IGNORED

Your Top C64 Games

VectorGamer

I've downloaded 250 images from Gamebase64.com so far. Supposeably there's about 25,000 images on that site. I've downloaded images from some of the top publishers for the C64 so I'd like some ideas on what other games I should be checking out.

So how about your top games for the C64 so maybe I can get some ideas of what other games I should check out?

Re: the newer stuff, this thread was super helpful to me:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/245585-good-games-for-c64/

...Carlsson made a list of recent home-brews that are top notch. A lot of peoples opinions on their old favs exist there too, but some of mine include:

Ghouls and Ghosts

Commando

Golden Axe

Ikari Warriors

Mr. TNT

Microleague or Championship Baseball

Wizard of Wor

...any of the Atarisoft titles

Omega Race

Lode Runner

Pinball Construction Set

Xenophobe

Bomberman

Double Dragon

Ghostbusters

Kickman

Kung Fu Master

Oils Well

Rampage

Zaxxon

Tapper

Doh! Forgot to mention Scramble (and probably a few other amazing ports) and yes - incredible! Plays like a dream and looks/sounds amazing. :love:

Ultima IV remastered, Prince of Persia, Commando Arcade, DK Jr. and Ghosts & Goblins Arcade as well to name just a few more.

http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/06/ghostsn-goblins-arcade-stunning-revamp.html?m=1

Incredible translations that far exceed what you might think the C64 is capable of. It's as if the golden age of computing/gaming is back. Awesome time to be into the C64. Again! :)

Wizball is one of my favorites. Takes a little bit to learn the controls, but once you do it's quite fun.

The game has been heralded as one of the best ever original games to appear on the Commodore 64, it is noted for its originality and use of the C64 hardware via graphics, sound and general presentation. The control method has also been described as innovative, initially awkward, but adding to the playability when mastered. The readers of Retro Gamer in 2011 selected it as the second best game ever made for the platform

My favorites:

RANDOM:

Space Taxi

Commando

Bruce Lee

Conan

Zorro

Aliens

Rambo II

Beach Head

Beach Head II

Raid Over Moscow

Ultimate Wizard

Jumpman

Dino Eggs

Spy vs Spy I, II

Trolls & Tribulations

Kickman

Big Mac (the mad maintenance man)

BC's Quest for Tires

Karateka

Miner 2049er

Lode Runners Rescue

Pogo Joe (cool Qbert clone)

The Goonies

Super Boulderdash

Rescue on Fractalus

ARCADE/CLASSIC:

Oils Well

Bigtop Barney

Moon Patrol

Mario Bros.

Crystal Castles

Ms. Pac-Man

Donkey Kong

HERO

Pitfall II

Qbert

Congo Bongo (disk version)

Montezumas Revenge

Wizard of Wor

SPORTS:

Hat Trick

Hardball

Skate or Die

California Games

Rocketball

Super Cycle

Leaderboard Golf

Bop n Wrestle (also called Rock n Wrestle)

RPG:

Temple of Apshai Trilogy

Ultima IV

Legacy of the Ancients

The Bards Tale III

There's a lot more niche stuff and some games like the AD&D gold box games are probably best played on other platforms like the PC versions (much better and less disk swapping)

You should also check out some Text adventures like The Pawn and The Hobbit....

In no particular order:

Stuart Smith's Adventure Construction Kit

Racing Destruction Set

Kane

Raid Over Moscow

SSI's Gold Box D&D Games (although honestly, it's a lot more fun to play via GOG.com due to fast save/load times)

Bruce Lee

Temple of Apshai (series)

Impossible Mission

Trolls & Tribulations

Lazarian

Guest LiqMat

Only because it was the first game I ever bought (Mom bought) in 1983 when I was 12, the graphic text adventure Transylvania holds that special place for me. I'll never forget when my older sister's friends walked by my room and saw this game on my 13" TV and stood there in amazement that I was controlling this game from my C64. Completely different mindset back in those days. Not many people had been exposed to computers yet.

Edited by LiqMat

Guest LiqMat

I remember seeing ads for that and thinking it looked really cool. A few years ago I played the iOS port and had a lot of fun getting to play it (and finish it) after all these years.

At least you finished it. My hyperactivity issues back in the day wouldn't let me haha. :-o

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are many good to great games for the C-64. A few of the classics I still enjoy after all these years:

Impossible Mission

Impossible Mission II

Wizball

Blue Max

Boulderdash

Wasteland

Paradroid

Turrican

Realm of Impossibility

Lode Runner

These are off the top, there are loads more, but you can't go wrong with these.

• 2 weeks later...

I play alot on my c64 with an sd2iec and these are the top 20 games i find replay the most (some are hombrew/hacks/updated etc), if you want any of them i can zip it and send it to you:

armalyte

aztec challenge

beach head 2

bubble bobble

bionic commando

boulder dash

blue max

bruce lee 2

buggy boy

burger time

commando

creatures 2

exile

fairy well

flappy bird

giana sisters

ghost n goblins *2015 nostalgia version, not 1986

last ninja remix

mayhem in monsterland

rick dangerous 2

^ Curious if your version of Giana Sisters displays some blocky/flickery graphics from time to time? Mine does and on two different machines. And pretty sure I tried a couple of different dumps from different places too. When I watch the game being played on YouTube, I do not see these artifacts. Not talking about graphics that appear out of nowhere on the screen, but they're usually part of the bricks or other existing playfield graphics. A chunk of them will flash or get distorted for a fraction of a second as you're scrolling...

My favorites:

RANDOM:

Space Taxi

Commando

Bruce Lee

Conan

Zorro

Aliens

Rambo II

Beach Head

Beach Head II

Raid Over Moscow

Ultimate Wizard

Jumpman

Dino Eggs

Spy vs Spy I, II

Trolls & Tribulations

Kickman

Big Mac (the mad maintenance man)

BC's Quest for Tires

Karateka

Miner 2049er

Lode Runners Rescue

Pogo Joe (cool Qbert clone)

The Goonies

Super Boulderdash

Rescue on Fractalus

ARCADE/CLASSIC:

Oils Well

Bigtop Barney

Moon Patrol

Mario Bros.

Crystal Castles

Ms. Pac-Man

Donkey Kong

HERO

Pitfall II

Qbert

Congo Bongo (disk version)

Montezumas Revenge

Wizard of Wor

SPORTS:

Hat Trick

Hardball

Skate or Die

California Games

Rocketball

Super Cycle

Leaderboard Golf

Bop n Wrestle (also called Rock n Wrestle)

RPG:

Temple of Apshai Trilogy

Ultima IV

Legacy of the Ancients

The Bards Tale III

There's a lot more niche stuff and some games like the AD&D gold box games are probably best played on other platforms like the PC versions (much better and less disk swapping)

You should also check out some Text adventures like The Pawn and The Hobbit....

Some excellent choices there... many many hours spent on those as a kid...

• Like 1

^ Curious if your version of Giana Sisters displays some blocky/flickery graphics from time to time? Mine does and on two different machines. And pretty sure I tried a couple of different dumps from different places too. When I watch the game being played on YouTube, I do not see these artifacts. Not talking about graphics that appear out of nowhere on the screen, but they're usually part of the bricks or other existing playfield graphics. A chunk of them will flash or get distorted for a fraction of a second as you're scrolling...

Yeah for example on the first level. I've tried many versions too all the same issue or maybe its made that way no idea really.

• Like 1

Threw together a quick list in no particular order:

Bruce Lee

Post the original retail line:
Donkey Kong Jr (Doesn't entirely fit an NTSC screen; regardless, done really well)
Retail PAL only releases*:
*May run under NTSC machines with glitches (Rambo & PP), or has an NTSC conversion (DK Ocean).

Some excellent choices there... many many hours spent on those as a kid...

Oh yeah I was in high school at the time. We copied the crap out of these games, there was so much pirating and copying going on it was unbelievable. Sad really but that's just the way it was and none of us had any money. You would go to a friends house and they would have some stuff you didn't have like a couple of disks with a dozen games on them and you would say "Let me make a copy!".

• Like 1