesome if someone could create schematics for one or both of these boards.  Alternatively, if someone created the net-list for these boards (i.e. a text list of what pin connects to what pin), then a schematic could be created.  These designs should be preserved.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lathe26 said:

I know it would a lot of work, but it would be awesome if someone could create schematics for one or both of these boards.  Alternatively, if someone created the net-list for these boards (i.e. a text list of what pin connects to what pin), then a schematic could be created.  These designs should be preserved.

I will get out my Etch-a-Sketch. Or if the border ever opens up again maybe you can do the wordy stuff you just said. ?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...