IGNORED

Atari Party 2016 - Northern California

billkendrick

Plans are underway for this year's annual Atari Party, being held once again in Davis, California (near Sacramento, and a 2-ish hour drive from the greater San Francisco Bay Area & Silicon Valley) -- Atari Party 2016!

ap2016_dragons_pre-t.png

We haven't picked a date yet, but I wanted to get a thread started here on Atari Age, in case anyone here on the forum is local*, and wants to help out at the show. It will be on a Saturday, from 12pm-5pm (with setup starting at 10am).

Atari Party is a free event, open to the public. There's no selling/trading/vendors at the event (it's typically held at my local public library). I've held it every year since 2009 (a few times were in Sunnyvale), with great turnout from the general public -- not just Atari geeks. ;)

* Though admittedly, folks have been coming from as far as Oregon to help run (& exhibit at) the show, and it sounds like some will be doing so again this year!

• Like 2

PS - Prior to this year's big Atari Party event, I'll once again be putting together a so-called "mini Atari Party", an exhibit of just a few pieces of my Atari gear -- along with help from two other locals -- at the Sacramento Indie Arcade Gaming Expo, on Saturday, April 9th. It's a (non-free) event put together by the Sacramento Chapter of the International Game Developers Association. (The main purpose of their annual event is to showcase local indie game developers who are working on games for PC/Mac, iOS/Android, and modern consoles.)

I have a little page with relevant links here: http://newbreedsoftware.com/atariparty/2016-igdasac/

• 1 month later...

Atari Party is scheduled for Saturday, July 30th, from 12pm-5pm at the Yolo County Public Library in Davis, CA, USA!

We'll have, at the very least, 2600/VCS, 5200/SuperSystem, 7800/ProSystem, XL home computers, Lynx handhelds, Jaguar consoles, plus non-Atari systems running Atari video games: Nintendo NES and GameBoy Advance, Sega Genesis, and Sony PlayStation and PS2. It looks highly likely that there'll also be a Centipede arcade cabinet, too!

​Spread the word, come if you can, and bring your friends! ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi Bill. I'm looking forward to going to the show and bringing some systems and gear to show off with my brother. He talked to you about bringing this Fiber Optic Atari Sign. I"ll try to bring an Atari Video Music system if I can find it as I packed it away for a recent move.

John

Edited by Lifeguard

Hi Bill. I'm looking forward to going to the show and bringing some systems and gear to show off with my brother. He talked to you about bringing this Fiber Optic Atari Sign. I"ll try to bring an Atari Video Music system if I can find it as I packed it away for a recent move.

John

Great, thanks John! I've added you to the volunteer page. Drop me an email (nbs@sonic.net) and we can chat more. And yeah, bring the Video Music if you can; we had one a few years ago, but they don't commonly pop up at my event.

By the way, here's what's coming, so far, thanks to 10 (and counting!?) volunteers:

• Atari 2600 (x4)
  • Atari 5200 (1-2)
  • Atari 7800 (x2)
  • Atari Lynx (x4)
  • Atari Jaguar (x3)
  • Atari 8-bit (x5)
  • Atari ST (x2)
  • Atari Portfolio
  • Atari Video Music
  • Nintendo NES (w/ Atari & Tengen games)
  • Nintendo Gameboy Advance (x2) (w/ Atari games)
  • Sega Genesis (w/ Tengen games)
  • Sony PlayStation (w/ Atari games)
  • Sony PlayStation 2 (w/ Atari games)
  • Modern Windows PC (w/ the latest Gauntlet)
  • Centipede arcade cabinet
  • ...and probably a bunch more, not yet confirmed

Also, we'll be having a free prize give-away where we'll be handing out:

• a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B (thanks Rob McMullen of Player/Missile Podcast)
  • an Original Nintendo Wii game system & games, gently used (thanks to my brother)
  • Edladdin Super 78 arcade controller (thanks to Ed Kelly)
  • Copies of Terrible Nerd by Kevin Savetz (thanks to Kevin & ANTIC podcast)
  • USB sticks full of ANTIC podcast interviews (ditto)
  • Game Art book (thanks to No Starch Press)
  • Python for Kids book (ditto)
  • Arduino Project Handbook book (ditto)
  • Learn to Program with Minecraft book (ditto)
  • The Manga Guide to the Universe book (ditto)
  • Blaster game cartridge for Atari 8-bits (thanks to Paul Westphal of Eight Bit Fix)
  • MacRorie's R-Time 8 Replacement cartridge for Atari 8-bits (thanks to Marlin "MacRorie" Bates, who'll also be exhibiting)

Also, Bob "bob1200xl" Woolley and Nir Dary, and maybe also Rob McMullen, will be dropping by! Lx Rudis (Atari Lynx sound & music programmer), Dan "Trak-Ball man" Kramer (maybe?), and other Atari folks are likely to show up, too! It'll be a blast!

Hey Bill, I am located in the Davis area, as well. What can I do to help out? I'd love to be involved.

Cool! Well, if you're interested in bringing any game or computer systems, you're welcome to do that. Otherwise, we're always happy to get help unloading & setting up in the morning, and breaking things down and loading back up in the evening. I'll need someone to make sure everyone who drops in gets raffle tickets for the prize give-away (and I doubt one person will want to do that the entire time, so would be nice to have a few people who can share that duty). People who can relieve exhibitors when they need to hit the restroom, grab some food, or just get up & stretch & check out everyone else's set-ups, would be welcome, as well! (aka, make sure nothing gets stolen, broken, misplaced, etc.)

Email me (nbs@sonic.net), and check out all the info on the website, if you haven't already http://newbreedsoftware.com/atariparty/2016/ Thanks!

• 1 month later...