IGNORED

Question about paddle jitter

Lumi

A few months ago I bought my first pair of paddle controllers. I was a little worried that they would have some jitter, but surprisingly, they work fine. I felt very lucky (and it makes me feel a little better about being price gouged by eBay).

It got me thinking though, is jitter something every set of paddles will go through at some point? I take great care of my retro stuff and do my best to keep it from getting dirty, dusty, or damaged. Would that reduce the likelihood of these paddles developing jitter, or do they just naturally break over time?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question!

Paddle controllers will always have jitter. Buildup of dirt, grime, and particles will get into the potentiometer and the controller will lose it's precision. It's something that you are going to experience and it will develop even if it sits in an enclosed space all protected over time as well. Over time you will need to open them up and disassemble it and spray some contact cleaner around the potentiometer. They are a pain in the rear but something that will need to be done once in a while.

Paddle controllers will always have jitter. Buildup of dirt, grime, and particles will get into the potentiometer and the controller will lose it's precision. It's something that you are going to experience and it will develop even if it sits in an enclosed space all protected over time as well. Over time you will need to open them up and disassemble it and spray some contact cleaner around the potentiometer. They are a pain in the rear but something that will need to be done once in a while.

Ah, thank you. Will putting them away and keeping them clean at least delay the inevitable a bit?

Edited by Lumi

One note: in my experience I have found that actually USING your paddle on a regular basis will reduce jitters, and possibly extend the "smooth" life of them to the point of non-issue, especially if you have, at least once, applied Caig ProGold to it (or perhaps something similar).

Edit: also note: Deoxit cleans, & ProGold enhances metal-to-metal electrical conductivity. Use both for best results.

Edited by fiddlepaddle
  • Like 1