IGNORED

SIDE2 cart, Atari 65XE, 64kb memory

jp48

Hi,

I got my SIDE2 today, with SIDE driver v1.0, SpartaDOS X 4.46a. Apparently I don't have enough memory to run FDISK for partitioning (getting '158 Out of memory), all .XEX works, no .ATR as expected. I can't find info how to edit/alter/replace needed drivers etc on cart to get it work with Atari disks for saving works (I don't play, use it for music tracking etc).

Also, testing some intros that run well in several emulators, simple 32b intros, which read system timer, write $D000, and POKEY, this might be Programming area, not sure,

Thanks in advance ! :) !

When that is your entire configuration, you will not have lots of fun using your setup for the tasks you have planned with SIDE2. SDX needs more memory (especially since you need a driver to control SIDE2)

You could use the loader for XEX yes... that works great.

You could buy an external memory upgrade here on AA from CTIRAD or you could go for an internal upgrade called U1MB but that needs (de)soldering skills in your atari.

• Like 1

CMC works perfectly (just can't save), played music tracks as .xex, also using RMT which exports XEX as well. So, only thing would be saving, which of course means partitioning the disk. I read it is possible to run FDISK in 64kb machine, just need to edit CONFIG.SYS, but I don't know what tools I need for editing/altering the SIDE2 part.

I have had tested all what I need (so far) in my 65XE, I have also SIO2PC-USB, which works great, I will check the extra memory although my original idea was keep the old system as "clean" as possible :)

Thanks !

Honestly I don't think you'll get SIDE.SYS running satisfactorily in 64KB. Most applications load around $2000 and some require "X" which raises MEMLO even higher.

You can boot from SIO2PC USB if you make an ATR, format it with SpartaDOS X (in Sparta format), and install the SIDE loader with fewer drivers in the meantime. With an ATR mounted on D1:, type ED, then enter the following:

USE OSRAM

DEVICE SPARTA OSRAM

DEVICE SIO

DEVICE ULTIME

DEVICE SIDE

Then his Ctrl+S, and save to D1:CONFIG.SYS. Now reboot the machine, and SDX should read CONFIG.SYS from D1:, giving you the lowest possible MEMLO with this minimal setup. You might at least be able to run FDISK, but I'm not hopeful.

Honestly I don't think you'll get SIDE.SYS running satisfactorily in 64KB. Most applications load around $2000 and some require "X" which raises MEMLO even higher.

Yep this is what I've been finding out lately as well. I can't even run the SDX re-flashing software without getting a 179 error (memory conflict) on my 64K XL. Gotta bite the bullet and install at least 128K of RAM. Or in my case change out the dual OS ROM sockets for a single 28 pin one, update the jumpers on my 1200XL to match, and then go ahead and install my U1Meg upgrade. End of story ;) .

- Michael

• Like 1

Thanks of the tips, all, I might test Altirra and partitioning image file, just for testing, but probably getting more memory,

Can't find this:

" external memory upgrade here on AA from CTIRAD"

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/232856-ram320xe576-order-thread/page-7?hl=%2B320xe&do=findComment&comment=3380773

I'm probably the only one, but I had two of these failing on several of my XE computers.

Aftersales service of Ctirad is very good though.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/232856-ram320xe576-order-thread/page-7?hl=%2B320xe&do=findComment&comment=3380773

I'm probably the only one, but I had two of these failing on several of my XE computers.

Aftersales service of Ctirad is very good though.

Interesting... we should compare notes.

These devices are beautifully produced, but the first one I received from Citrad seemed to fail intermittently (screen corruption or straight to self test in certain configs). He was very helpful and sent me a replacement, but the replacement device started to produce the same effects shortly afterwards. I'd assumed it was just my 65XE somehow damaging the device, and since I was deep in the development of the Ultimate Cart by then, I didn't get back to him (which I probably should have done).

Well.... first I had this one where suddenly the led lights did not work anymore, and the entire device wasn't seen anymore by the Atari.

There was also this part on the pcb (I believe it was the voltage regulator) that went extremely hot.

Ctirad exchanged the pcb and send me another. This one worked a bit, but failed also.

Strange enough, when I sent the two devices back, they worked fine at this place. I tested them in several XE's (I have enough XE's to do a good test) and in all they failed.

So it was probably the shipping-movement that repaired them in an almost magical way, or there is something really odd going on with my power outlet or the environment here. Not sure.

I have four other of these memory expansions, and those four work perfect. As said: Ctirad aftersales service is amazing; he is a good guy, willing to help, and although I had issues, I found the quality of the product very good. So what to blame here... I don't know. Perhaps just bad luck.